• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D Stats for the Wizard of Oz?

Endur

First Post
Anyone know if stats for these characters are somewhere on the internet?
Glenda
Wicked Witch of the West
Dorothy
Toto
Scarecrow
Cowardly Lion
Tin Man
Wizard of Oz

Heathen72

Explorer
Endur said:
Anyone know if stats for these characters are somewhere on the internet?
Glenda
Wicked Witch of the West
Dorothy
Toto
Scarecrow
Cowardly Lion
Tin Man
Wizard of Oz

Well, I haven't seen any stats for them, but I'll take a stab at a few:

The Cowardly Lion
Hard to say, but it looks like a normal a Lion from the MM, with a few advancement levels thrown in, and the COWARDLY template applied (double duration suffered against Fear effects, Will saves at -2, -4 to checks versus intimidation)

Dorothy
Dorothy's clearly pretty tough - I mean anyone who can survive being caught up in a tornado and thrown somewhere over a rainbow has to have a few hitpoints up her sleeve. I reckon she has to have at least a level or 2 in some kind of warrior -Probably Barbarian (because of the D12 Hit Dice) Then there is the matter of Toto. He is obviously an animal companion of sorts. The question is whether he is a wizard's familiar or a Ranger's animal ally. I reckon Ranger, if the way Dorothy dealt with the Cowardly Lion is anything to go by. Dorothy is so cutesy-cutesy and nice, she has to have at least one level of Paladin in there, but it's pretty clear that most of her levels are Bard levels. All that singing and bolstering her companions etc, and the Use Magical Device with the Red Slippers.

SO that makes DOROTHY a BARBARIAN1/RANGER2/PALADIN1/BARD3 (raising to level 5 by the end of The Wizard of Oz) with the following Stats.
STATS
Str 7 (she is a little girl, you know)
Dex 13
Con 10
Wis 9
Int 13
Cha 16, bumped up to 17 when she hit level 8)

By the end of the first story arc (I'm ignoring Return to Oz) she has aquired a magical item - The Incarnadine Slippers of Faerie Power that seem to allow her to return from Oz to her home. Or the Dream Plane - I'm not sure.

Any other takers?

Last edited:

S'mon

Legend
I would put Dorothy's WIS much higher than 9, I would lose the BBn(!) and Paladin levels though - Ranger/Bards can be nice & have high CON :)

**SPOILER**

The Wizard - Expert-6 with maxxed out Bluff?

Endur

First Post
Those are good ideas about Dorothy. I'd probably go with straight bard and make Toto a familiar (using the familiar for arcane casters feat from Complete Arcane).

The Cowardly Lion makes an ideal Awakened Lion, with the cowardly template. :)

What about the others?

Heathen72

Explorer
S'mon said:
I would put Dorothy's WIS much higher than 9, I would lose the BBn(!) and Paladin levels though - Ranger/Bards can be nice & have high CON :)

Yes. I should have put more ;) ;) ;) in my post!
Ahh, it was more of a joke really. I've don't really believe you can stat out book characters in D&D terms very well. A fun exercise, perhaps, but little more.

As for the Wis. She will probably one day have a higher wis, but I applied a penalty for her youth. :)

Last edited:

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
It sounds like people are going off the movie here, and not the books. Toto isn't a familiar -- in the books, you eventually get that explained QUITE clearly.

Years and years ago, "Dragon" once announced it was having a write-up of Oz for D&D (1E or 2E, I don't recall) and then they quietly forgot about it. I'm curious why, since more and more of the original books are now public domain.

Ambitious D20 publishers: I would love a books-faithful write-up of the setting. Particularly with the success of "Wicked," I bet there's a lot of interest for a reasonably priced write-up.

kirinke

First Post
Hmmm. Here's my take on some of the magical items noted in the book series

The Gnome King's magic belt
Special ability: Protects the wearer from harm, confers immunity to all forms of damage.
Polymorph Any object at will, permanent form until changed by the belt's bearer.
Wish once per day

Remove ads