Horizon Walker

Vorput

First Post
I just want to make sure I'm reading this right...

At 6th level of the horizon walker prestige class (or 11th character level for a ranger if they enter this prestige class at the earliest oppurtunity)- they can take this ability.

Shifting (Planar)
You instinctively anticipate shifts in the reality of the plane that bring you closer to your destination, giving you the spell-like ability to use dimension door (as the spell cast at your character level) once every 1d4 rounds. You gain a +1 insight bonus on attack and damage rolls against outsiders and elementals native to a shifting plane.

Is that as good as it sounds? Am I missing something? I mean dimension door at will is a pretty nifty ability... Could the aforementioned ranger (let's call him Fred) also take quicken spell like ability at 16th level? Allowing quickened dimension door-ing.

Cause if so... that alone may make the ranger class fun to me again. :)

Vorp

Rystil Arden

First Post
This is correct. I initially misread Horizon Walker and thought they only got that feature on a shifting plane, but they genuinely do get that ability. It instantly changed my opinion of the class from 'worthless' to 'cool' :)

Vorput said:
I just want to make sure I'm reading this right...

At 6th level of the horizon walker prestige class (or 11th character level for a ranger if they enter this prestige class at the earliest oppurtunity)- they can take this ability.

Is that as good as it sounds? Am I missing something? I mean dimension door at will is a pretty nifty ability... Could the aforementioned ranger (let's call him Fred) also take quicken spell like ability at 16th level? Allowing quickened dimension door-ing.

Cause if so... that alone may make the ranger class fun to me again. :)

Vorp

Yes, it is a very cool ability, and yes, you could use QSLA with it. Remember, though, that you can't take any actions after you perform a DD, so that would really only be useful to make a quick getaway.

Overall, I find that the Horizon Walker suffers from many of the same problems as the 3.0 monk. It is very cool, and has a lot of nice abilities on paper, but it just isn't all that useful. Five levels of abilities that do almost nothing but grant skill bonuses hurts a lot, and the planar terrain abilities are all very situational in their usefulness.

Vorput

First Post
Deset Gled said:
Yes, it is a very cool ability, and yes, you could use QSLA with it. Remember, though, that you can't take any actions after you perform a DD, so that would really only be useful to make a quick getaway.

Oh man... I never noticed that part of the spell before... that's... so... sad... ::sniffs::

Ridley's Cohort

First Post
Horizon Walker makes for a cool NPC. I can see dipping for one or two levels in a particular campaign for a PC.

But the abilities do easily stack usefully, so they are less potent than they might otherwise seem.

EyeontheMountain

First Post
Well, the class does have a lot to offer, particularly to a melee fighter. First level takethe underground for 60 feet darkvision. That is awesome, and a great trade for endurance if you ar a human. If you are a ranger, then you get it totally free.

The knowledge ranks could be very problematic, especially if you are a straight fighter, but a one or two level dip into ranger will take care of that problem. Just spend all your skill points in Knowledge geography.

Levels 2-4 are the problem as you don't get much, though the extra skill points and decent skills can be nice if you envision a straight fighter.

5th elvel is hte DD of course, and aftr that you might be able to convince your DM to let you take acid and electricity resistance 20 in addition tothe fire and cold. Having resistance 20 to msot energy types, DD, darkvision, and +4 on four very useful skills is not bad for 10 levels

If it were not so boring. Mechanically it is OK, but for beleiveability and such it is abyssmal.

Vorput

First Post
EyeontheMountain said:
If it were not so boring. Mechanically it is OK, but for beleiveability and such it is abyssmal.

Unfortunatly, yeah... it's just so hard to believe some of those abilities...

Votan

Explorer
Vorput said:
Unfortunatly, yeah... it's just so hard to believe some of those abilities...

True, but wizards are also hard to believe so suspension of disbelief should apply equally.

The shifting planes ability is so good, however, that I tend to think of it as utterly automatic compared to the alternatives.

Wish

First Post
I'm a fan of the class, either for a short dip or for an extended swim.

Darkvision is great. Immunity to fatigue is nice too. And +4 listen isn't horrible (since it's hard to get listen bonuses otherwise in a campaign that doesn't allow creation of non-standard magic items). Then, admittedly, you've got a couple of pretty boring levels.

The planar terrains are amazing though, especially shifting. Aligned is pretty good too though, as are cold and firey and the one that gives tremorsense.

Legildur

First Post
Deset Gled said:
...Remember, though, that you can't take any actions after you perform a DD, so that would really only be useful to make a quick getaway...
It has so many uses that I can't even begin to list them all.

There is a tactical feat in Complete Warrior called Sun School, which (among other things) allows you to make a single attack after using the DD ability (regardless of how the ability is obtained). But you would need the Flurry of Blows ability as it is a prerequisite, so a dip into Monk for one level is on the cards.

Remove ads