• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Cleaning a battlemat

Rel

Liquid Awesome
Ok, I'm a dumbass.

I have been using what I thought were wet-erase markers from a pack from the dollar store. But after drawing on my battlemat and then leaving it for a week, I've got stains from a black marker that don't want to come off.

I know I've seen threads here about this before but I don't have any links to them and can't search.

Any help?

Charwoman Gene

Adventurer
ThirdWizard said:

The scary part is that this might work.

Most Permanent Marker is Alcohol-Soluble, so try denatured alcohol.
(Vodka is significantly weaker. Grain alcohol is about as strong, which is why it is illegal in my state.)
TRY AT YOUR OWN RISK!
THIS MAY DISCOLOR OR DISSOLVE YOUR MAT!
TEST A CORNER FOR PROBLEMS.

Steel_Wind

Legend
This isn't exactly the advice you requested, but... having faced a similar situtation long, long ago, I can tell you what NOT to use.

DO NOT use any strong solvent like ...say...nail polish remover.

It is not that nail polish remover will not get rid of your stain. Let me assure you that nail polish remover will nuke that stain so badly it will be like it never existed.

But it's like crossing the streams. It's A Bad Thing<TM>.

Because it will also wipe out all the lines on your battlemat and most of the brownish/biege coloring underneath too. :) In one gentle swipe of a paper towel, your battlemat will be utterly and irretrievably destroyed.

Just... thought I would share. :D

Last edited:

Lhorgrim

Explorer
I'll second Steel_Wind. Be careful!

A friend of mine ruined his mat by using some kind of bathroom cleaner on it. The stuff removed everything, including the grid.

Charwoman Gene gives some good advice. Test a corner to make sure the cleaner won't damage the mat.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads