Handling a Gray Ooze

Grisu

First Post
Hi,

How to handle the details of a gray ooze?

Constrict: Do I understand this correctly: If a player gets hit by the ooze he takes damega (1d6+1 plus 1d6 acid). Then a opposing grapple check determines if it can hold the player. If this succeeds, the player gets additional damage 1d6+1 plus 1d6 acid.
How about the next round if the player could'nt escape the hold. Do I have to make another opposing grapple check to constrict?

Acid:
OK, when a player hits with his longsword he has to make a reflex throw dc 16 or his sword will take damage. Is this his own reflex skill or something of the weapon? The sword will then take 16 points damage. This would destroy the sword (16 - 5 hardness > 5 hp)?

Another player hits as well in the same round, does his weapon gets another 16 point damage?

And for a constricted player. Does all his metal and wood parts automatically get hit by his acid and he has to make a reflex save (dc 16+4=20) to avoid damage to his weapon, shield, armor. etc. Does every item get 16 point of damage, or all items together?

Thanks for any help, grisu

Dracandross

First Post
I think if ooze hits with slam it can as free action make grapple check. Then on next round if you are grappled it may constrict you. But on round it slams it cant also deal constrict damage. Constricting is attack and therefore needs action to do, which on grapple round ooze doesnt have.

Attended eqs use characters saves (-4 if constricting) unattended use eqs saves. Each eq thats in contact with ooze must make save (example something inside some container, like backpack, doesnt have to).

Each character that hits must save for attacking weapon, ability doesnt specify how many times it will affect.

Dracandross

frankthedm

First Post
Grisu said:
Constrict: Do I understand this correctly: If a player gets hit by the ooze he takes damega (1d6+1 plus 1d6 acid). Then a opposing grapple check determines if it can hold the player. If this succeeds, the player gets additional damage 1d6+1 plus 1d6 acid.
yes
How about the next round if the player could'nt escape the hold. Do I have to make another opposing grapple check to constrict?
Yes
Acid:
OK, when a player hits with his longsword he has to make a reflex throw dc 16 or his sword will take damage. Is this his own reflex skill or something of the weapon?
The players reflex save or the magic weapon's save, whichever is higher.
The sword will then take 16 points damage. This would destroy the sword (16 - 5 hardness > 5 hp)?
No, if the player fails the save the sword is DESTROYED regardless of its material, enchantment, HP or hardness.
Another player hits as well in the same round, does his weapon gets another 16 point damage?
Save or destroy again actually. This will happen until the players smarten up and stop hitting the pile of living acid with valuable weapons.
And for a constricted player. Does all his metal and wood parts automatically get hit by his acid and he has to make a reflex save (dc 16+4=20) to avoid damage to his weapon, shield, armor. etc. Does every item get 16 point of damage, or all items together?
While the constric is happening, Armor or clothing dissolves and becomes useless immediately unless it succeeds on a DC 16 Reflex save. Only after the PC is dead do you start applying the acid damage to all gear carried.

werk

First Post
Dracandross said:
I think if ooze hits with slam it can as free action make grapple check. Then on next round if you are grappled it may constrict you. But on round it slams it cant also deal constrict damage. Constricting is attack and therefore needs action to do, which on grapple round ooze doesnt have.

Just to clarify...

Constrict (Ex): A creature with this special attack can crush an opponent, dealing bludgeoning damage, after making a successful grapple check. The amount of damage is given in the creature’s entry. If the creature also has the improved grab ability it deals constriction damage in addition to damage dealt by the weapon used to grab.

Improved Grab (Ex): If a creature with this special attack hits with a melee weapon (usually a claw or bite attack), it deals normal damage and attempts to start a grapple as a free action ... A successful hold does not deal any extra damage unless the creature also has the constrict special attack. If the creature does not constrict, each successful grapple check it makes during successive rounds automatically deals the damage indicated for the attack that established the hold. Otherwise, it deals constriction damage as well (the amount is given in the creature’s descriptive text)....

Gray ooze does have constrict and improved grab. They could slam, grapple, and constrict as part of one attack. It's also in the ooze's description.

Constrict (Ex): A gray ooze deals automatic slam and acid damage with a successful grapple check.
Improved Grab (Ex): To use this ability, a gray ooze must hit with its slam attack. It can then attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. If it wins the grapple check, it establishes a hold and can constrict.

frankthedm

First Post
For as much damage as it does, I tend to house-rule half the damage from constriction is subdual [but also reduces breath holding time].

And if some fool want to handle grey ooze, i suggest glass or stone gauntlets

Corsair

First Post
frankthedm said:
For as much damage as it does, I tend to house-rule half the damage from constriction is subdual [but also reduces breath holding time].

And if some fool want to handle grey ooze, i suggest glass or stone gauntlets

Or be a black dragon.

Gansk

Explorer
Keep in mind that a typical gray ooze is medium size, so its improved grab only works on small-size or smaller creatures.

frankthedm

First Post
Gansk, your right! Let me fix that... One advanced Grey Ooze, coming up! The players can thank me if they ever find me!

fastgreyooze1uj.jpg

Size/Type: Large Ooze
Hit Dice: 7d10+56 (98hp) {94HP if PCs have to roll HD by RAW /no re-rolls etc…
Initiative: -5
Speed: 10 ft. (2 squares)
Armor Class: 7 (-5 Dex, -1 size, +3 natural armor), touch 4, flat-footed 7
Base Attack/Grapple: +5/+14
Attack: Slam +9 melee (1d8+7 plus 1d6 acid)
Full Attack: Slam +9 melee (1d8+7 plus 1d6 acid)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Acid, constrict 1d8+7 plus 1d6 acid, improved grab
Special Qualities: Blindsight 60 ft., immunity to cold and fire, ooze traits*, transparent
Saves: Fort +10, Ref -3, Will -3
Abilities: Str 20, Dex 1, Con 26, Int Ø, Wis 1, Cha 1 [Con received the 1 level up point]
Challenge Rating: 6
Treasure: None {Gems in previous editions IIRC]
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement: 8-9 HD (Large)

The Reflex save to avoid dissolving equipment is DC21, DC25 for armor or clothing during a constrict.
The damage to objects is 21 acid damage per round of exposure.

Those lovely ooze traits...
*Mindless: No Intelligence score, and immunity to all mind-affecting effects (charms, compulsions, phantasms, patterns, and morale effects).
*Blind (but have the blindsight special quality), with immunity to gaze attacks, visual effects, illusions, and other attack forms that rely on sight.
*Immunity to poison, sleep effects, paralysis, polymorph, and stunning.
*Not subject to critical hits or flanking.

Remove ads