• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

City Campaign Resources

sfgiants

First Post
Hey all, as I am starting a primarily city based campaign I am looking for resources. Anything you have used to help with a city campaign? I am looking for: books, pdfs, props, maps, encounter tables, anything that helped you run/create a city campaign :) Help!

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
0one Blueprints have some really great PDF maps of cities, bars, villages and so on. Definitely worth a look.

Back in the day, I swore by Flying Buffalo's CityBook 1 & 2, although I haven't personally seen the others. (Paizo periodically sells them.)

Stormborn

Explorer
There are, of course, the city supplements for various worlds: Ptolus, Freeport, City Stat of the IO, Waterdeep, Sharn, etc. However, even if you are not running a Freeport campaign, I found Denizens of Freeport to be a useful supplement. Most class books related to rogues, bards, and assassins also have city info in them to various degree. Looking for back issues of Dungeon with urban adventures in them can also be a good resource.

Infernal Teddy

Explorer
FFG's Cityworks, by Mike Mearls is my "Toolkit" of choice. Otherwise, may I call the "City of Greyhawk" boxed set to your attention? Another good book was "Blacksand!" from the Advanced Fighting Fantasy series

Crothian

First Post
Bluffside (MEG), Temple Quarter, and Thieves Quarter (Game mechanics through Green Ronin) has some great ideas to be placed in a city. I've also enjoyed Atlas' Seven Cities though more of the feel then specific places.

catsclaw227

First Post
I'll vouch for ALL the noted items above, also I believe that Magical Medieval Society has a section on City building.

If you want some inexpensive props and you are creative, you can try the Cityworks/CastleWorks paper models by WorldWorks.

AEG Toolbox has some stuff in it as well, but I mostly use third party cities and Cityworks by FFG.

TheAuldGrump

First Post
Some of the best have already been mentioned - Cityworks by FFG is an excellent resource.

Another good one, not quite as Out of Print as some claim on EBay is Cities by Midkemia Press. Short and sweet.

Magical Medieval Society: Western Europe does indeed have a section on building cities, and what is more that section is available free as a sample of the book. Be warned that Expeditious Retreat's 'free' samples are EVIL. You will end up wanting the whole book. (Or at least I did... :p ) The sample is useful in and of itself.

The Auld Grump

Remove ads