Artificers, or any spellcaster, and scribe spells feat

DM-Rocco

Explorer
Okay, I understand how to make scrolls, with a single spell on it, but what happens when you make a scroll with more than one spell on it? You can put, if I recall correctly, up to 7 spells on a single scroll, so is the cost reduced to the highest level spell on the scroll since they share a scroll? How does that work?

Also, as an Artificer, do you need a 19 Wisdom to make an implosion scroll or does your UMD skill or other class ability compensate for that?

Also, if you make a scroll of, let's say fireball, is that spell considered Arcane cause you got it from the arcane list, or is it considered unnamed since infusions don't count as arcane of divine? Or was that wording just pertaining to Infusions and has nothing to do with items you make?

DM-Rocco

Explorer
Oh, and can you make a scroll, as an artificer, with a meta-magic feat built into it, or can you only add those at higher levels when you get spontaneous ability to do so?

MarkB

Legend
DM-Rocco said:
Okay, I understand how to make scrolls, with a single spell on it, but what happens when you make a scroll with more than one spell on it? You can put, if I recall correctly, up to 7 spells on a single scroll, so is the cost reduced to the highest level spell on the scroll since they share a scroll? How does that work?
You can scribe up to six spells on a single scroll, and it is considered one item for purposes of crafting time. However, the cost for each spell is the same as if you had scribed each to a separate scroll.

Also, as an Artificer, do you need a 19 Wisdom to make an implosion scroll or does your UMD skill or other class ability compensate for that?

Also, if you make a scroll of, let's say fireball, is that spell considered Arcane cause you got it from the arcane list, or is it considered unnamed since infusions don't count as arcane of divine? Or was that wording just pertaining to Infusions and has nothing to do with items you make?
According to the Eberron Campaign Setting errata, scrolls scribed by an Artificer are considered Artificer scrolls. As such, they will use the Artificer's primary casting ability (Intelligence) to determine whether they can be cast (or scribed), and do not have Arcane Spell Failure - but they cannot be used without a Use Magic Device check, and may not be scribed to a spellbook.

I think Artificers can emulate a higher ability score via UMD for item creation, but I'd have to check the book, and I'm at work right now.

DM-Rocco

Explorer
Now if you were a wizard/artificer you could craft them either way and there would be a chance of arcane spell failure if you made them as a Wizard?

If they can't be used to scribe a scroll into a spellbook (Artificer scrolls), you could just scribe them into a spell book directly, couldn't you?

Wystan

Explorer
Now, stupid question I know....

Why does it take 9 pages (or more) in a book to scribe 1 9th level spell, but you can put 6 9th level spells on one scroll?

DreamChaser

Explorer
Wystan said:
Now, stupid question I know....

Why does it take 9 pages (or more) in a book to scribe 1 9th level spell, but you can put 6 9th level spells on one scroll?

No one said that a scroll was 8.5 x 11. Perhaps the scroll for the 6 9th level spells is 4 feet long (it just roles up nice and compact).

DC

Henry

Autoexreginated
DreamChaser said:
No one said that a scroll was 8.5 x 11. Perhaps the scroll for the 6 9th level spells is 4 feet long (it just roles up nice and compact).

A scroll with 6 9th level spells on it would probably look like the iconic "Santa's List." :D

Wystan

Explorer
Henry said:
A scroll with 6 9th level spells on it would probably look like the iconic "Santa's List." :D

And therefore be unwieldy and useless in battle. Now from what I recall of scrolls it is a normal action to finish a spell on a scroll. So it still makes no sense.

DM-Rocco

Explorer
Wystan said:
And therefore be unwieldy and useless in battle. Now from what I recall of scrolls it is a normal action to finish a spell on a scroll. So it still makes no sense.

Of course that does sound stupid. I also think it is stupid you can't a spell from your spell book. You used to be able to in AD&D and then magic became hard to understand or something in 3.5. I read somewhere that it is cause now they just notes on the spell and not the spell itself, which is even stupider. Wouldn't you want a sample of the finished spell in your book?

DM-Rocco

Explorer
MarkB said:
You can scribe up to six spells on a single scroll, and it is considered one item for purposes of crafting time. However, the cost for each spell is the same as if you had scribed each to a separate scroll.

Hmm, then Harry Potter has nothing to worry about. He can finish his required 9 inch essay on werewolves and still make the quiditch game with time to spare. In fact he could do 6 essays ;) :) :D

Remove ads