• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Red Hand of Doom reloaded

DM_Jeff

Explorer
So I'm to understand all threads since Dec 2005 are missing too? OK, here's a new RHoD Thread...

I came here to find the old thread because someone had a few good suggestions on what to run to bring characters playing this adventure up to the level required, 5th level.

Anyone recall what that suggestion(s) was/were? Thanks!

-DM Jeff

delericho

Legend
I believe two of the more common suggestions were "Forge of Fury" and/or "Sons of Gruumsh". Both strike me as pretty good adventures.

Stormborn

Explorer
As long as we are reloading:
Did anyone ever determine a suitable conversion to Eberron? I have a 5th level party in Sharn connected to Morgave. They have just really gotten themselves in a lot of potential trouble and might be looking to get out of town soon. I was thinking I might send them on a dig to the area where the Red Hand opens if it seems like the module can be used for Eberron or if someone has done a clear coversion for the setting. If not I will likely just use homebrew adventures. They usually lead to less trouble for me anyway.

Klaus

First Post
Re: Eberron -> The Red Hand would ideally spill into Breland from Droaam. Tiamat is already a dragon goddess there.

Another option mentioned in the old thread is to have the Red Hand come from the Demon Wastes (just alter the hobgoblins/goblins/bugbears into fiendish humans cosmetically), with the "aspect" at the end be a Rajah that manages to escape the Khyber shard imprisoning it for the big fight. In this case, describe all things draconian as fiendish.

Stormborn

Explorer
Klaus said:
Re: Eberron -> The Red Hand would ideally spill into Breland from Droaam. Tiamat is already a dragon goddess there.

Another option mentioned in the old thread is to have the Red Hand come from the Demon Wastes (just alter the hobgoblins/goblins/bugbears into fiendish humans cosmetically), with the "aspect" at the end be a Rajah that manages to escape the Khyber shard imprisoning it for the big fight. In this case, describe all things draconian as fiendish.

Oh those are both great ideas. Especially since I have a PC warlock who was raised by one of the clans that guards the demon wastes and later ran away. Although, the Droaam connection might be easier. Did WotC ever put out a guide to using the book in diff settings?

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
DM_Jeff said:
So I'm to understand all threads since Dec 2005 are missing too? OK, here's a new RHoD Thread...

I came here to find the old thread because someone had a few good suggestions on what to run to bring characters playing this adventure up to the level required, 5th level.

Anyone recall what that suggestion(s) was/were? Thanks!

-DM Jeff
If you were to hold on a few months, there's another goblinoid invasion module coming from WotC, but for lower levels. It looks like quite a good lead-in to RHoD, although it makes me wonder why two such superficially similar products were released so close together (to say nothing of Sons of Gruumsh).

Warbringer

Explorer
Whizbang Dustyboots said:
If you were to hold on a few months, there's another goblinoid invasion module coming from WotC, but for lower levels. It looks like quite a good lead-in to RHoD, although it makes me wonder why two such superficially similar products were released so close together (to say nothing of Sons of Gruumsh).

And in reverse order :confused:

Stormborn said:
As long as we are reloading:
Did anyone ever determine a suitable conversion to Eberron? I have a 5th level party in Sharn connected to Morgave. They have just really gotten themselves in a lot of potential trouble and might be looking to get out of town soon. I was thinking I might send them on a dig to the area where the Red Hand opens if it seems like the module can be used for Eberron or if someone has done a clear coversion for the setting. If not I will likely just use homebrew adventures. They usually lead to less trouble for me anyway.

My Eberron party are also 5th, and RHoD is one of the two options available to them (they will have to choose next session). The party have been in eastern Breland: New Cyre and north-east of there in the Seawall Mountains. Consequently, that's where I've placed Elsir Vale: more-or-less following the Seawall mountains, with New Cyre taking the place of Dennovar.

This will require some map & geography changes. Fortunately the Eberron maps are of such a large scale that it's fairly easy to make changes without it looking dodgy. So, the Elsir Vale map in the RHoD module is re-oriented 90 degrees clockwise: north is what the map calls west, placing the early and later action in the module east of the series of towns and villages on the Dawn Way. I'm 'combining' the Giantshield and Wyrmsmoke mountains, and linking them with more mountains that stretch around the top of Lake Rhest--they then become part of the Seawalls. Lastly, I'm downgrading the Wyvernwatch mountains to hills. My only outstanding task is to re-position the Dawn Way slightly--the way I've set things up, the 'help from the north' that the inhabitants of Drellin's Ferry hope for would come from, er, Darguun...

Flavour wise I'm making the Red Hand a new, separate entity within Darguun that does not respect the traditional tribe and clan boundaries. It cuts across those, appealing to disaffected goblinoids from all tribes. As such it is a new tension within Darguun, unsupported and unrelated to both the Lhesh Haruuc and the Heirs of Dhakaan. Depending on how things pan out, the party may even receive help from either or both of these groups to bring the Red Hand down.

I'm not sure if I'm keeping Tiamat. I'm tempted to change her to Ashardalon, who is figuring elsewhere in the background of my campaign. Alternatively I might like her to the Lords of Dust, making her more fiendish than divine. Lastly, I might link her to the Daelkyr, some sort of draconic aberration, an alliance of dragons and daelkyr made manifest.

The good thing about this part of Breland is (i) it's not heavily settled; (ii) there's goblinoids in them there mountains!

Jumping topics, prior to this the party have mainly been doing the Forge of Fury. It was coincidence (I started before I even knew about RHoD) but fits well, especially as I cvhanged it from a dwarven to goblinoid holding.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads