What's In A GameDay?

HeapThaumaturgist

First Post
So, I have a question ... what IS an ENWorld Game Day?

I've long seen them advertised, but I'm nowhere near where any of them have been, but I'm curious as to what's involved.

Is there a webpage somewhere detailing the "style sheet" or programme? Is there a Master of Ceremonies that's in charge of putting these together? Where are they usually held? Who attends? How does one go about setting one up?

I'm sure there's probably a very obvious help page or something that details all of this, but I've never run across it.

--fje

der_kluge

Adventurer
What's In A GameDay?

GAMES!!

Start a thread. Maybe there are enough gamers in your area to start some sort of game day. You might be surprised how many folks will come out of the woodwork that might live near you.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
HeapThaumaturgist said:
So, I have a question ... what IS an ENWorld Game Day?

Think of it as a small, semi-private gaming convention. A bunch of people get together and play games. It can be small, with only one game and a few people, or large, with eight short games running in a day.

Is there a webpage somewhere detailing the "style sheet" or programme? Is there a Master of Ceremonies that's in charge of putting these together? Where are they usually held? Who attends? How does one go about setting one up?

They are not nearly so formalized, in general. These are not "Official EN World functions", so much as it they are people who post here and who live near each other getting together for a game or two.

Some poor sucker volunteers to organize the thing. I think most of then they occur in people's homes, but if you have another site near you that will do, more power to you.

The attendees are generally people who post to EN World. Frequently significant others or friends of posters are welcome as well, but I suppose that's up to the organizer.

Typically, to deal with the scheduling needs of modern adults, you need to think a couple months in advance - pick a site, and figure out how many games it wil hold. Post your intent to host the thing here on the boards, and ask for volunteers to run games.

Piratecat is very successful at holding gamedays, so hopefully he'll drop in with other pointers.

Darth K'Trava

First Post
Pick a place that's either free or cost very little. Hotels are out but check the local college/university's student center (especially if someone you know is a student there).

Pick a date. A Saturday several months in advance to give people enough time to plan to come either to game or to run games.

ADVERTISE. Especially here on Enworld. Let people know you're having one. Post flyers at that college to let students know.

HeapThaumaturgist

First Post
Thanks for all of the responses. :) I wasn't sure if it were some sort of semi-official ENWorld thing.

Looking at the map, there are far more ENWorlders in Alabama than I would have thought. Might be an idea to set one up.

--fje

It is an excellent way of meeting players within your area. I suspected but never knew how many EN Worlders live within one hour of me until I went to the Albany Gameday. As mentioned already, on the Albany Gameday thread there was a discussion on what it takes to set up, plan and run a gameday. Some gamedays are done at stores and others at homes. I am half tempted to do one in Vermont next summer at a State Park / Campground.

HeapThaumaturgist

First Post
I met the group I currently play with by way of our ENWorld story hours and my moving into the (general) area of Birmingham. There are several more ENWorlders in town that I've never met in person.

--fje

Remove ads