The Misfits: Behind the DM screen...

Ashy

First Post
First off - any of my players (and you know who you are) - DO NOT READ.... (piss off! Go on, go away! Shoo!) ;)
Ok, now that they're gone, time for the good stuff! :]

Ashy

First Post
Ok, gang - my party will be getting an armload or two of goodies next session and I want some really wierd, cool stuff that they will like. What I am looking for is low to medium level magic items that will have unexpected or odd uses - not entirely geared towards combat, either. Stuff that could be considered cool and somewhat useful, but not "OH WOW - I'VE ALWAYS WANTED AN X, AND NOW I'VE GOT ONE!" ;)

You know, I would rather a mirror that grants a +4 to all Bluff checks when held as oppossed to a +3 flametongue, but make the mirror...you know...wierder. :twisted: Also, unique non-magical treasure (i.e. a mindflayer candellabra) or really unusual items (i.e. a scarf that randomly animates and verbally provides advice) are more than welcome!

The general setup is: ancient, fallen elven city that has been corrupted over the millenia by fiends and illithids. Specific setup is: the party has fallen (literally) into the long-dead husk of a gargantuan fiendish spider that lies at the bottom of a tremendous cobweb-filled chasm. All of the dessicated victims (or what remains of them) can be found in the cobwebs and strewn along the chasm's rocky bottom.

Here's a list of the main items held by the party:
http://themisfits.10.forumer.com/viewforum.php?f=4&sid=0669a2e47af5165ddd927379be11c783

Unleash the ideas! ;)

P.S. Thanks to some of the folks over at the RBDM forums, I've gotten some of the following excellent ideas. Please, feel free to post more, however! :D

----------​

The Faithful Step: This blindfold made from black widow silk enables its wearer (or if you like, only a cleric) to move as if under the effects of an Air Walk spell as long as the wearer is effectively blind.

The Cat's Meow: This lyre is made of polished oak, with strings of cat's whiskers. a bard using this instrument can use bardic music as if he was one level higher (with the respective additional rank in Perform). Furthermore, once per day, he can cast a spell using this lyre as Heightened without extending the casting time. However, all felines within 500 yards (feet? 5 miles? adapt as you want) must succeed at a will save (DC 13) or gather around the bard. Normal cats automatically fail this save.

Drowbane beacon: This hooded lantern was constructed from finest dwarven mithril and used in defense against underdark dangers. The lantern's shutters can be opened or closed seperately, but the lantern cannot be lit. Instead, a 45ft. cone extends from each open shutter. Within the confines of this cone, no darkvision will function.

Forest Flute: This small flute was made from willowwood. For a bard, it is a masterwork flute (+2 to perform (flute)). Anybody can use the flute to mimic the sounds of forest animals; a character (bard?) with at least 5 ranks in perform (flute) may mimic the cry of any specific animal it knows (if you want, may HD = character level). Once per day, the owner may cast Speak with animals as a caster of his character level; once per week the owner may take the shape of an animal as if he were a druid of his level (no elemental or dire shapes). (Druids may or may not gain one additional use of shape change instead)

Hi Ashy, here are a few I've dug out of my old tattered papers on Ice, Luck and Honour, and then a few more I made up just now...

Spirit's Whisper Large Shield +2
A large black and grey shield with a stretched ghost's face on the front side. The item is the vessel for an imprisoned ghost. When initially found, the shield's face will be dull and lifeless, but it will become more life(death?)-like the more the user wields it.
- Shout 1/day. The huge stretched mouth blasts forth a scream of negative energy, as per the Shout spell. Thing is, the spell is modified so that it has not only a sonic attack, but physical repercussions. Same spell stats, but movable objects will be pushed back to the spell radius (as per wielder level).
- Curse 1/year. As the shield becomes more active, the fangs of the ghost's mouth grow. Once they are fully grown (takes a year, then they go white), the wielder can attack with the shield and cast a Curse on whomever it hits. I can't remember the stats of the spell curse, but it's the one where it a permanent deduction to the victim's random stat (-6?)
- Additionally, if a player dies whilst holding the shield, they become sucked into the item as per the Soul Bind spell. The residing ghost is freed because of this. DM's choice whether he goes ballistic and attacks, or not. (you're a lucky one Torious - the times when you did die, you weren't holding the shield)

Tymora's Tap
A small detached tap/faucet that radiates conjuration magic. Can be jammed into anything (magically fixes itself with caster's will) and turned on for a steady flow of fresh water. It 'taps' directly into the elemental plane of water, and can technically run forever.

Barbican +1 cloak of protection
Heavy metallic cloak with a iron clasp.
- On command of 'Barbican' by wearer, the cloak becomes a Wall of Iron. As per the spell, but not as per spell area, just on the cloak (but it will hold mid air, so it's great for blocking corridors). Will collapse on command of bearer.

Baleal's Choice
Unassuming thin silver ring. Good alignment. Radiates transmutation and evocation magic. Once worn, only activates for one user (till it has claimed what it was made for, or the character dies). The ring is cursed and cannot be removed, other than through Remove Curse against caster level of 12.
- Holy Word (or can be changed to different spell, if you consider this too powerful a spell) any number of times per day. Each time this power is invoked, the ring constricts and amputates the wearer's finger irreversibly. After each use, the ring disappears, then appears on the next finger in line.

Whip of Beasts Whip +3.
Whip made from three Displacer Beast's tentacles. Horrible to look at, great in use.
- User can pull off a tentacle and use it to summon a Displacer Beast as per Summon Monster rules. Tentacle is consumed with summoning, and whip drops its bonus by +1.
- Blink dogs will attack the user with absolute hatred. Be prepared, they're nippy little bastards.

Ah well, I think that's enough for now. Let me know if you need more and how the session goes. And please, feel free to poach whatever you want from the story hour :)

Spider J

The Edge

First Post
Beans

(someone's) energetic beans

This is a small simple sack cloth bag, with a red string tie to close it with. on the tie is the label '(someone's) energetic beans'. Inside is a handful (20, but you can choose) of small faintly glowing beans which seem to jiggle and twitch as you hold the bag. If a bean is strongly thrown to the ground it imedietely bounces back and glows stronger. The glow is not sufficient to cast any useful light, though it most defintely easy to see as it zips from surface to surface. The bean continues to bounce randomly from floor, wall, ceiling and all, for roughly an hour (adjust as you like + dont tell players the duration) upon which the magic stops and it lands where ever it falls. The bean now bounces no more than a normal bean. If the bean lands in water or another substance to slow it enough, the bean will stop. Cushioned or other soft objects dont stop it. If stoped the bean fades and will not bounce again.

This is one of the mundane but bizare items ive given my players, not amazingly useful, neither very valuble, but its always amuseing to see what the players find to do with them. So far they've thrown one down a pit to check how deep it was, and sneakily threw another into the window of a snobish noble's carridge.

Anyone played the PC game baulders gate II, shadows of amn? There was an amuseing cursed item in it that might be interesting.

The belt of gender

I cant remember it all, but the items rough history was that it was made as a 'gift' for a duke/king to give to his wife. It is simple looking but fashionable belt, and sugested nothing of its purpose, looking like any other. But if put on and buckled, it would fasten and not come off, and instantly reverse the gender of the wearer. The effect would remain untill the belt was removed, which could only be achived by a remove curse spell. I imagine that both the duke and especialy his wife got quite a shock, so would your unlucky player :] . just remember that you might want to give something to compensate the cost of the removal spell, or perhaps the cost would be the penalty for being reckless and not finding out what it did first.

There you go, two more ideas for you. Let us know what you use and how it goes.

Ashy

First Post
Will do, Edge. Actually, you'll be able to read it for yourself in my Story Hour (see links in my sig, above). Thanks! :)

The Edge

First Post
Hot Sauce

Oh yeah, if its not too late, you could have a look at my 'Stumbleduck's Hot Sauce' idea in the house rules forum. Its not quite finished but you might be able to work it out for your game, you can change the creator name and whatever you like.

I'll confess that im sending you there half because im hopeing for sugestions, but I think its a cool item.

Remove ads