• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Help! Dry Erase Marker stains on a battlemat!

Einan

First Post
Okay, so my battlemat has gotten a dry erase marker used on it. Is it terminal? Does anyone know how to get the stains out?

Thanks!
Einan

Cam Banks

Adventurer
Options include scribbling over the dry erase marks with wet erase pen, waiting for an hour, then wiping it off, or perhaps brake cleaner fluid (not brake fluid, though!).

Cheers,
Cam

HeapThaumaturgist

First Post
Mr. Clean Magic Eraser to the rescue!

It'll take hard work and elbow grease and probably most of an eraser ... but they're like fifty cents, so, worth it.

I was careful around the grid lines when I erased my stain, but I'm honestly not sure if the eraser would pick it up.

Acetone will also remove it, but also will remove the tan dye used to dye the mat and the grid lines ... so you'll go, if careful, from a black line to an off-white line.

The mat at our game house still has a big compass rose on it from where the GM picked up one of my tact-tile dry erase markers and started to do a map before I could yell out: "Nooooooooooooooooooo!". Nobody has gotten around to spending a half hour with a magic eraser.

--fje

Thurbane

First Post
Whiteboard cleaner fluid. ;)

Failing that, a little methylated spirits diluted in warm water.

The above suggestions come from working for 7 years in office supplies, and using a battlemat for about 15+ years. :lol:

JustKim

First Post
I have never had to use anything more complicated than another marker. There are chemicals in felt tips that prevent the ink from drying on its own. When you mark with these chemically treated inks on other marker ink, it returns it to a fluid state where it can be wiped off. The only side effect is that the felt tip absorbs some of the ink, so you'll ruin the marker.

Thurbane

First Post
Hang on, maybe I misunderstood the original question: is the battlemat laminated or covered in plastic? If it isn't please disregard my comments above. Ooops. :heh:

LightPhoenix

First Post
I'm going to second some sort of alcohol pad, like rubbing alcohol. Used it all the time at the hospital to get out permanent marker. It wasn't 100% effective - there'd usually be some faint lines left over. It is, besides the erasable marker method, the most gentle as well.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads