Battle strategy: Storm elementals

durza120

First Post
My party and I are going to have a massive battle soon, and i was wondering, is it a good idea to have hurl 2 greater storm elementals at the mass of the enemy. Using their thunder (which is something like 20 d6 with a range of 60ft in all directions) and lightingn (which is 10- 15 d6 range 120 feet in a line) they would attack the enemy and each oth4er with their attacks, but since thunder and lighting attacks actaully heal them, they would just become a self healing storm of destruction. Pretty good no?

Fieari

Explorer
1) How do you intend to obtain two storm elementals?

2) How do you intend to control them?

3) What happens if they don't act as you planned, and run off somewhere to slaughter innocents... or you?

kerbarian

Explorer
durza120 said:
My party and I are going to have a massive battle soon, and i was wondering, is it a good idea to have hurl 2 greater storm elementals at the mass of the enemy. Using their thunder (which is something like 20 d6 with a range of 60ft in all directions) and lightingn (which is 10- 15 d6 range 120 feet in a line) they would attack the enemy and each oth4er with their attacks, but since thunder and lighting attacks actaully heal them, they would just become a self healing storm of destruction. Pretty good no?
Storm elementals can only do the thunder & lightning thing once per minute. So they'd get off a decent first strike, but you could do better with a direct-attack 8th- or 9th-level spell (assuming you were planning on summoning the greater storm elementals). The main advantage the storm elementals would have is range. You could summon them and then send them off over a ridge or something (flying run speed of 400'/round). They could unleash their thunder and lightning, fly away for several rounds, come back and unleash it again, then fight for the rest of the spell duration. So it sounds pretty effective for softening up an army (and it could wipe out huge chunks of low-level troops), but it wouldn't quite be an engine of destruction. Of course, if you can summon greater storm elementals, you can probably summon an elemental monolith, and you'd likely be better off doing that.

Remove ads