• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Bardic Feats

the Lorax

First Post
In many areas, the mechanical weakness of the bard has been discussed. I decided to craft a series of feats for my campaign world which had several goals:
a-Primarily useful to bards/require bard levels to obtain
b-Mostly useful to bards/bardic abilities
c-Be better than an esisting feat
d-Add color to my campaign world

As a note, the marker "[Trait]" indicates a feat that can only be taken at first level.

Tharian Bloodsinger [General] [Trait]
You were trained in the traditions of the Tharian Bloodsinger bardic schools.
Prerequisites: Con 13+, Toughness, Perform 4 ranks, DM’s permission
Benefits: +1 hit point per arcane casting level. All “Cure” spells are cast at +1 to Caster level.

Loremaster of Eld [General] [Trait]
You were trained in the traditions of the ancient elven Loremasters of Eld.
Prerequisites: Int 13+, Knowledge (History) 4 ranks, Knowledge (any) 4 ranks, DM’s permission
Benefits: +2 on Bardic Knowledge checks, all skills are class skills

Blademaster [General] [Trait]
You were trained in the traditions of the performing blademasters and duelists common to area around the Bay of a Thousand Islands.
Prerequisites: Dex 13+, Bluff 4 ranks, Perform 4 ranks, DM’s permission
Benefits: You may wield all light weapons and use the benefits of Weapon Finesse feat. You also gain a +4 bonus to all Bluff skill checks for purposes of attempting a feint.

Primal Seer [General] [Trait]
You were trained in the traditions of the Shamaran seers and storytellers.
Prerequisites: Wis 13+, Survival 4 ranks, DM’s permission
Benefits: You add the Plant or Animal domain to the Bard Spell List and gain the appropriate domain power. You use Wisdom as your stat that you base your spells upon for bonus spells and Save DCs.

Warrior Poet [General] [Trait]
You were trained in the traditions of the
Prerequisites: Str 13+, Craft (Poetry) 4 ranks, Combat Reflexes, DM’s permission
Benefits: Your bardic music bonuses are increased by +1.

Herald [General] [Trait]
You were trained in the traditions of the Herald’s Guild or the Merchant’s Friends.
Prerequisites: Chr 13+, Sense Motive 4 ranks, Diplomacy 4 ranks, DM’s permission
Benefits: + 2 to all Sense Motive, Bluff and Diplomacy skill checks

Last edited:

Brother Richard

First Post
I like it.

This is a very good idea but i believe that because of the bard's weakness, they should be able to use one of these feats at first level for free. Also the first feat may only be taken by humans which I believe is not fair.

IndyPendant

First Post
These are a neat idea and are good beginner feats. But I'm not certain they are the way to go to 'balance' the bard. I am one of the minority that think the bard is almost balanced as RAW--but could use a slight boost. But I believe in order to properly enhance the bard you need to make it more, er, bardic. Here is what I have done to the bard to balance it. I don't feel it is completed yet--but then again, my current campaign is is in AE, and my next one will likely be Iron Heroes, so it...probably won't be worked on further anytime soon. : )

Anyways, here are the changes I made:

Bard:
Bards gain Disable Device, Open Lock, and Search as class skills, and gain the rogue’s Trapfinding class ability. This change is not to correct a balance issue, but to give players more options than the rogue and only the rogue, when choosing a trapfinding class for the party.

Perform is a half-skill. It costs 1/2 skill point per rank, counts as 1/2 a skill for the purposes of feats like Skill Focus, etc. Maximum skill ranks per level still apply as normal.

All bonuses provided by bardic music and similar effects are music bonuses, and not morale bonuses.

Bards have the additional bardic music ability presented here. Other abilities may be added over time as I discover them.
---Inspire Spellpower (Adapted from Races of Stone.) A bard of 5th level or higher with 8 or more ranks in a Perform skill can use his music or poetics to inspire the spellcasting of himself and allied spellcasters, making their spells more powerful. To be affected, an ally must be able to hear you perform. The effect lasts for as long as the ally hears you sing and for five rounds thereafter. The affected allies' effective caster level is increased by 1. Inspire spellpower is a mind-affecting ability.

Dual Bardsong [General]
Source: This one’s entirely my own.
Prerequisites: 9 ranks in any two Perform skills.
Benefit: You may use a standard action to activate two bardic music effects at once. This counts as two uses of your bardic music ability. You may maintain two bardic music effects at the same time.

Song of the Heart [General]
Source: Eberron Campaign Setting.
Prerequisistes: Bardic music class feature, inspire competence ability, Perform 6 ranks.
Benefit: When you use inspire courage, inspire competence, inspire greatness, or inspire heroics, the bonus granted by your music increases
by +1. Also, when you use fascinate, suggestion, or mass suggestion, the saving throw DC increases by 1.

Stalker0

Legend
I like these feats. I would also look at complete adventurer for more ideas, I'm playing a bard now, and I've found the feats and spells in their have gone a long way towards balancing me in combat.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads