• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Flaming whip

Coredump

Explorer
A whip does no damage to someone that has any armor bonus to AC.

What if it were a flaming whip, would the 1d6 still do damage?

What about flaming burst, if it can't do damage, can it crit?

There is a listing for a bullwhip that does slashing and bludgeoning, so it can have vorpal. If it does no damage, can the vorpal effect still work?

Etc for

acidic
frost
disruption
brilint enrgey
enegy drain
life steeling

Infiniti2000

First Post
Coredump said:
Yes.
Coredump said:
What about flaming burst, if it can't do damage, can it crit?
Yes.
Coredump said:
There is a listing for a bullwhip that does slashing and bludgeoning, so it can have vorpal. If it does no damage, can the vorpal effect still work?
IMO, no. For vorpal it must strictly be a 'slashing' weapon, not a 'slashing and bludgeoning' weapon.

frankthedm

First Post
Coredump said:
A whip does no damage to someone that has any armor bonus to AC.

I do belive an attack has to do damage for any special effect to be applied. I am looking for the relevant text at the moment. Poison, fire damage, disrupting etc.

Now, I'll agree the fire should apply, but the rules might not suport it.

Infiniti2000

First Post
frank, you're thinking of attacks like poison. The reason that occurs is because it specifically says "When a character takes damage..." In the case of flaming, there's no such restriction that you must take damage first.

frankthedm

First Post
Infiniti2000 said:
frank, you're thinking of attacks like poison. The reason that occurs is because it specifically says "When a character takes damage..." In the case of flaming, there's no such restriction that you must take damage first.

This is true.

However the whip does say it deals no damage to any creature with an armor bonus of +1 or higher or a natural armor bonus of +3 or higher. Flaming [most other enchants as well] is expressed as extra damage which doesn't apply since the weapon deals none.

Whip: A whip deals nonlethal damage. It deals no damage to any creature with an armor bonus of +1 or higher or a natural armor bonus of +3 or higher. The whip is treated as a melee weapon with 15-foot reach, though you don’t threaten the area into which you can make an attack. In addition, unlike most other weapons with reach, you can use it against foes anywhere within your reach (including adjacent foes).
Using a whip provokes an attack of opportunity, just as if you had used a ranged weapon.
You can make trip attacks with a whip. If you are tripped during your own trip attempt, you can drop the whip to avoid being tripped.
When using a whip, you get a +2 bonus on opposed attack rolls made to disarm an opponent (including the roll to keep from being disarmed if the attack fails).
You can use the Weapon Finesse feat to apply your Dexterity modifier instead of your Strength modifier to attack rolls with a whip sized for you, even though it isn’t a light weapon for you.

Delemental

First Post
I think the text that frank might be thinking about is this:

SRD said:
Whenever damage reduction completely negates the damage from an attack, it also negates most special effects that accompany the attack, such as injury type poison, a monk’s stunning, and injury type disease. Damage reduction does not negate touch attacks, energy damage dealt along with an attack, or energy drains. Nor does it affect poisons or diseases delivered by inhalation, ingestion, or contact.

Now, this only dealing with damage reduction, not a weapon that deals no damage. But as you can see, it doesn't affect energy damage or energy drains. I'd say disruption works because it says the effect happens "when the undead is struck" not "when the undead takes damage".

Brilliant energy might be more a DM's call, but one interpretation could be it would allow the whip to do damage even against creatures with armor, since it would ignore that armor.

AS for vorpal... well, the description I see of the whip just says "slashing", not "slashing and bludgeoning" so technically it would qualify.

Infiniti2000

First Post
Delemental said:
AS for vorpal... well, the description I see of the whip just says "slashing", not "slashing and bludgeoning" so technically it would qualify.
I didn't even check, thanks for pointing that out. It's slashing in both 3.0 and 3.5 SRDs. It would be odd for the PH's to have a difference like that. As slashing only, there's no reason why it couldn't be vorpal.

interwyrm

First Post
Related question

As I can't post new threads and this seems related enough... can you add a flaming or shocking property to a net?
If you can, does it apply damage every round someone is caught in it?

Delemental

First Post
interwyrm said:
As I can't post new threads and this seems related enough... can you add a flaming or shocking property to a net?
If you can, does it apply damage every round someone is caught in it?

I don't see any reason who you couldn't add those properties to a net - it is a weapon.

I'd say the extra damage only applies on the initial hit, though - it's not entirely logical, but the description of the abilities say they deal damage on a "successful hit".

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads