• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Otherworld

Ion

Explorer
The first to walk the world were Demons. Powers of evil who sculpted empires, fought wars and ruled with a sulphur fist for times untold. Of the chaos came forth Eidos, the mother of humanity; In her womb grew the first two souls. From the birth of her children, humanity spread like a wild fire, struggling for it's own niche in the chaotic world. The souls of humanity tainted the Demons, snatched at their power and pushed them from the world. However, it was not only the Demons who were tainted; the essence of chaos echoes in the flesh and in the blood. The influence of Demons drove humanity from it's true form and it's mutations gave form to all the creatures that have walked the earth since. When the Demons left the world, Eidos was forced out as well, taking with her all the creatures of myth and legend that were too corrupt to remain.

The departure of Eidos and the Demons gave rise to a great duality. There is “humanity” as it is known today with it's cars, skyscrapers and cell phones; There is also the otherworld.

Dangerous times are upon us. The dark tendrils of chaos are reaching further back into our world than they used to. Demons long banished from earth are finding new ways to make their presence known. Humanity is not without hope; a few souls wake one morning knowing they are the Chosen of Eidos and that the fate of the world may rest in their hands.

This is a D20 Modern game starting at 1st level. (Stats are 28 point buy, and HD are max at 1st level)
I'm leaning away from all that FX stuff in the core book, but if / when it does eventually come up, I'd like to use Ryan Nock's Elements of Magic, Mythic Earth system.

Is anybody interested?

Last edited:

Ilium

First Post
Sure, I'm interested! I don't own Mythic Earth, but I do have Elements of Magic:Revised. Not sure how different they are.

So what kind of backgrounds and skills are you looking for? At 1st level the characters won't be good at much of anything, I suppose. :)

My first thought is a recent college grad on the hunt for his first "real job". Feel free to suggest a major.

Ferrix

Explorer
Interesting idea... although I have EoM:Revised and the 2nd book, why are you choosing to use it if I might ask?

Also... as 1st level, what are thinking for a setting to start? University campus? Urban vs. Rural? Business?

I'm thinking along similar lines of Ilium, a college grad of sorts, perhaps an ancient historian or a cryptologist.

Masquerade

First Post
Sounds very interesting.

I may try some sort of combat-oriented character since it isn't what I typically play in modern and because it doesn't sound like we have one yet. Beyond that I don't have any specific concept in mind, but I find your setting extremely intriguing.

Ion

Explorer
I think you guys are heading in the right direction. I've always sort of visualized just regular people who realise one day the world is a whole lot bigger and more messed up than they thought.

My gut feeling is to start in a big urban center. (Does anyone have a city of preference? or should we make one up?) However with all the cars and planes and what not, its not hard to have the setting move wherever the game takes us.

So far a university campus doesn't seem like a bad place to if that's what you guys are leaning towards. I'm flexible though.

As for EoM:ME, I choose it because it happened to be the version of the book that I own, and I think it's really cool but have never had much of a chance to play with it. I don't know how often it will come up though. I just throught I'd throw it out there.

Masquerade

First Post
A college campus does seem like a good starting point, if you had no other plans in mind. I will start working on a fitting character.

thoumaster

First Post
Sounds good to me if you want a fourth! I was actually thinking a d20 campaign would be nice. Anyway, I agree Goblin in rounding out the team. I shouldn't get ahead of myself. Let me know if there is room.

Ilium

First Post
Ion, I'd prefer a real city. Whichever one you'd like. Maps and so forth are certainly available online. That's one of the strengths of modern-era games in my opinion, so we might as well use it.

I'll go with a Blue Collar or Rural background, probably Smart as my first level, with skill concentrating on computers and other tech stuff (recent Computer Science graduate, maybe with a concentration in robotics). I think I'll work it into my background that the character placed highly during a telvized tournament on Battlebots a few years ago. That would be fun. Character write-up coming tonight or tomorrow.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads