• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Polls forbidden in Off-Topic forum?

Quasqueton

First Post
Well, I do report them as bad post when I see them. Mmmmm, sorry.
Why? What is the inherent problem with off-topic polls?

Not that I want to post a bunch of off-topic polls, mind you. [I have none in mind, at all, actually.] I just am curious what the problem is that popular demand was to forbid them.

Quasqueton

The "No Off Topic Polls" policy is almost as old as the "No Religion or Politics" rules. Why? Well, I couldn't say exactly, but I've definitely seen a bunch of off topic polls that just don't have any point at all.

Of course, I'm starting to think that the Off Topic Forum, itself, is getting a little cluttered with about a thousand Hivemind threads, even if only one has the 'official' title.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Quasqueton said:

Not that I want to post a bunch of off-topic polls, mind you. [I have none in mind, at all, actually.] I just am curious what the problem is that popular demand was to forbid them.

Quasqueton

General board rule and as Ankh-Morpork Guard said.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Quasqueton said:

The problem is not with the polls, it is with the people.

I recall when the polling feature was introduced, before the rule was in place. People posted off-topic polls like crazy. The mods even waited to see if the newness would rub off, and the OT polls would slow down, but they didn't slow down enough. They were severely cluttering up the forums, and so were banned.

I think there's a tendency to think of a poll as "not really a thread", so people will do it lightly. And I think people feel it is easier to be funny with a poll than with a piece of fully-written prose, so when someone wants to make a commentary, they start a joke poll rather than write a post. But as far as the forum lists are concerned, they are threads, and 17 different joke polls all spoofing one another isn't constructive.

diaglo

Adventurer
isn't this a meta question?

edit: i mean... if you want to ask off topic polls and see if the mods will allow it, shouldn't it be in meta.
not this thread in particular

Dinkeldog

Sniper o' the Shrouds
The issue with OT polls is that when they were initially allowed, there were tons of polls that served no reasonable or gaming purpose; they cluttered the forum. The moderators/admins have recently been discussing this with a leaning toward allowing non-mindless/silly OT polls especially with the inclusion of the OT forum. To my mind, that means the Age poll is okay, because it actually serves a purpose, but the Wienermobile poll doesn't pass muster.

We realize that this means that we have some grey areas that people won't like. Some people won't appreciate the fine lines we'll sometimes draw. Tolerance will also likely vary as the OT forum flood volume varies.

Also, this is subject to revocation by Morrus at any time if he starts getting overly annoyed.

Quasqueton

First Post
Note: I am not asking this to defend the Weinermobile poll. It just so happens that this subject came to my attention (and curiousity) because of that poll.

The moderators/admins have recently been discussing this with a leaning toward allowing non-mindless/silly OT polls especially with the inclusion of the OT forum. To my mind, that means the Age poll is okay, because it actually serves a purpose, but the Wienermobile poll doesn't pass muster.
So the Weinermobile poll is "mindless/silly"? I would think it has a better chance of serving a "purpose" than the "I am el-remmen" thread, or the "It's Piratecat's Birthday" thread, or the "The genie grants you one wish" thread, or the "Ask Brain" thread, or the "Bumping makes Baby Budda Cry" thread (16 pages long!), etc. At least an answer and/or information will come of the Weinermobile thread (for my use anyway :).

Half or more of the Off-Topic forum threads are mindless/silly/useless. By intention. If no one complains about those threads, let them run. But it's silly for someone to complain about a thread just because it has a poll attached to it.

Quasqueton

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads