Is Against the Cult of the Reptile God a well-designed adventure module?

Is Against the Cult of the Reptile God a well-designed adventure module?

• Yes

Votes: 39 66.1%
  • No

Votes: 12 20.3%
  • Other

Votes: 8 13.6%

Quasqueton

First Post
Is the classic AD&D1 adventure module Against the Cult of the Reptile God a well-designed adventure module?

n1light.jpg

I’m not asking if you like it or had fun with it. I’m not asking if it is a great piece of D&D history. Just, is it well designed as a published adventure for general D&D play?

If it is, what could current module designers/authors learn from it? What should current module designers/authors try to emulate about it?

Quasqueton

Mycanid

First Post
Yes. I thought this was excellent.

One of the best things about it was the detail of the town and the "factions" therein. In those days not many towns were that detailed nor was npc psychology delved into much to give the dm parameters on how to run the npc.

The lair in the swamp was also well designed in the sense of being believable. I especially remember the part about the pumps helping to clear the lair out and their being able to be used by the pc's as a good touch.

I also thought the character balance with the foes (especially in the swamp lair) was pretty tough, but not impossible, esp. if they got the help of Ramne! In other words the pcs really had to be careful and think.

Oh yes, and by the by on a little off topic note, there is an excellent NWN remake of this adventure available at: http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Modules.Detail&id=4921 for those interested.

Ourph

First Post
Everything about the adventure is excellent except for the "final encounter" - which basically required NPC support to survive and took the final spotlight off the PCs. Otherwise, it is an exceptionally well done low-level adventure that, with a little work, expands nicely into a mini-campaign setting.

DMH

First Post
Hell no. I love it but even way back when when I first read it I knew the naga would be too much for a low level party- the permanent charm effect was a killer with such bad saves.

T. Foster

First Post
No. The final encounter which requires that a high-level NPC be along to do the heavy lifting wrecks it for me. Otherwise, I found the module blad-but-serviceable. The village of Orlane feels IMO like something of a pale copy of Hommlet.

BluSponge

Explorer
I would say the only fault (if you can call it that) is requiring the PCs to have NPC assistance to succeed against the main antagonist. That was the only thing that rubbed me the wrong way when I originally ran it. But then, I like the players to be the heroes, not my NPCs. It didn't interfere with our enjoyment of the adventure, however, so take it for what you will.

Tom

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
This is my all-time favorite adventure.

From the investigation of the mystery in the town and the two set peices to explore (the temple and the swamp lair) it has a variety of challenges for the PCs and requires them to use a variety of skills and tactics to succeed.

I have no problem with them relying on the NPC to have a better chance of succeeding (getting the scroll from Ramne) and I have no problem with the relative dnager of the naga foe - it just sets good tone for the level of danger and requires the PCs be cautious.

Arnwyn

First Post
Ourph said:
Everything about the adventure is excellent except for the "final encounter" - which basically required NPC support to survive and took the final spotlight off the PCs. Otherwise, it is an exceptionally well done low-level adventure that, with a little work, expands nicely into a mini-campaign setting.
I agree with the entirety of the above quote. But I voted no, for the reason listed above. If the problem lies with the climactic encounter, then it's not well-designed in my eyes.

(But I still liked it, and it was a relatively easy fix when I converted it to 3e.)

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
I voted "other." Like others who've already answered, I felt it was a really well-done module, but fell down with the final encounter and the PCs needing to have NPC help. If that was rectified, then I'd unhesitatingly say "yes" in the poll above.

Last edited:

No. Not only is the final encounter inexcusably lame, the rest of the module has some problems as well.

How about the troglodyte ambush against the party when they sleep in Orlane? This is almost a guaranteed TPK against a non-paranoid party. (And because this is a 1st level adventure, the players are presumably not hardened, paranoid adventurers yet.)

How about the "mysterious hermit" who lives smack-dab in the middle of town? At least put some effort into making him more, y'know, mysterious and hermit-like.

How about the fact that the title of the module gives away the plot? Yeesh.

I will have to dig out my copy and look at the rest of the encounters, but I don't recall them being anything special (i.e., good).

Remove ads