Shackled City: Week Ten

JoeGKushner

First Post
Well, just started Shackled City yesterday.

I'm using Action Points, pretty much from Eberron with some slight Unearthed Arcana tweaks to 'em.

I'm allowing a wide variety of stuff to be made, but for the most part, characters were pretty standard.

Elan Soulknife: I told the party that I'd be interested in playtesting one of the weapons from Weapons of Legacy that a soulknife can use and well, one of the playes took me up on it. Good for him!

Human (Suel) Ritual Warrior: Ah, this player is an old friend of mine from High School and since I'm like 34 know, that means I've know him for like half my life. Scary stuff. Anyway, he and I both enjoy some of the old Elric bits, so perhaps I'll pass on Black Razor to him at a latter date or do something with the old Prince of Swords with him since his character is a little like Zolo from One Piece in that he's striving to be the best swordsman. The Ritual Warrior is from Arcana Evolved. I allow it but everything he takes has to come from Arcana Evolved or Transcendance or have some conversion notes. Harsh? Perhaps ,but it's something he wanted to playtest and there are enough potential breaks in the wealth of d20 material without making more of them.

Elf Wizard: Ah, this is the player who wanted to just get started. I told him that if he's going elf, he should take the subsitution levels from Races of the Wild as that's a good deal, but he decided to just go with the flow. I did give him a bonus feat in leiu of his familiar since he didn't want to deal with it. There's some flaw in Dragon mag but I figured I don't need the name of the flaw, just no familiar for you!

Halfling Rogue: Busy at work this week but afte reading some of the bits over here, I decided to just award the character the same XP to reduce bookkeeping on my part.

Human (Suel) Scout: Using the character class as a mechanical means of building a skrimisher. Good deal and good idea so far. This is a new player I snagged from RPG.net to help offset the loss of another regular whose real lime commitements keep him from the game. So far so good and we'll see if he continues to show.

One thing I like about the Shackled City's start is that like good fiction, it starts by grabbing you by the throat. Almost as soon as the GM sits down to read things, the players are involved in the action.

one thing I didn't like, is that like some other low level bits, the variety of enemies seems a little weak at first. Boy, the party sure hates Skulks now I tell you. they haven't gotten to the Dark Creepers yet.

In terms of minis, I've used quite a few, just using human rogues for the skulkers as I don't recall them having any real miniatures to use. Did buy a whole bunch of dark creepers and own a dark stalker though, so those factions are taken care of.

In terms of preperation, I've read the book a few times and made a few notes, and still forget to give the character's their 'background' elements from the back of the book.

I allowed the characters to use elite arrays from Green Ronin's Advanced book. Man, they are an ugly group with 8 CHA for nearly every character, escept the Elan whose got a 6 and the elf who has a 14. That's okay though, it made finding information difficult for them and added to my enjoyment of mocking their grumbling ways. Next time I'll put the one with the lowest stat of 10 as the minimum! Strangely enough, a few peopel took INT as a dump stat too which really cuts down on the skill points.

Party has been going through open doors and hallways in the old gnome city so they haven't meet with many of the traps... at least yet. They just retreated to the surface to get some supplies and healing potions as no one made a cleric, and I didn't feel like introducing one as a PC back up at this time. Maybe in the future if they continue on but for now, I'll skip it.

Other experiences? Comments? Miniature suggestions for the skulks?

Last edited:

philreed

Adventurer
Supporter
How drastically has the material been changed from the run in Dungeon? I've already got the issues and haven't had a chance to flip through the book. I understand there's an extra adventure but what else is different? Small stuff or big stuff?

I'll say it again, Joe: It is my mission in life to move to whatever city you happen to be in at the time and join one of your game groups. Keep us posted on the progress. I'd love to have an actual-play thread for Shackled City.

JoeGKushner

First Post
philreed said:
How drastically has the material been changed from the run in Dungeon? I've already got the issues and haven't had a chance to flip through the book. I understand there's an extra adventure but what else is different? Small stuff or big stuff?

Good question, but to be honest, I couldn't answer 100%.

1. It's been updated to 3.5 (but that only effected the first couple of adventurers to begin with.)

2. There is an extra adventure that involves lots of hobgoblins. Which is okay cause I have a ton of those as miniatures.

3. It's much better organized for long term play. Ideas on which classes are appropriate and what they can do, a layout of the whole city in one shot at the start of the book, a look at Cauldron before and after certain events take place, etc...

So there is some small stuff (3.5 updates and organization) and some big stuff (whole thing in one spot with new notes on making it run smoother and new adventure.)

JoeGKushner

First Post
Justin D. Jacobson said:
I'll say it again, Joe: It is my mission in life to move to whatever city you happen to be in at the time and join one of your game groups. Keep us posted on the progress. I'd love to have an actual-play thread for Shackled City.

Thanks!

I may do an actual-play thread but it takes a lot of effort and essentially, I'm a lazy GM. If I wasn't, I wouldn't be running the Shackled City but doing something of my own. This is the first adventure I'm run since doing Slavelords of Cydonia many moons ago and it's good to be back in the GM's chair.

I do regret not busting out the Dwarven Forge stuff and using the tact-tiles, but realistically, the DF stuff is best used with smaller dungeons that are a room or three and have lots of sprawling space to use. The Tact-Tiles are perfect for things like the Gnome city where the party is moving all over the place and are easy to store and put away.

So I've got miniatures, Tact-Tiles, the old Fiery Dragon Battle Box. I love those little cribbed cheat sheets they have for various actions like Fighting Defensively, Grapple, and Sunder. Very useful!

JoeGKushner said:
Thanks!

I may do an actual-play thread but it takes a lot of effort and essentially, I'm a lazy GM. If I wasn't, I wouldn't be running the Shackled City but doing something of my own. This is the first adventure I'm run since doing Slavelords of Cydonia many moons ago and it's good to be back in the GM's chair.

I do regret not busting out the Dwarven Forge stuff and using the tact-tiles, but realistically, the DF stuff is best used with smaller dungeons that are a room or three and have lots of sprawling space to use. The Tact-Tiles are perfect for things like the Gnome city where the party is moving all over the place and are easy to store and put away.

So I've got miniatures, Tact-Tiles, the old Fiery Dragon Battle Box. I love those little cribbed cheat sheets they have for various actions like Fighting Defensively, Grapple, and Sunder. Very useful!
True enough: BattleBox rules!

Let me clarify, as one with barely enough time to update my LiveJournal, I'm not asking for a full-on campaign journal. I'd just love to hear how it goes generally--pitfalls, problems, high points, etc. I'm thinking about running it myself if I get some time (or holding out to run a Ptolus campaign if I don't).

James Jacobs

Adventurer
Shameless Plug for Hardcover (spoilers... beware!)

There's approximately 40,000 new words in the hardcover that weren't part of the original run in the magazines. That equates to about 50 pages of new material, more or less. The bulk of the new words are in the introduction (which has lots of info about Cauldron and the environs and a timeline and other helpful bits of info) and the new adventure (which takes place between Life's Bazaar and Flood Season). The rest of the new stuff is scattered throughout. Some examples (may contain some spoilers... so beware):

1: The flood festival is now detailed; the PCs can take part in drinking contests, swimming contests, a masked ball, street performances, etc. as a way to get to know the city.

2: The web enhancements are in the book, most importantly, the Stormblades are fully integrated into the adventure.

3: Thifirane's and Vhalantru's mansions are now fully detailed, with room descriptions for each area.

4: Lots more foreshadowing, and npcs and key monsters now have better motivations or personalities.

5: A prestige class for the Striders of Fharlanghn is available.

6: A few new encoutners for the PCs to deal with on the way to the Fiery Sanctum during "Thirteen Cages" that were cut for space have been put back in.

7: And more.

There's also a LOT of new art and new maps.

There... Did my salesman bit. It's time for sleep! :)

KenM

Banned
Banned
I picked up the hardcover for it because I did not have all the Dungeon mags with them. I like it but the only thing I wish it came with was a pull out booklet for the NPC/ monster stats, organized by chapter. All the monster/ NPC's stats are in the back of the book, in alphabetcal order, makes for alot of flipping back and forth during an encounter.

Remove ads