• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Natural Bond [CAdv] and Alternative Animal Companions

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
ALTERNATIVE ANIMAL COMPANIONS
A druid of sufficiently high level can select her animal companion from one of the following lists, applying the indicated adjustment to the druid’s level (in parentheses) for purposes of determining the companion’s characteristics and special abilities.

4th Level or Higher (Level –3)

If I'm a 10th level druid with a Wolverine companion, I apply a -3 adjustment to my druid level for purposes of determining the companion’s characteristics and special abilities.

If I have the Natural Bond feat, I can add up to +3 to my effective druid level for purposes of determining the companion’s characteristics and special abilities, but my druid level cannot exceed my character level.

Can, then, a 10th level druid with a Wolverine companion and the Natural Bond feat apply the 9th-11th adjustments to the companion, since 10 -3 +3 does not exceed his character level?

-Hyp.

I've always read it as Natural Bond applying first, and then the improved companion penalty.

Why?

Because the last step in the equation is picking your companion.

Of course, I can't find any rules to support my "order of operations" theory [EDIT: other than the fact that wolverines, for instance, require a Druid level of 4 before you can take one. In other words, you need an effective druid level of 4 before it even becomes an option, and Natural Bond might allow you to take one before you were a level 4 Druid].

However, let's look at the effects of the feat. It costs the druid a feat (out of his probable 7), and gets his companion, on average, two extra hit dice (+8 + 2X Con HP), +2 natural armor, +1 Strength, one extra bonus trick, and possibly one more special ability than it otherwise would have.

This seems to be a little hefty as far as feat benefits go, but it doesn't seem overwhelmingly so.

Last edited:

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Patryn of Elvenshae said:
[EDIT: other than the fact that wolverines, for instance, require a Druid level of 4 before you can take one. In other words, you need an effective druid level of 4 before it even becomes an option, and Natural Bond might allow you to take one before you were a level 4 Druid].

Hmm... I'd need to check the feat wording again. What does it specifically add 3 to your effective druid level for the purposes of?

-Hyp.

jabberwocky

First Post
Hypersmurf said:
Hmm... I'd need to check the feat wording again. What does it specifically add 3 to your effective druid level for the purposes of?

-Hyp.

Natural Bond "adds three to your effecive druid level for the purpose of bonus hit dice, extra tricks, special abilities, and other bonuses the companion receives."

the SRD says about alternative animal companions:
A druid of sufficiently high level can select her animal companion from one of the following lists, applying the indicated adjustment to the druid’s level (in parentheses) for purposes of determining the companion’s characteristics and special abilities.

So, as written, it looks like you could select an alternative animal companion, and adjust your level downward, and Natural Bond would then adjust your effective level back up.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
jabberwocky said:
Natural Bond "adds three to your effecive druid level for the purpose of bonus hit dice, extra tricks, special abilities, and other bonuses the companion receives."

Thanks.

So it wouldn't allow a Drd1/Rog3 to gain a Wolverine as an animal companion, because the Wolverine requires "a druid of sufficiently high level" (4th), and Natural Bond does not increase effective druid level for the purpose of selecting an alternative companion.

It does, however, (arguably) allow a Drd-4 to gain a Wolverine as an animal companion, and to treat his effective Druid level as 4 rather than 1 for the purpose of its abilities etc.

-Hyp.

Infiniti2000

First Post
Hypersmurf said:
So it wouldn't allow a Drd1/Rog3 to gain a Wolverine as an animal companion, because the Wolverine requires "a druid of sufficiently high level" (4th), and Natural Bond does not increase effective druid level for the purpose of selecting an alternative companion.

It does, however, (arguably) allow a Drd-4 to gain a Wolverine as an animal companion, and to treat his effective Druid level as 4 rather than 1 for the purpose of its abilities etc.
I'd agree with that. However, I'm a little concerned about how powerful that makes the animal companion. I know from experience that when the 14th level druid IMC buffs out her animal companion(s), they are Forces Unto Themselves (tm). If anyone has experience with Natural Bond, please let us know your thoughts. :)

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Infiniti2000 said:
However, I'm a little concerned about how powerful that makes the animal companion. I know from experience that when the 14th level druid IMC buffs out her animal companion(s), they are Forces Unto Themselves (tm).

In this particular case, I'm going to have real trouble buffing... most of the standard animal companion buffs are 'spells that target a specific number of creatures', to which swarms are immune.

(I'm trying out a cat swarm as an animal companion, with a little DM leniency ;) )

-Hyp.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads