• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Describing movement through cities

caudor

Adventurer
I'm having difficulty in handling city based adventures. Just as an example, I'll use Cauldron from the Shackled City adventure as an example, but this really applies to any city.

The PCs will be walking from a building on one end of Cauldron to another. Not all the buildings are 'keyed', just the important ones.

I'm at a loss on how to describe the short travel. I mean, is it best to describe every building they walk past (might get kinda boring), or should I just summarize the movement in a paragraph? I've tried the latter, but my players don't seem to *get* any feel for the city at all. This is one of my weak points as I DM. What am I missing? Is it necessary to flesh out an entire city before play? Am I simply not prepared enough? How do you handle movement through cities?

VirgilCaine

First Post
Note the feel of the areas they pass through--slums, markets, shops, temples, grim alleyway mazes? Describe the progression across the city.

The Lost Muse

First Post
I like to throw in a few random bits of description here and there, as the party travels from place to place. If the city is known for a particular reason, that reason is emphasized.

For example, the party may notice a juggler entertaining a crowd, an old man wandering aimlessly, and a particular merchant on one journey. Try to describe something for each of the senses, not just sights, but sounds and smells, perhaps even touches (although taste may be difficult to do). If you need to, it is easy enough to make a few lists of nouns and adjectives and randomly roll a few quick descriptions.

Buttercup

Princess of Florin
You can describe the buildings and landmarks generally, but be sure to mention the people. The snot nosed, crying kids, the sweaty carters, the wealthy women attended by servants and bodyguards, the street vendors and what they sell, the buskers and so forth. It isn't buildings that give a city its flavor, it's the people.

Funeris

First Post
I tend to throw a mix up at my players. I give a basic general description of the architecture or layout, poverty levels, a general feeling of how many stragglers are about...whether or not its a safe area and then I will also elaborate on any truly unique buildings or architecture. Some of these unique buildings are "keyed" but some may have been built for specific reasons (i.e. for a local hero).

Of course, I work in the civil engineering field and am forced day-in and day-out to deal with differing styles of architecture and engineering etc. So, I merely pass my overdosed feelings onto my players...not that they seem to mind ;)

Architecture isn't the only thing that gives cities a feel. A large amount of people can lend a claustrophobic feel to the city. If everyone is dirty and unkempt, it could impose a feeling of hopelessness upon the characters. The first "city" my players arrived in had been assaulted by some bandits...houses had been burned down and townsfolk slain. I constantly made sure they felt the overwhelming odor of charred flesh and singed hair. I made a large effort to make them feel this "shade" of the city because it contrasted with what the city usually is: a peaceful, mainly thatched building city with a freshly built and studiously cleaned keep. Yet the people were being herded about, because they were all distraught over the attacks. They hadn't expected it, they hadn't experienced anything of that magnitude in such a time, that the overwhelming feeling of chaos and loss was the city at that time. The city wasn't an assemblage of buildings with this type of architecture or that, it was the description of its townsfolk and their emotions.

Anyway...I'm not sure I made much sense...but I hope you can gather any wisdom from my lengthy and seemingly pointless words. :D

~Fune

IronWolf

blank
When describing city travel try just describing the basic feel of the area they are passing through, not necessarily building by building. This includes an occasional building along the way if it has something somewhat noteworthy happening near it. Also include an occasional description of people passing by or shopping at a merchant's open stall. If the characters get curious then you can go into more details about what has caught their interest along the way.

Crothian

First Post
Perhaps this PDF I reviewd here could be of help. Its called Bits of the Boulevard and is a nice book of descriptions that fit what you seem to be looking for.

Now I have a tendency to go a little overboard at times like when I presented the players with a 6 page document that described quite a bit of a large town they started in.

Wolv0rine

First Post
I'd elaborate on what everyone else has said by suggesting you have the players make Spot checks every so often to notice something. Players have a thing about assuming something they noticed because of a roll must be Important. :)

caudor

Adventurer
Thanks everyone for sharing your wisdom; it has been very helpful. :)

I just bought Bits of the Boulevard and have been looking it over. This supplement is just great! For anyone looking for ways to add some quality narrative to your city-based adventures, I'd recommend it.

Thanks again.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads