Why people like to play OD&D (1974)

Odhanan

Adventurer
Diaglo said:
point of fact. i have yet to have someone ask me my opinion about why i love the edition i do and it not turn out badly.

even with me ignoring the obvious trolling. others jump into the mess for or against.

so i have yet to complete a thread on the subject.

Well, I'm very interested in your reasons to play OD&D besides the fact it's the "only true game". So let's give it another try, shall we?

Diaglo and anyone who loves OD&D (1974): Why do you like to play OD&D? Why would you prefer it to any other edition of the game?

WARNING: Please be constructive. No tongue-in-cheek, no flamewars. Respect the opinions of other people. Explain your own and try not to attack other people AND opinions. Agree to disagree. If these ground rules make you scoff, you are welcome to post somewhere else. Thank you.

Crothian

First Post
While I'm no Diaglo here's my simple answer:

The games does what it does very well. It is easy to learn, and in the confines of oD&D it all works well. Third edition while a great game, is a very different game. The basic game assumptions are altered in a huge way.

Since my first exposure to D&D was the AD&D hardbacks and the red boxed Basic Set, maybe a proponent of the OD&D version could explain how it differed from those later editions as they extoll the virtues of the system?

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
Odhanan said:
WARNING: Please be constructive. No tongue-in-cheek, no flamewars. Respect the opinions of other people. Explain your own and try not to attack other people AND opinions. Agree to disagree. If these ground rules make you scoff, you are welcome to post somewhere else. Thank you.

I think another thing to avoid in order to stave off flames is to not define what one likes by what it isn't. It's always better to state what something is, and let it stand on its own virtues independent of something else.

Rhun

First Post
DreadPirateMurphy said:
Since my first exposure to D&D was the AD&D hardbacks and the red boxed Basic Set, maybe a proponent of the OD&D version could explain how it differed from those later editions as they extoll the virtues of the system?

I agree with this statement as well...I've always been curious as to what the actual difference is.

Insight

Adventurer
I'd like to see the wide and varied opinions on this as well. I started with 1st Ed way back when (ca. 1983) with AD&D. I played Basic long enough to learn the game, but I only played B2 before moving on to the AD&D modules.

My recollection of AD&D (not sure if this is considered OD&D): I had a lot of fun with this system. Of course, it was my first RPG, and I had no frame of reference at the time. Is it nostalgia? Probably. The one thing I recall most vividly is running to the game store to se the new modules that had come out. I specifically remember how cool everyone thought Ravenloft (the module) was.

mmadsen

First Post
Odhanan said:
Why do you like to play OD&D? Why would you prefer it to any other edition of the game?
I don't play OD&D, but I can immediately see the allure: it's simple enough that it doesn't get in the way. If the game formally defines too many things, then the rules get in the way -- both because the rules are more likely to get in the way of a judgment call than to provide a superior judgment and because rules need to be looked up and followed.

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
Insight said:
My recollection of AD&D (not sure if this is considered OD&D

No, it's not. OD&D is the very original D&D, which was years before AD&D. AD&D added complexity to the game. OD&D is, in general, very rules-light and consisted of a small boxed set of three booklets.

Remove ads