Heroes, Inc - Heroic Mercs in FR OOC Thread

DM_Matt

First Post
So I've wrapped up my home game and moved to a new town. So now it seems a good a time to start up a PBP. I'm going to base it on the plot of my home game, so much of the story will been "playtested" and revised. I'm going to give the players a bit of flexibility though in how to proceed.

I'm looking to run a mid-high level game (starting somewhere between L12 and 15, depending on player preference) in which the characters run a major mercenary operation (Or perhaps you'd rather be called "Security Consultants" ) out of Waterdeep that specializes in especially public, difficult, and heroic cases. I have a metaplot, but I'd rather have the details of the PCs general situation be up to them.

Any takers?

Last edited:

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
DM_Matt said:
Any takers?

Ooh, gosh... absolutely!

I've said for years that I'd love to play in a CSI: Waterdeep game. I know that's not quite what you're describing, but it certainly caught my eye!

-Hyp.

DM_Matt

First Post
Hypersmurf said:
Ooh, gosh... absolutely!

I've said for years that I'd love to play in a CSI: Waterdeep game. I know that's not quite what you're describing, but it certainly caught my eye!

-Hyp.

It is and it isn't. It will still have a pretty high-arching metaplot, but it will have lots of investigation and city focus, too.

Other ideas:
The rest of the mercenary company will be given some shape. Likely you will get to have a couple support characters of about your own level in addition to lower level guys -- at most a Seer, a Healer, and an Artificer, who facilitate from the base and handle some day-to-day operations.

Also, if you wish, your compound can be a "character" of sorts. You can build it using SBG rules, and it will have a value equal to the DMG recommended PC wealth for the average party level. When that level changes, the base (usually, unless external conditions make it illogical) "levels" too, moving up to the value of the new level. This is based on the assumption that under normal circumstances the company is sufficiently profitable to grow at a pretty good clip so long as its headliners are getting it notoriety and success through their great deeds.

maddmic

Explorer
I might be interested. I've been wanting to join another game. What kind of character creation rules would you be looking at?

Torillan

First Post
I'm interested. I like the premise, and haven't played in levels much higher than 8-9 yet.

I'd be interested in a sort of "Infiltrator" role, most likely a fighter/rogue whose specialty is getting into those "hard to reach" places without attracting unwanted attention.

Just a thought, but I'm also pretty flexible.

DM_Matt

First Post
maddmic said:
I might be interested. I've been wanting to join another game. What kind of character creation rules would you be looking at?

32 pts. Generally, WotC 3.5 generic or FR materials are fine, but I reserve the right to add or subtract. If you want something that is 3.0 or Ebberon, ask and I might allow it.

Ranger Rick

First Post
[sblock]I assume this group would have several rogue types and few muscle tanks?

I would like to go with a straight rogue. The guy who can get past any trap or lock. Obviously to be a 'safecracker/locksmith' I would like to be as high level as possible to get the decent skill points.

Background - Kaarlo Koskinen is an elf that noticed at a young age he could fiddle with locks. He soon learned to enter any "locked" domain. Chests or doors where inconsequential. No one had privacy if Kaarlo Koskinen was on the prowl. He was soon known around waterdeep as a go to guy if one needed to open a vault. The people who organized "Security Consultants" knew they needed a guy who can get passed the passive modern security systems in place around the region. The came to Kaarlo Koskinen and he enjoyed the camaraderie & spoils of the group and decided to stay as an employee. Since that time Kaarlo Koskinen has gone and become part point many as well. His sharp eye and alert ears have been able to eliminate surprise ambushes that occur in the narrow alleys. Kaarlo Koskinen has also been known to find out information that is not common knowledge.

Lvl 14
Str 10
Dex 24 (+2 racial +3 level +2 gloves)
Con 7 (-2 racial)
Int 16
Wis 14
Cha 8

HP 42 (14d6 -28)
Fort 10
Reflex 21
Will 13
BAB +10/+5
AC 23 (10+4+6 dex+3ring)
Init +9

Ranged +17/12 Long Bow 1d8/x3 (under 30’ +1 to hit/damage= +7d6+1) (against evil +2d6)(against incorporeal normal damage) Range 110'
Melee +20/15 Rapier 1d6+3 15-20/x2 (Flank damage +7d6)

Feat: Nimble Fingers, Weapon Finesse (Rapier), Improved Critical (Rapier), Improved Initiative, Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot,

Skills Ranks Mod Synergy Total
Balance 10 7 2 19
Craft Lock 5 3 0 8
Disable Device 17 3 4 24
Escape Artist 0 7 6 13
Gather Information 10 -1 2 11
Hide 5 7 10 22
Knowledge (local) 5 3 0 8
Listen 15 2 2 19
Move Silently 14 7 0 21
Open Lock 17 7 8 32
Search 14 3 2 19
Sense Motive 17 2 0 19
Spot 17 1 2 20
Tumble 7 7 0 14

Possessions: Ring of Protection +3
Ring of Chameleon Power
Mithral shirt with a Spell Resistance (19)
Boots of Speed
Gloves of Dexterity +2
Cloak of Resistance +4
Vest of Escape
Rapier +3
Longbow, composite (Holy Ghost Touch)
Efficient Quiver
60 arrows

Back pack - Thieves’ Tools, Masterwork; silk rope 50’; waterskin; bedroll, caltrops, fish hook; flint&steel; grappling hook; mirror; spade; 3 days of rations
Gold 18

Languages: Common, Elven, Orc, TBD

Class: Sneak attack +7d6, trapfinding, Evasion, Trap Sense +4, Improved Uncanny Dodge, Crippling Strike Feat
[/sblock]

http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?p=2350567

Last edited:

Keia

I aim to misbehave
I'd be interested. Thinking Telepath if you're allowing psionics. Otherwise, a rogue/diplomat type.

Keia

Remove ads