• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dwarven Lumberjack

smootrk

First Post
A Dwarven Lumberjack is a character concept I am trying to work out for an upcoming game. I have a few ideas for building the character like being mostly Fighter with either some Ranger levels or possibly some druid levels thrown in, and taking woodsy type skills like Prof. Forrester, Craft Carpenter, maybe siege engineer thrown in (for building lumber transport or crane type assemblies). He would be essentially an axe wielder, and I was thinking just for fun, he might have an animal companion Ox (or Bison - closest animal to it) and name it Babe (on the order of Paul Bunyon & Babe the blue ox).

Seems like a fun way to have an interesting dwarf that breaks a few molds but yet I can actually imagine a part of dwarven society that would have individuals of this type to get the lumber from the mountain forests for the other dwarves to use, after all not everything is stone & metalwork.

Anyway, I am fishing for some input and ideas to flesh out this concept and make it a logical progression as he levels up. So... Any ideas? :)

Pinotage

Explorer
smootrk said:
Anyway, I am fishing for some input and ideas to flesh out this concept and make it a logical progression as he levels up. So... Any ideas? :)

Snow White as a cohort? ;)

From a mechanical point of view, Improved Sunder might be a good bet - cut those wooden hafted weapons in half with his axe mixes background and mechanics quite nicely. You might also want to look at perhaps the Horizon Walker Prestige class, although Forest and Mountains are not the best terrain types to choose from. For Craft you can take woodcarving, and he can carve wooden animals from logs while sitting around the fire or something. It might be fun writing some lumberjack songs, as long as they don't start with 'Hi-Ho'! :)

I hope you have fun with the idea.

Pinotage

smootrk

First Post
Infiniti2000 said:
He absolutely must take a few ranks in perform (singing), just for the "I'm a lumberjack and I'm okay." jokes. :)

:lol: Had not thought of that. Maybe even try to fold in some Bard levels, eh?

... checking on bard skills... might be a viable alternative to ranger/druid idea for skill points & even most skills are represented aside from Survival (but is survival really necessary?)

Improved Sunder is a good choice, and makes sense. I am going to add this in for sure.

DamionW

First Post
I really like the concept. One thing would be to take some climb ranks: Scurrying up trunks with those metal spikes and a belt to lop off branches. "Look out there's DWARVES in the trees!!!"

smootrk

First Post
DamionW said:
I really like the concept. One thing would be to take some climb ranks: Scurrying up trunks with those metal spikes and a belt to lop off branches. "Look out there's DWARVES in the trees!!!"

This is a good idea. With a couple of climb ranks, I think I can convince the DM to give me a synergy bonus for the Profession Lumberjack ranks when climbing trees. And maybe we can dig up stats on a tree climbing rig (belt & boot spikes) for additional bonus. Do you know if any books/sources of this kind of equipment?

EDIT: Well right in the PHB is a Climber's Kit which gives +2 climb checks... I would imagine that covers that part of my question.

Last edited:

DamionW

First Post
smootrk said:
This is a good idea. With a couple of climb ranks, I think I can convince the DM to give me a synergy bonus for the Profession Lumberjack ranks when climbing trees. And maybe we can dig up stats on a tree climbing rig (belt & boot spikes) for additional bonus. Do you know if any books/sources of this kind of equipment?

EDIT: Well right in the PHB is a Climber's Kit which gives +2 climb checks... I would imagine that covers that part of my question.

I've been laughing about this every time I think about it. Instead of "Charlie's in the trees!" there's dwarves scampering from trunk to trunk. And dwarves are about the single last player race I'd imagine up there, yet somehow it works. I might have to try this myself next wilderness campaign I'm in.

If you're going with Ranger, you might want to ask your DM if you can use the Strong Arm Combat Style variant from Dragon 326. Basically, you get Power Attack as your Combat Style 2nd-level feat, Improved Sunder as your Improved Combat Style 6th-level feat, and Great Cleave as your 11th-level combat style mastery feat.

AR

Feldspar

Explorer
smootrk said:
A Dwarven Lumberjack is a character concept I am trying to work out for an upcoming game. I have a few ideas for building the character like being mostly Fighter with either some Ranger levels or possibly some druid levels thrown.
"The stout dwarf stood, feet firmly rooted to the ground. He spit onto his hands, rubbed them together and took up his axe. He gazed then at the brigands, and said, 'You want to know what I have in my pack? Why don't you come closer then, and have a look.'"

Reading Dwarf, Fighter and Ranger caused me to think about the Dwarven Defender prestige class. Ftr 4 / Rng 3 is a great way to get into it. DD might seem like an odd choice for a lumberjack, but I can see a dwarf who had chopped down many a tree, to adapt a kind of "stand and deliver" fighting style. He might get cut down himself, but once those roots are planted he'll never be moved.

The key is that the 3rd level of Ranger gives you Endurance (prereq for a DD) which is just as useful, in this case, as the one feat a straight fighter gets from levels 5-7. So you trade 3 hit points (on average) for a better skill list and all those lovely skill points.

Now this build would work much better for an adventurer who had started out as a Lumberjack rather than any attempt to build by 20th level "the greatest lumberjack who ever lived." You won't get an "animal companion" with this build, but that doesn't preclude you from showing up in the campaign on day one with a regular animal you've trained. I've never played a character with an animal companion; seems like it could be a hassle to try to keep them alive, and still get use from them, for anyone other than a straight druid.

DD has Spot and Listen for class skills which is nice. You won't be able to crank Survival up very high, but then again, I'm not sure you have to for this character concept. You're a competent woodsman, can keep yourself and one or two others alive in the wild, but you're not meant to be some super tracking huntsmen or scout. You'll also actually be able to get some use out of your fighter level skill points with Climb, Handle Animal, and maybe even Craft: Siege Weapons.

If you plan to eventually end up in real armor, then your choice of Ranger combat style will be pretty much irrelevant. Two-Weapon Fighting could be interesting given your automatic proficiency in Dwarven Urgosh (the favored tool of the Dwarven lumberjack, one end for chopping down trees and the other to defend yourself should a bear or boar come charging at you). I have a personal preference against bow using dwarves, which makes getting Rapid Shot less useful. You could spend a feat on Rapid Reload to use it with a light crossbow, or, and much better, spend a feat on Quick Draw and use it with thrown weapons like hand axes. I'd probably go for TWF and then wear heavy armor anyway <shrug>

For feats you need to Dodge and Toughness (blech) in addition to Endurance to get into the DD. The Improved Sunder idea is definately cool. I normally stay away from Weapon Focus and Specialization, but it does seem appropriate thematically for this character.
1 R1: Weapon Focus
2 F1: Power Attack
3 F2: Dodge, Improved Sunder
4 R2:
5 F3:
6 F4: Toughness, Weapon Specialization
7 R3: Endurance

Oh, and surely it goes without saying (but typing is okay) that your Favored Enemy type is Plant :)

melkorspawn

First Post
smootrk said:
This is a good idea. With a couple of climb ranks, I think I can convince the DM to give me a synergy bonus for the Profession Lumberjack ranks when climbing trees.

It would be awesome for roleplaying if your lumberjack were afraid of heights, but was really gung ho about his profession. (In terms of dice, you could get a +2 to climbing up and a -2 to climbing down or something). I imagine it would be a lot of fun to play.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads