• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

SORCERER - LIKES & DISLIKES

Flamewarrior

First Post
Well, people, since the other threads are frozen by now, I took the opportunity to choose the next class. Call me crazy as much as you like, but I'm looking for opinons on the sorcerer. So, as always: what do you like/dislike in the sorcerer (be as broad or specific as you like)?

Mycanid

First Post
Well, to be honest I kind of like the idea behind the sorceror - an arcane spellcaster with a different means of casting spells than the wizard has.

But I must admit that I am really tired of the illustrations of Hennet. :)

Crothian

First Post
I like the limited spells they know and the spontanious casting

I dislike that they get nothing else and there is no reason not to jump to a Prestige Class that offers full casting ability. I also dislike that by default they get their power from draconic heritage.

wayne62682

First Post
Like: The flavor

Dislike: Such a limited number of spells known that you HAVE to specialize; NO class abilities whatsoever; they should have more skill points because they don't study like a wizard; they should get some bonus feats or something...

In short, I love the flavor and absoulutely HATE the mechancis, because WOTC decided that spontaneous casting was so great that it warranted absolutely NOTHING else...

Swamp Druid

First Post
I like the flavor of the class and the spontaneous casting ability. I think it's a really good class to use when multiclassing.

The thing I don't like about it is that you don't get special abilities when you gain levels. This is much like the ranger used to be in 3.0. I think they should gain some metamagic feats and maybe 1 or 2 other special abilities at various levels.

Ciaran

First Post
Dislikes: Narrow range of spells known, lack of neat-o special abilities

Likes: Spontaneous casting, lack of spellbooks, and pictures of Hennet :D

sniffles

First Post
I dislike that sorcerers have the same spell list as wizards. I'd like them to have their own spells, or at least a slightly different list. I agree about the lack of metamagic feats. I think sorcerers ought to get Eschew Materials as a bonus feat. If a sorcerer doesn't study magic in the traditional way that wizards do, then how does he know that spell needs that particular component to cast?

I also think sorcerers ought to get more HP, since they don't have to spend so much time studying.

I'd like to see them have more skill points, too - but then I'd like to see all classes get more class skills and skill points. :)

Cith

First Post
I like sorcerors, save one big issue. Skills. They really need a bigger skill point pool. Significantly so, given that their primary stat is charisma, not intelligence.

Tinker Gnome

Explorer
Like: Spontaneous Casting, and different flavor than Wizards, no spellbook

Dislike: Very small spell list, not many skill points per level

To fix them I would give them 4+int modifier skill points and let them have an "overchannel" option which would allow them to cast a spell even when they have run out of spell slots for that level of spell. I think the check would be a charisma check and would be 20 + the spells level. The Sorcerer would have to make a fortitude save or take as many d6 as the spells level in damage each time they used it. The fortitude save would be 15 + spells level that was attempted to be overchanneled. I know it is not very refined, but I just came up with it right now. :)

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads