• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Mechamancy Q&A

The Grumpy Celt

Banned
Banned
Mechamancy Q&A

skippy_the_witch said:
I just needed to know where is the appropriate forum to not only post my questions, but also have the possibility of getting actual answers from the creator.

(eyes glowing, lightning shooting from fingers) ;)

I am the creator!

These forums, I believe, will be suitable for discussions of the book. In any event, I will be happy to answer any questions that I can.

skippy_the_witch said:
Also, where would I be able to find the web enhancement when it is done.

Currently, I do not know, but I imagine you will be able to find information about it on these boards and/or at the main ENWorld Website. Wherever it appears, it should be easy to access.

skippy_the_witch said:
Lastly, what if the companion book supposed to be about?

The web enhancement will provide three living machine outsiders and rules for using the same.

A sequel, or follow-up companion book, may explore at least nine and possibly 15 living machine outsiders, and will provide rules for running them, rules for running a living machine as a PC, rules for living machines as familiars, seven or eight artificial appendages and organs and provide three or four mechamancer NPCs. Generally speaking, about half of the material that was cut from the book.

However, all this information is rather tentative and is subject to change.

Turanil

First Post
Well, this is half a rant, half a question.

I proposed to write a review for Mechamancy. I got a link from RPGnow. I downloaded three times to be sure it was not a problem of mine. I cannot read the PDF on either Acrobat Reader 5 Mac and Acrobat Reader 5 PC.

So, has this PDF been done so it is only readable in Acrobat Reader 6? If so, some customers may have a bad surprise. (Only the latest computers with relevant OS can have Acrobat Reader 6; and some people like me don't have the money for a brand new computer.)

By the way, Mechamancy really looks great. If I could just get a Word.doc version, I would be really glad to make a complete review (as I was proposed in the first place, but cannot do)...

Turanil

First Post
The Grumpy Celt said:
Yes. I updated to Acrobat 7. This is free at the Adobe site.
I know that it is free. However, to put the latest Acrobat Reader on your computer, you need to have the latest OS (OSX for a mac for instance). To have the latest OS, even if you don't pay for it, you still have to have a powerful computer otherwise the computer will be slowed. So, I still use old equipment, and apart from this Acrobat Reader problem, I don't need more power.

I suggest that it be told on RPGnow that this PDF requires Acrobat Reader 6 or better, or the customer won't be able to read it. There are certainly a few potential customers who don't have Acribat Reader 6 and cannot get it for the same reasons.

The Grumpy Celt

Banned
Banned
I was not part of the decision making proceess as to which version of Reader was used. However, the one employed allows people mulitple printing options that previous versions did not.

That said, does anyone who has gotten a copy and read it have a question for as about the content, themes, rules, etc?

Frostmane

First Post
The proposed content for the new book sounds great!

I'm a majot fan of Mechanamancy and when I came to the end of the book I was like 'Aww, there's room for so much -more-!' I'm glad to hear we'll get to see the rest..especially the Prcs and the coverage of the living machines..with PC-playable rules no less! Hurrah!

catsclaw227

First Post
The Grumpy Celt said:
I was not part of the decision making proceess as to which version of Reader was used. However, the one employed allows people mulitple printing options that previous versions did not.

That said, does anyone who has gotten a copy and read it have a question for as about the content, themes, rules, etc?

I've just completed a review, but I don't know where to post it!

Catsclaw

Questions about devices...

Ok, here is my main questions about the devices made through mechamancy:

A devices construction score states how many hours the device can run before it cycles down and must be rewound. First off, while it is not exactly stated, it seems that a device is either on or off, and that once turned off, may not be turned back on until it has been rewound.

Second, the example of the lightning cannon implies that it must be first turned "on" before it will work and that it will remain on "idle" for 10 hours or until the 12 spell energy levels are used. Or does such only apply to purely mechanical devices, such as the mechamancy chainsaw given as an example at one point. And what about such devices as the compass, which states in description that it can be used for know direction an unlimited time per day, but by other rules would wind down after 5 hours.

And the aforementioned chainsaw, which has a construction score of 5 (assuming it has not been further enhanced), would work for 5 hours. BUT, does this mean that once you draw your chainsaw, you have to leave it on and walk around with it idling until it runs out of spring, or can you turn a device on and off and thus split the winddown time.

These are the most obvious problems I have with the system and the devices listed. I would really appreciate anything you can do or say to clarify this.

Thanks,

skippy
The GM of the Cursed Earth Campaign

Turanil said:
I know that it is free. However, to put the latest Acrobat Reader on your computer, you need to have the latest OS (OSX for a mac for instance). To have the latest OS, even if you don't pay for it, you still have to have a powerful computer otherwise the computer will be slowed. So, I still use old equipment, and apart from this Acrobat Reader problem, I don't need more power.

I suggest that it be told on RPGnow that this PDF requires Acrobat Reader 6 or better, or the customer won't be able to read it. There are certainly a few potential customers who don't have Acribat Reader 6 and cannot get it for the same reasons.

I personally did not realize that Acrobat 6 was that hard to install. I mostly use a dinky Windows 98 machine and it runs Acrobat 6 fine. I was under the impression that most people would have access to Acrobat 6. In fact I thought almost all our pdfs used that format. But I'm not big on the technical side of things.

I did offer you a free copy, so I'll send along the .doc file I have that is most complete (some material was spliced in toward the end, so it might not be 100% identical to the material in the pdf). Because it's not actually the pdf, I wouldn't want you to review it, but I'll do the best that I can to get you the material if you just want to enjoy it.

I'm sorry for the trouble, and I'll ask with the other staff members to see if this has been a problem for anyone else, so hopefully we can rectify it.

Remove ads