Willowhaunt's City of the Spider Queen

Willowhaunt

First Post
You have recieved an urgent summons to the hall of Randal Morn, ruler of Daggerdale. Morn has governed the war-torn dale for over four years now. Under his guidance, much of the damage done by the decades-long Zhent occupation has been repaired, and the folk of Daggerdale have begun to prosper again. The story of Randal Morn's heroic resistance against the Zhents and the restoration of his throne is widely known throughout the Dalelands.
The Lord of Daggerdale does not stand on ceremony and he personally greets each of you at the doors of his hall. As each of you arrives, he lead you to a comfortable study lined with bookshelves, and calls for refreshments. When all six of those who were called arrive, he begins. "I thank you all for coming so quickly. I had heard that skilled experts such as you were coming through the area, and I have a problem that needs solving."
"Several days ago, a band of Drow raided several farms and freeholds about ten miles south of here. A number of people were killed, and the marauders caused much damage. Local militia tracked the drow band to the vicinity of an old set of crypts on the western edge of the Dagger Hills. Rumor has it that these crypt conceal an entrance to the Underdark."
"Three nights ago, the Drow raiders returned again and caused even more damage. I think the time has come for a group of heroes with strength and initiative to put a stop to these raids. We haven't had trouble with the dark elves in Daggerdale for hundreds of years, and I don't have much of any idea why they would target us all of the sudden. Can you help me?"

Last edited:

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
Tadius nods, "This indeed seems like a grave situa-- bad. Bad situation. Indeed, I would like to help you. Do you know how many raiders there are? And how frequently they attack?"

Willowhaunt

First Post
Randal regards Tadius, replying "Our trackers estimate about a dozen drow, all on foot. The attacks began a little less than a tenday ago. There have been two raids, one about seven days ago, and another three days ago."

Last edited:

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
Wimzig Tinsnipper, cleric of Gond, and Aegis Ward, Gondsman construct

*On one side of the room stands a rather short and slender gnome, his dark brown hair gathered back tightly to the back of his neck with a small bronze ring. He wears a loose, earthy-yellow, knee-length vest full of pockets. He carries with him a great deal of tools, and clanks like a tinker when moving about. Around his neck is a bronze gear and a clear stone circles his head. Next to him is human-sized and shaped creation made from metal and wood. A metal-reinforced barrel makes up the torso, while joined pieces of pipe make up the arms and legs. An full-visored helm makes up the face, inlaid with gems and precious metals to make the visage. It wears a chainmail shirt, carries a warhammer at its side, and a backpack on its back.*

"Terrible, terrible news to hear of such destruction. Terrible. Yes, we would be glad to help you, very glad to aid you. And so considerate, yes considerate to know where they might be, yes indeed. With a bit of preparation, we can leave soon, quite soon!" Wimzig says in his usual meandering way.

deadestdai

First Post
Jenlan, Dragonsong Lyrist & Bilix, a Copper Dragon Wyrmling.

Taking a puff from a small, cobb pipe, the gnomish bard smiles, squirms forward on the cushion provided (To better aid him in his bid to see over the tabletop.) and took a breath to offer his own reply - when down from his ceiling perch fluttered Bilix, right in front of Jenlan's face and offers, Beggin' yer pardon human, but why has the Lord of this area not sent out his own troops to chase off these rascally elves?. Still hovering in mid-air, he is gently pushed to one side by a miffed looking Jenlan.

What my friend is trying to say Lord Morn, is that I am sure your own policing forces would be too thinly spread to take on this job and that we would gladly-

But!

Accept-

But!

Your-

But!

Quest.

Bilix huffed. You really are quite rude sometimes Jenlan! And fluttered up to sulk in the rafters. Jenlan merely smiled apologetically at Lord Morn with hands outspread and sat back, cobb pipe already in the corner of his mouth.

Not standing too far from Jenlan and Bilix is a blue skinned and white haired humanoid. His green eyes watch the two for a moment, and a hint of a smile etches itself on his features. Idly tugging at the faded purple cloak with one hand, Cowan speaks up in a flowing, and oddly watery sounding voice, "I will gladly assist where I can...however I am curious as to why the Drow would attack here of all places. Forgive me, but there do seem to be many more areas that would provide better targets..."

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
*Wimzig looked at the little dragon with interest, cocking his head to the side. The mechanical man at his side makes an odd, soft sound that echos strangely within his head.*

"Yes, yes it's understandable that you don't want to leave the village undefended while your guards run around in catacombs. That's why you hire outsiders, yes yes, hire outsiders..."

Willowhaunt

First Post
Morn turns to Jenlan. "You're right," he sighs, "I fell that my militia is undermanned, underequipped, and not well-trained enough to meet the dark elves in battle if there prove to be more than twelve of the raiders. If the rumors of an entrance to the Underdark are true, I doubt my army, as it currently stands, could hold them off. I need a group that has a bit more skill, who can gather information as well as stop the threat. I would join you myself, but I am far too busy with political duties here."

Then, he regards Cowan. "I agree. I have no idea what we have done in the recent past to provoke this kind of attack. I need you to find out, so we can be prepared for whatever comes next. I don't know what is going on, but I would rather not take any risk by leaving my people vulnerable or provoking attacks that I might be able to prevent..."

Last edited:

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
Wimzig Tinsnipper, cleric of Gond, and Aegis Ward, Gondsman

"Well, there's a reason it might be this place, yes indeed this place. If it's not so large, not so important, could be a good place, very good place to establish an outpost, yes yes indeed," Wimzig says thoughtfully.

deadestdai

First Post
Jenlan nodded along with the other gnome. Or a staging post? For conquest of the day-lit lands! He hopped on his cushion and gesticulated with his hands, eyes wild with fantastical whimsy. From the depths they came, skins as dark as their hearts! Poisoned swords and poisoned spells - something something something darts!.... The bard frowned. Or was it carts? Frethvelen's work wasn't really my forte'.

A bitter voice from the rafters piped up. In your case it'd most likely be something to do with far-

That's enough Bilix.

-ts. And the fledgling dragon burst into a fit of the giggles whilst Jenlan sank back onto his cushion mumbling with a frown.

Remove ads