• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Painful healing

Cheiromancer

Adventurer
Cure spells are instantaneous, and so are valuable when used in combat. The vigor line of spells heal about twice as much damage, but since they take time, their utility is less. (Also rangers and bards can use wands of cure light wounds, but not wands of lesser vigor). For example, a cure light wounds cast by a first level cleric heals 1d8+1 hp (avg 5.5), while a lesser vigor (fast healing 1 for 10 rounds + 1 round/level) heals 11 hp. At 5th level the values are 9.5 to 15.

It occurs to me that another use of cure spells is to stabilize dying characters. Which suggests another variant; a cure spell that does damage initially, and is more variable in effect.

For example, a 1st level spell ("Lesser Painful Healing") might do 1d8 typeless damage initially, and then, if the target survives, heals 2d8 + 2 hp/level (max 2d8+10 at 5th level). A will save reduces both amounts by half. At 1st level this is -4 to 17 hp, avg 6.5, while at 5th level it cures between 4 and 25 hp, avg 14.5.

Does this seem balanced as a first level level cleric/druid spell? That is, is it at least as balanced as the vigor spells? (If you think both are unbalanced, that is a yes.) For flavor reasons painful healing spells could be taken by clerics of deities who have portfolios of suffering, purification, fire, etc.; it is also a great spell to use against undead.

There would be higher level versions as well. I'm thinking 1d8/spell level damage initially, then the equivalent of two cure spells of that level. An alternative would be to modify the vigor spells; the target takes initial damage, then gets the benefit of an extended vigor spell.

Finally, a character could take a feat, "Painful healing" allowing him to modify cure and vigor spells so they deal 1d8/spell level damage initially, then heal twice the usual amount. No level adjustment. Should such a feat be usable on the fly, or would the character have to decide when preparing the spell whether it should be a painful version or not?

Cheiromancer

Adventurer
Wouldn't the spell then be too good when used on deathwarded characters?

Mind you, I've never seen cure spells used IMC against undead. (Well, a paladin laid hands on a vampire once, but that was a last resort.) I assumed it was because cure spells were suboptimal (touch save vs one opponent vs that opponent's good save, etc.), and that powering it up would be ok. If cure spells are effective as is, then painful cures would definitely be too much.

Hmmm. I just noticed that when maximized painful cure spells do just over their average damage. That's counterintuitive!

the Jester

Legend
Cheiromancer said:
Wouldn't the spell then be too good when used on deathwarded characters?

A very good point, and one I hadn't considered.

Cheiromancer said:
Mind you, I've never seen cure spells used IMC against undead. (Well, a paladin laid hands on a vampire once, but that was a last resort.) I assumed it was because cure spells were suboptimal (touch save vs one opponent vs that opponent's good save, etc.), and that powering it up would be ok. If cure spells are effective as is, then painful cures would definitely be too much.

It isn't the most common thing, but I see it once in a while imc, especially against undead opponents that the cleric can't otherwise hurt due to high AC, DR, incorporeality, etc. Er, and also a lot with heal.

Brain

First Post
Cheiromancer said:
Hmmm. I just noticed that when maximized painful cure spells do just over their average damage. That's counterintuitive!

I'm not sure I understand this statement. Let's look at the first level version made maximized.
using a 4th level slot, so 7th level caster. 1d8 dmg = 8, 2d8 heal =16 +10 so it would heal for 18 overall. compare that to a maximized cure light wounds for 13.

Cheiromancer

Adventurer
Brain said:
Cheiromancer said:
I'm not sure I understand this statement. Let's look at the first level version made maximized.
using a 4th level slot, so 7th level caster. 1d8 dmg = 8, 2d8 heal =16 +10 so it would heal for 18 overall. compare that to a maximized cure light wounds for 13.

A painful cure light wounds cures an average of 14.5 hp, but can cure up to 25 if you roll well. Maximized it does 18 hp. Which is a lot closer to the average than to the maximum. So maximizing it... doesn't.

Brain

First Post
Cheiromancer said:
A painful cure light wounds cures an average of 14.5 hp, but can cure up to 25 if you roll well. Maximized it does 18 hp. Which is a lot closer to the average than to the maximum. So maximizing it... doesn't.
Ok, I see what you're saying now. I guess I am just more literal when I think about Maximize Spell. I don't see it as "you get the best result", I just see it as "make all the dice maximum", so it didn't seem counterintuitive to me.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
When I read "painful" in the headline, I thought of Nauseated, Sickened, Shaken, Fatigued, etc. as being some conditions you might apply to a PC who's just been cure[/]d. Seems like it might make in-combat Cures less popular...

I don't really like the idea of "hurt-then-heal", because it seems like it'd encourage even more meta-gaming than happens now.

-- N

Ferret

Explorer
And further to what Nifft said (metagaming) I don't see the logic in huting someone to heal them. I just don't see why healing someone more would mean they would need to be damaged first.

It looks balanced though. So if it's what you want then it should be ok.

Last edited:

Cheiromancer

Adventurer
Well, consider what happens in surgery; people get cut open in order to feel better later. That's harming someone in order to heal them. Chemotherapy is a similar idea; you poison people in order to get rid of the cancer. They feel terrible, but get better.

In my previous campaign there was a cleric of Kossuth whose magical healings were accompanied by pain, as if by burning. He was the only cleric in the city who could cast raise dead but nobody ever asked for the service on behalf of deceased loved ones. The reason- because it felt like being burned alive, only in reverse. It is no great stretch of the imagination to suppose that healing spells granted by evil deities might feel terrible; so might spells cast by deities with domains like war or purification.

The painful healing spells put some game mechanics behind elements which might be present for flavor reasons. It provides ingame reasons why people might prefer natural healing to the magical variety, and also follows the real world precedent of surgery and chemo that healing sometimes requires hurting. So that's three logical reasons why these spells might exist.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads