Free Adventure Path

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
(Reworked the question to add in other sources.)

If you absolutely had to use only free adventures from the WotC Free Adventures, WotC Cliffhangers, The Cooperative Dungeon Collection (01 - 04), Dungeon Adventure Archive and elsewhere, which ones would you use and why?

*edit* Also see the Dungeon Magazine Index here -

http://www.intwischa.com/dungeon/

WotC Free Adventures said:
A Dark and Stormy Knight . . . . Owen K.C. Stephens . . . . 1st Generic D&D
Burning Plague, The . . . . Miguel Duran . . . . 1st Generic D&D
Wreck Ashore . . . . Robert Wiese . . . . 1st Generic D&D

Something's Cooking . . . . Andy Collins . . . . 2nd Generic D&D

Ettin's Riddle, The . . . . JD Wiker . . . . 2nd-3rd Generic D&D

Secret of the Windswept Wall, The . . . . Eric Haddock . . . . 2nd-4th Generic D&D

Dry Spell . . . . Darrin Drader . . . . 3rd Generic D&D
Frozen Whispers . . . . James Jacobs . . . . 3rd Generic D&D
Manifesting: A Tale . . . . Angel Leigh McCoy . . . . 3rd Generic D&D

Bad Light . . . . Owen K. C. Stephens . . . . 4th Generic D&D
Eye of the Sun, The . . . . Eric Cagle . . . . 4th Generic D&D
Vessel of Stars, The . . . . Robert Holzmeier . . . . 4th Generic D&D

Base of Operations . . . . Ed Stark . . . . 5th Generic D&D
Fallen Angel . . . . Ramon Arjona . . . . 5th Generic D&D

One Last Riddle . . . . David Eckelberry . . . . 5th-7th Generic D&D

Alchemist's Eyrie, The . . . . Edward Bolme . . . . 6th Generic D&D
Ghosts of Aniel, The . . . . Stephen Kenson . . . . 6th Generic D&D
House of Harpies . . . . Owen K. C. Stephens . . . . 6th Generic D&D
Ministry of Winds, The . . . . Monte Cook . . . . 6th Generic D&D
Test of the Demonweb . . . . Ramon Arjona . . . . 6th Generic D&D

Hasken's Manor . . . . Scott Brocius and Mark A. Jindra . . . . 7th Generic D&D
Into the Frozen Waste . . . . Eric Cagle . . . . 7th Generic D&D
Lest Darkness Rise . . . . Owen K. C. Stephens . . . . 7th Generic D&D
Start at the End . . . . Rich Redman . . . . 7th Generic D&D

Treasure of the Black Veils, The . . . . Skip and Penny Williams . . . . 7th-9th Generic D&D

Environmental Impact . . . . Ramon Arjona . . . . 8th Generic D&D
Eye for an Eye, An . . . . Monte Cook . . . . 8th Generic D&D
Fang, Beak, and Claw . . . . Sean K. Reynolds . . . . 8th FR
Shoals of Intrigue . . . . Robert Wiese . . . . 8th Generic D&D

Cave of Spiders . . . . Skip Williams . . . . 9th Generic D&D
Tower in the Ice . . . . Skip Williams . . . . 9th Generic D&D
Tower of Deception, The . . . . Monte Cook . . . . 9th Generic D&D
Tomb of Horrors . . . . Gary Gygax/Bruce Cordell . . . . 9th Generic D&D

Tiger's Palace . . . . Owen K.C. Stephens . . . . 9th-10th Generic D&D

Bad Moon Waning . . . . Stan . . . . 10th Generic D&D
Sea Witch, The . . . . Jason Carl . . . . 10th Generic D&D
Crumbling Hall of the Frost Giant Jarl, The . . . . Andy Collins . . . . 10th Generic D&D
Tarus's Banquet! S . . . . ean K Reynolds . . . . 10th Libris Mortis
Temple of Redcliff, The . . . . Eric Cagle . . . . 10th Generic D&D
To Quell the Rising Storm . . . . Christopher Lindsay . . . . 10th Generic D&D

Harvest of Evil, A . . . . Jason Carl . . . . 10th-12th Generic D&D

Road to Oblivion . . . . Penny Williams . . . . 11th Generic D&D
Self-Fulfilling Prophecy? . . . . Gwendolyn F. M. Kestrel . . . . 11th Generic D&D
Sheep's Clothing . . . . Robert Wiese . . . . 11th Generic D&D

Fait Accompli . . . . Owen K.C. Stephens . . . . 12th Generic D&D
Question of Ethics, A . . . . Monte Cook . . . . 12th Generic D&D
Shrine of the Feathered Serpent . . . . Skip Williams . . . . 12th Generic D&D
Thicker Than Water . . . . Monte Cook . . . . 12th Generic D&D

Desert Sands . . . . Gwendolyn F. M. Kestrel . . . . 13th Generic D&D
Frigid Demise, A . . . . Monte Cook . . . . 13th Generic D&D

Ill Wind in Friezford . . . . Skip and Penny Williams . . . . 14th Generic D&D
Stone Dead . . . . Stan . . . . 14th Generic D&D

Lochfell's Secret . . . . Eric Haddock . . . . 15th Generic D&D
Matters of Vengeance . . . . Darrin Drader . . . . 15th Generic D&D

Black Rain . . . . Monte Cook . . . . 16th Generic D&D

Haunting Lodge . . . . Owen K. C. Stephens . . . . 17th Generic D&D
Thunder Below, The . . . . James Jacobs . . . . 17th Generic D&D

Force of Nature . . . . Mark A. Jindra . . . . 18th Generic D&D
War of Dragons . . . . Robert Wiese . . . . 18th Generic D&D

Icy Heart, An . . . . Eric Haddock . . . . 20th Generic D&D

WotC Cliffhangers said:
The Approaching Swarm 06/10/02

Kingdom of the Blind 05/13/02

Into the Forsaken Temple's Crypt 04/08/02

The Trouble in Town 03/11/02

Sharkbait! 02/11/02

The Light of Despair 01/14/02

Training Grounds 12/10/01

Lorin's Chasm 11/12/01

Bridge Work 10/08/01

Nest of Corruption 09/10/01

Special: Cliffhangers Live! 08/17/01

Hindsight 08/13/01

A Giant Ransom 07/09/01

Black Water 06/11/01

The Horror of Lannock Hill 05/07/01

Over the Edge 04/02/01

Equinox 03/05/01

The Proper Count 02/05/01

The Tower of Lore 01/08/01

The Candlemaker's Fire 12/04/00

The Hallowed Hills 11/01/00

The Village of Camiram 10/01/00

Unearthing the Past 09/01/00

Last edited:

Yair

Community Supporter
I've had a good experience with The Ettin's Riddle. Good adventure, there.

The others, I don't know :eek:

Evilhalfling

Adventurer
I used the ministry of winds and the tower of deception, in a single campaign.
I selected them based on the fact that they were both by Monte, and the right levels. They also fit into my homebrews climate and culture better than some of the others.

The ministry of winds was being used as an orcale by several tribes of skulk in an abandonded city. It was actually a red herring quest, the players were looking for the elemental air bane sword owned by a PCs father which had been stolen, and a rumor of the ministry of winds was enough to send them off. It was modified by the creatures common to my homebrew world.
One PC was killed there, he was the son of a NE high priestess. In response she hired some mercenaries and leveled the building & much of the city, after the PCs returned to civilization.

The Tower of Deception was used to side track players, as they were about to face the BBEG (and get killed). The level they gained in the tower, plus a slight rethink in tactics allowed them to triumph. There were changes to the purpose and orgin of the tower, but little to the adventure itself. The party priest of the elven goddess of travel and gates, made the place over into a shrine, while the party wizard moved in permenantly as well.

Neither quest had much to do with the main campaign storyline - which was a far realm incursion.
I was less happy with the Tower of Deception, esp the scantilely clad women in an upper chamber, if I were to do it again, they would be revised. Also one enemy that could not leave a room and had no cover from doorway attacks. - tough as he was, he didn't lay a hand on the party.
The ministry off winds went better, some good RP and tough fights, one villian actually turned out to be a PCs brother, but that PC just went ahead and killed him anyway (sigh.)

Last edited:

Kesh

First Post
Here's a campaign path I put together using mostly the free adventures, along with a few old 2e modules and the occasional Dungeon article. This particular one is a cold-themed path, perhaps resulting from an evil ritual designed to plunge the world into ice, or coming into alignment with a plane of cold, etc.

(1-2) Unearthing the Past*
(2-3) The Dead of Winter*
(3-5) Touch of Death {reversed from desert to arctic}
(5-9) Dark of the Moon
(7-8) Into the Frozen Wastes*
(8-9) Fang, Beak & Claw*
(9-10) Tiger's Palace*
(10-11) Crumbling Hall of the Frost Giant Jarl*
(11-12) The Road to Oblivion*
(12-13) Thicker Than Water*
(13-15) A Frigid Demise*
(14-15) Ill Wind in Friezford*
(15-17) Glacier Season [Dungeon #87, pg. 77]
(17-18) Haunting Lodge*
(18-20) An Icy Heart*

Critical Threats - Cold Storage [Dungeon #96, pg. 12]

* Free adventure from the website.

Eye Tyrant

First Post
I've recently started a new homebrew and used the following:

The Ettin's Riddle
The Windswept Wall
The Eye of the Sun

The main reason I used these is because I don't have as much time as I need to write my own adventures. They were also easily adapted to my homebrew world. The first two were missions the party wizard took up for the Arcanist's Guild. The third was a mission that the party druid took up for the local enclave of tree-huggers :)

Next they will get to experience Sons of Gruumsh (not on the list I know), but this will be the beginning of an upcoming war/invasion.

Later, I plan to throw the recently revised Tomb of Horrors at them. This one is available for download on the WotC site as well...

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
Yair said:
I've had a good experience with The Ettin's Riddle. Good adventure, there.

The others, I don't know :eek:

I suspect most folks wil only know one or two, perhaps a handful at most. Still, I'm wondering also if people changed them significantly to fit their game (level-wise or otherwise) and if they used them to fill gaps or had planned them in from the beginning of a campaign, etc. Actually, anything at all about how any of the above adventures were used is of interest to me, I guess. :)

Guillaume said:
So how did you tie all of that up together ?

Never did run them, myself, but I am wondering what others might have done since there freebies get a lot of post-play on these boards. Curiosity.

Evilhalfling said:
I used the ministry of winds and the tower of deception, in a single campaign.
I selected them based on the fact that they were both by Monte, and the right levels. They also fit into my homebrews climate and culture better than some of the others.

So, the reputation of the author played a part in the decision to use them (certainly fair enough) but was that prior to actually reading any of them or did you just read the ones by authors you knew you'd likely enjoy? Did you take the time to check out any of the other authors and, if so, which ones?

Evilhalfling said:
The ministry of winds was being used as an orcale by several tribes of skulk in an abandonded city. It was actually a red herring quest, the players were looking for the elemental air bane sword owned by a PCs father which had been stolen, and a rumor of the ministry of winds was enough to send them off. It was modified by the creatures common to my homebrew world.
One PC was killed there, he was the son of a NE high priestess. In response she hired some mercenaries and leveled the building & much of the city, after the PCs returned to civilization.

That's a clever way to work that into a campaign.

Evilhalfling said:
The Tower of Deception was used to side track players, as they were about to face the BBEG (and get killed). The level they gained in the tower, plus a slight rethink in tactics allowed them to triumph. There were changes to the purpose and orgin of the tower, but little to the adventure itself. The party priest of the elven goddess of travel and gates, made the place over into a shrine, while the party wizard moved in permenantly as well.

Nice. It avoids the problem of having to potentially pull your punches later with the BBEG which can possibly ruin the whole campaign (with a watered-down finale).

Evilhalfling said:
Neither quest had much to do with the main campaign storyline - which was a far realm incursion.
I was less happy with the Tower of Deception, esp the scantilely clad women in an upper chamber, if I were to do it again, they would be revised. Also one enemy that could not leave a room and had no cover from doorway attacks. - tough as he was, he didn't lay a hand on the party.
The ministry off winds went better, some good RP and tough fights, one villian actually turned out to be a PCs brother, but that PC just went ahead and killed him anyway (sigh.)

I wonder how many villains die simply for lack of cover? :D

All in all it seems you made good use of what you snagged from their freebies. Overall, you must feel that it is a useful resource to have available, I would guess.

Voadam said:
I hadn't seen a collection and breakdown of them by level before thanks!

Well, in all fairness, I just copied them and put some break between the levels. It's a fairly complete list/pile of adventures they've accumulated over the last few years from some quality sources, isn't it?

Kesh said:
Here's a campaign path I put together using mostly the free adventures, along with a few old 2e modules and the occasional Dungeon article. This particular one is a cold-themed path, perhaps resulting from an evil ritual designed to plunge the world into ice, or coming into alignment with a plane of cold, etc.

(1-2) Unearthing the Past*
(2-3) The Dead of Winter*
(3-5) Touch of Death {reversed from desert to arctic}
(5-9) Dark of the Moon
(7-8) Into the Frozen Wastes*
(8-9) Fang, Beak & Claw*
(9-10) Tiger's Palace*
(10-11) Crumbling Hall of the Frost Giant Jarl*
(11-12) The Road to Oblivion*
(12-13) Thicker Than Water*
(13-15) A Frigid Demise*
(14-15) Ill Wind in Friezford*
(15-17) Glacier Season [Dungeon #87, pg. 77]
(17-18) Haunting Lodge*
(18-20) An Icy Heart*

Critical Threats - Cold Storage [Dungeon #96, pg. 12]

* Free adventure from the website.

Well, I'll state the obvious and say that is a very impressive use of available resources! I love the way you tied it all together and can only guess that you explored the resources first and then determined the nature of the campaign? (As opposed to planning the campaign and incidently being able to plug in so many of the freebies?) Very cool, indeed, and one I think any DM would be wise to copy and keep on a disc as a back-up campaign (or to use for their next one!) How did it go, overall? Any particular pitfalls worth noting?

Eye Tyrant said:
I've recently started a new homebrew and used the following:

The Ettin's Riddle
The Windswept Wall
The Eye of the Sun

The main reason I used these is because I don't have as much time as I need to write my own adventures. They were also easily adapted to my homebrew world. The first two were missions the party wizard took up for the Arcanist's Guild. The third was a mission that the party druid took up for the local enclave of tree-huggers :)

Next they will get to experience Sons of Gruumsh (not on the list I know), but this will be the beginning of an upcoming war/invasion.

Later, I plan to throw the recently revised Tomb of Horrors at them. This one is available for download on the WotC site as well...

Looks like you have a good campaign going and have some great plans for it. How many players? Are these people you have GM'd before? It sounds like you sit behind the screen fairly regularly.

Thanks to everyone who has posted so far! I'm keen to hear more, too! :)

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Mark, as a compulsive list-maker, I'm quite impressed with the adventure and level breakdown! Very nice!

I think the largest difficulty in making an Adventure Path out of these adventures is that any DM who wants to make an Adventure Path out of them needs to be familiar with all of them, and then mix-and-match the ones of the same level until they have the one that fits in best with the next adventure. Add in having to invent a metaplot, and it can be somewhat daunting. WotC's own original adventure path didn't have multiple adventure choices at each level, and gave a minor metaplot (Ashardalon), and it still wasn't done very well.

Kesh

First Post
Mark CMG said:
Well, I'll state the obvious and say that is a very impressive use of available resources! I love the way you tied it all together and can only guess that you explored the resources first and then determined the nature of the campaign? (As opposed to planning the campaign and incidently being able to plug in so many of the freebies?) Very cool, indeed, and one I think any DM would be wise to copy and keep on a disc as a back-up campaign (or to use for their next one!) How did it go, overall? Any particular pitfalls worth noting?

Basically, what I did was come up with a theme, based on reading an adventure or two. I decided to do a campaign based around winter / arctic conditions, and started looking for adventures I could use. Browsing through the free archives was surprisingly helpful for this one, as there were a lot of adventures that either had major cold themes, or at least could easily be used in a cold environment.

I also had a couple old 2e adventures, one of which was arctic themed, but the other was desert-themed. I decided, though, that with a judical change in trappings, I could change it from desert to a barren icey plain. Change special abilities from heat-related to cold-related, switch from the Egyptian theme to a more druidic/shamanic one with "ice mummies" and *bam* it becomes an arctic adventure. :)

Unfortunately, I never got to run it. Maybe I'll be able to pull together a group next year and try it out.

I've also made a few other theme-campaigns, but this one used the most free adventures & just flowed together the best.

Remove ads