• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What does 'epic' mean to you?

What does 'epic' mean to you?

• Characters endowed with great power.

Votes: 65 41.9%
  • Taking place over an extended period of time.

Votes: 53 34.2%
  • Adhering to the cycle of the hero's journey as described by Campbell.

Votes: 46 29.7%
  • Other (Please Explain)

Votes: 36 23.2%

• Poll closed .

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
In the context of RPGs, what does the word 'epic' mean to you? For some people, the word epic simply means 'extremely high-powered', while for others it means 'spanning the space of many years' (possibly entire generations), and for still others it refers to a defined story cycle (the hero's journey) - but which of these things is 'epic' to you?

As for me, I tend to view 'epic' as being more about the latter type of story cycle than any tangible measure of character power in terms of physical or mechanical superiority (I believe that heroes are defined by deed) or passage of time (although this can often be a byproduct of the hero's journey). I'm very interested in hearing what others think, though, as the term 'epic' is one that you see bandied about quite often in RPG fora.

Last edited:

Lorgrom

First Post
Epic is very dependent on the context it is used in. An epic adventure can be 1st level, if it is a world altering event. At the same time, epic is also done in reference to anyone who has gone above and beyond normal means (ie above level 20 in most campaigns).

Kahuna Burger

First Post
Well, I voted for several as options that make a story epic, not as all being required.

Massively powerful protagonists give a story an epic feel for me.

The story cycle presented does have an epic feel.

Also, a story which involves the fate of many feels epic to me. Two massively powerful characters fighting isn't epic if they aren't fighting for anything significant.

MirrorMask

First Post
Lorgrom said:
Epic is very dependent on the context it is used in. An epic adventure can be 1st level, if it is a world altering event. At the same time, epic is also done in reference to anyone who has gone above and beyond normal means (ie above level 20 in most campaigns).

Took the words right out of my mouth.

-MirrorMask

Peter Gibbons

First Post
jdrakeh said:
In the context of RPGs, what does the word 'epic' mean to you?
21st level and above. Or, in the case of magic items, a +6 or greater enhancement bonus.

That's about all it means to me nowadays. If someone told me they were planning an "epic campaign," I'd expect characters of 21st level and above. If they told me they were planning an "epic campaign" with characters starting at 1st level, I'd assume they meant they intended for the campaign to continue until those characters were above 20th level. And if they told me they were planning an "epic campaign" beginning at 1st level and ending at 20th level, I'd assume they simply meant it would be (and would advise them to refer to it, for the sake of avoiding confusion, as) a "grand" campaign.

Kerrick

First Post
Epic, for our group, is what Peter called "a grand campaign" - either spanning a large amount of time and/or levels, or affecting a large area/number of people. World-shaking events, no matter the level, are epic. For levels beyond 20th, we use the term "legendary" - once you reach that power level, you have created enough of a story about yourself that you will be remembered and become a legend in the history of our world.

Psion

Adventurer
I don't assume you mean epic "level" unless you tack the word "level" on.

To me, epic means that the PCs are at the junction point of world-changing events, and can affect its outcome. They may of may not wield great power, but they will almost certainly cross the path of beings of great power.

I voted "great power" but it is mostly the importance of the PCs. If they are doing world shattering things, then it is epic, even if at low levels, or lower powered. But doing that kind of thing usually lands on high level / high powered hereos.

Mark Oliva

First Post
It adheres to the the cycle of the hero's journey, takes place over a long period of time and involves great and small fixtures and forces over a large geopolitical area. "Epic" D&D in this sense is epic in that it involves creatures and plots that can set such epic events into motion.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads