• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Best Marshal Build?

mattcolville

Adventurer
A friend of mine like's the Marhsal and is planning on playing one in my Ptolus game, but he's having trouble finding feats. He wants to maximize his ability to aid his friends in combat and leverage his leadership into success on the battlefield.

Are there any good PrCs for the Marshal?

Felon

First Post
Well, the tactical soldier from the Minis Handbook is a pretty good match if you want a non-magical combat support character.

Iku Rex

Explorer
Holy liberator (CD) will get him some nice abilities (like divine grace) and spellcasting ability from the paladin spell list.

Legendary leader (HoB) fits thematically.

A sorcerer/marshall could make an interesting war weaver (HoB), using spells as well as auras to aid his allies.

If he wants a divine caster (cleric/marshall), the warpriest (CD) is a fitting prestige class. The Sacred Healing (CD), Divine Ward (PHBII) or Sacred Purification (PHBII) divine feats look decent for a high-Cha character.

Rogue/marshall seems like a good base for nightsong enforcer or nightsong infiltrator (CAdv).

brehobit

Explorer
I'd argue the best Marshal only has a few levels of marshal. Frankly, Marshal is pretty weak as you get past 4th level. Throw in some bard and/or some dragon shaman and you've got a hugely powerful buffer. Silly powerful in fact.

Say Marshal 4, Bard 8. CHR 18+2 (levels) +6 (item)=26. On your first action sing and cast insperational boost. At that point you could be giving all allies:

+4 attack, +3 damage (+11 if flanking)
-- or --
+4 attack, +3 damage, +8 to overcome spell resistance.
And you can grant a move action 1/day to the whole party. Mightly handy in the "big fight".

If you are in Eberron the attack and damage goes up by +1 due to Eberron specific feat.

Crazy powerful. With Dragon shaman it gets only a bit more powerful, but a LOT more flexible.

Remove ads