• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Trying to design a Bladesinger

tenken

First Post
Hi. I'm trying to design a Bladesinger from the Complete Warrior, and it's been a long time since I played D&D. I was hoping that I could ask for some tips here. I like the Swashbuckler base class in the Complete Warrior as well, but I'm not sure that it would be beneficial to take that over Fighter because of all the required feats for Bladesinger. I'm also slightly annoyed at all the feats needed. I'm not sure that I want to have to devote everything I do to not being hit instead of feats that are more proactive.

Thanks for the help! :)

Oh, and this is my first post and I would like to say that this is a cool place you have here.

Thanee

First Post
You could make it an Elven Fighter 2/Swashbuckler 3/Wizard 1/Bladesinger

Spellcasting would only be a secondary ability, but with some of the nice spells from Complete Adventurer, that could work out well. And you would even have one feat free to spend on anything you like. ;)

Bye
Thanee

Drowbane

First Post
Try a Fi 2 / War Mage... going into Eldritch Knight. the Bladesinger PrC is a terrible conversion of an otherwise wicked concept from 2e.

Brain

First Post
I've got a concept floating in my head for a swashbuckler / wizard / elf paragon / bladesinger / duelist but haven't ever made it as a character yet.

Sledge

First Post
Bladesinger needs only a small change to be viable 2/3 caster progression, ie gain a caster level at 1,2,4,5,7,8,10. It's still a little bit underpowered but very playable.
This is what I have going on for my Elf paragon and he is pretty effective.

tenken

First Post
Aaron L said:
The Races of Faerun class is much better! I could post the stats for my 27th level bladesinger if youd like :)

That would be great. :)

So. . . the Races of Faerun Bladesinger is different from the Complete Warrior Bladesinger? Is it 3.0 or 3.5? Sorry for all the questions. There are a lot of sourcebooks it seems. :)

Feldspar

Explorer
Thanee said:
You could make it an Elven Fighter 2/Swashbuckler 3/Wizard 1/Bladesinger
The build I'm hopting to run one day has a slightly different lead in than Thanee. I go with two levels of Wizard and one of Fighter with the race being Half-Elf (need the favored class to be Any). If you want the remaining four levels to be in a half caster class (my build includes 4 levels of Spellsword), the second level of Wizard is critical as it gets you 5th level spells.

This is my half-elf Bladesinger-Spellsword build:
Code:
L  Class BAB CL  goodies
1  Swa 1   1  0  Weapon Finesse, Weapon Focus: Rapier 
2  Wiz 1   1  1  1st lvl spells, Scribe Scroll
3  Swa 2   2  1  Dodge, Grace +1
4  Swa 3   3  1  Insightful Strike
5  Ftr 1   4  1  Combat Expertise
6  Wiz 2   5  2  Combat Casting
7  Bds 1   6  3  2nd lvl spells, Bladesong style, 
8  Sps 1   7  4  -10% ASF
9  Sps 2   8  4  Practiced Spellcaster, Improved Critical: Rapier
10 Sps 3   9  5  3rd lvl spells, -15% ASF
11 Sps 4  10  5  Channel spell 3/day
12 Bds 2  11  5  Lesser Spellsong, Arcane Strike
13 Bds 3  12  6  
14 Bds 4  13  6  Song of Celerity (2nd)
15 Bds 5  14  7  4th lvl spells, Feat
16 Bds 6  15  7  Greater Spellsong
17 Bds 7  16  8  
18 Bds 8  17  8  Song of Celerity (4th), Feat
19 Bds 9  18  9  5th lvl spells
20 Bds 10 19  9  Song of Fury
BAB 19, 5th lvl spells, F/R/W - 12/10*/15 (* includes Grace). The two d4's are balanced by the 4 d10's which means the average hit die of the class through all 20 levels is a d8. Not too shabby.

At 11th level you can be wearing a Mithril Breastplate with 0% ASF and channeling 3 spells a day. I also like the way the bonus feat from Spellsword 2 combines with your usual feat at level 9 to boost combat and magic. Even the two "dead levels" at least have an increase in caster level.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads