• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Looking for Mini-Campaign Settings

Warden

First Post
Genesis Magazine is looking to publish short mini-campaign settings with an open-rules concept. Our goal is to create a new RPG system, versatile enough to fit in any number of settings, and would like to provide our readers with possible material for the system as it develops on a monthly basis. Mini-settings intended for other systems, such as d20 and the like, are acceptable and can still be published with such rules offered in sidebars throughout the article. For example, a mini-setting intended for the Unisystem from Eden Studios can be submitted with a sidebar for new use of drama point suggestions at the end. As such, please ensure your submission adheres to any open content agreements offered by the publisher of a particular set of rules.

These submissions will be revised by the Editor to contain suggestions on using the current system developed within Genesis Magazine for the sake of our readers, but these will also be provided as sidebars, and will not be edited into the submission itself. So long as the content is professionally written (spelling, grammar, and such), it will remain untouched with the exception of layout and design.

Any issue with a mini-setting (limit to one per issue) will pay the author(s) $.50 per copy sold. Artwork provided will be a bonus, but does not guarantee additional commission, and so should be provided on a voluntary basis. Due to the rate of pay offered, the author(s) will obviously retain all ownership rights to the submission and will provide the Editor with a written form of consent to provide the material as submitted.

If you are interested in submitting your mini-setting, or have any other questions on this open call, please feel free to contact me: genesis@emeraldpress.net

Last edited:

Stormborn

Explorer
Warden, I tried to send you an e-mail and got a "Host Unknown Message." I believe there is an "r" missing in your e-mail adress.

But, since others are likely to have the same questions I will just post them here:
Am I correct in guessing that you are primarilly looking for non-rules realted flavor (or "fluff" as it is sometimes called) material that can function independent of game mechanics?
What format should submissions be in and approximately how many words per submission do you need?
Are there any other qualifications for the types of settings you are looking for, such as (just for example)"no steampunk" or "must have elves" etc.?

Thanks

Warden

First Post
Stormborn said:
Am I correct in guessing that you are primarilly looking for non-rules realted flavor (or "fluff" as it is sometimes called) material that can function independent of game mechanics?
What format should submissions be in and approximately how many words per submission do you need?
Are there any other qualifications for the types of settings you are looking for, such as (just for example)"no steampunk" or "must have elves" etc.?

"Fluff" material would be best, but not essentially required. From a sales standpoint, it might help generate more sales if we advertise a d20 mini-setting, but it will be re-formatted to contain such rules into sidebars, keeping the main text as rules free as possible.

Submissions are preferred in Word, using Times New Roman, size 10. Make it as plain and simple as possible. There is no limit to size: it's as big as you're willing to make it.

There are no additional qualifications as far as content is concerned. We're looking for ideas and inspirations for us to consider in our assembly of a new system, so the more you can come up with the better.

Phoenix

First Post
Warden said:
"Fluff" material would be best, but not essentially required. From a sales standpoint, it might help generate more sales if we advertise a d20 mini-setting, but it will be re-formatted to contain such rules into sidebars, keeping the main text as rules free as possible.

Submissions are preferred in Word, using Times New Roman, size 10. Make it as plain and simple as possible. There is no limit to size: it's as big as you're willing to make it.

There are no additional qualifications as far as content is concerned. We're looking for ideas and inspirations for us to consider in our assembly of a new system, so the more you can come up with the better.

I'm interested and have been published a few times before, is the email above correct or missing letters as Stormborn mentioned?

Byrons_Ghost

First Post
Do you want proposals for settings right now, or the full articles? Since this is something that's going to be published over a period of several months (at least, that was my interpretation), it seems to me it might be easier to just submit a few ideas upfront rather than writing up a full setting that might not meet your needs.

What do you think?

Warden

First Post
Proposals are fine for the moment (single-paragraph minimum, enough to provide a sampling of the material you will provide), but I will also accept full submissions as well. We're nowhere near Dragon or Dungeon as far as submissions, so the odds of duplicate submissions are slim.

Word count is left to the author. Based on the amount you will be paid, I leave it to you to determine how much you want to provide. I would also be fine with a sampling/preview of a larger that may be found elsewhere, such as a personal website and the like. Just so long as the submission is complete in its own way.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads