• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ronin Arts: Behind the Spells!

philreed

Adventurer
Supporter
Have you always wondered about the secrets behind your favorite spells? In Behind the Spells, author Bret Boyd pulls back the curtains and reveals the mysteries and secrets of spells that players everywhere use regularly.

The first release, Behind the Spells: Magic Missile, examines the spellcaster who created the popular magic missile spell, the spell’s hidden capabilities, and variants for the spell.

Available now at:

e23

EnWorld GameStore

RPGNow

Twin Rose

First Post
This looks really cool Phil, though all I've seen so far is the introduction and the description - I think I might just pick it up myself. I always like adding that extra bit of depth to my campaign, somethng that has NOTHING to do with the game or current storyline itself, but makes the PCs feel at home.

HalWhitewyrm

First Post
Get it, then, because it'll do exactly that. It actually contains a bonus, as it also shows the origin of another standard spell, true strike (though it's only the origin, the extra info will have to wait for its own Behind the Spell).

Napftor

Explorer
I'm glad there seems to be some excitement with this series. I'll be writing up Behind the Spells: Fireball tonight. So watch for that, well, sometime in the near future (Phil assures me that these short pdfs are quick to put up for sale). If you have any comments about the content (either what it presented or what you would like to see) please feel free to contact me. It's probably easiest to post a comment in my blog (see link below) or email me.

Napftor

Explorer
The first review is in for Magic Missile: 5 out of 5! Not too shabby. Thanks to Derek for taking the time to put it up.

Twin Rose

First Post
Napftor said:
The first review is in for Magic Missile: 5 out of 5! Not too shabby. Thanks to Derek for taking the time to put it up.

Make sure Phil or someone else from Ronin Arts makes sure that the review ID is set in their product display on ENGS, this should put it up there in the top rated list ;)

Vascant

Wanderer of the Underdark
I do have a question, I doubt you guys have a list but any idea how far this series will stretch?

50 spells perhaps?

DMH

First Post
Napftor said:

It's worth it. A varient, some rules for making more useful and only costs a buck.

I still have to write the review for fireball, but is interesting that you contradicted a rather humorous letter to the editor of Dragon aout shooting a fireball with a bow (in the 160's or 170's). I like your method better even if I think it is too easy, though. A base AC of 25 makes more sense to me since it is a tiny, very fast moving object.

philreed

Adventurer
Supporter
Vascant said:
I do have a question, I doubt you guys have a list but any idea how far this series will stretch?

50 spells perhaps?

I'm not sure how many Bret has planned but if he does 50 I'll be forced to collect them into a limited hardcover.

Napftor

Explorer
DMH said:
I still have to write the review for fireball, but is interesting that you contradicted a rather humorous letter to the editor of Dragon about shooting a fireball with a bow (in the 160's or 170's). I like your method better even if I think it is too easy, though. A base AC of 25 makes more sense to me since it is a tiny, very fast moving object.

I'll have to look up that letter. As for the AC being too easy, well, it's tough to judge. I mean, how often do you encounter a player who actively tries to cause an "early impact?" I doubt very often. I say if someone wants to jump through the rules hoops then they should have a half decent chance of making it happen.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads