Movement, falling damage, Dim Door

Brace Cormaeril

First Post
So I jump off Sigil, City of Doors... no bad example. I jump off a extremely tall tower, manage not to hit any buttressing of gratiutous sculpture on the way down, and build up Terminal Velocity, as detailed in that ddungeon magazine with the cloud giant cloud casle. I think fall damage maxes at 20d6, but correct me...

Anyhow, I cast dimension door after I've fallen this distance, aiming my dimension door along a plane that my exit point leads me aligned with an opponent.

Who I crash into?

Doing damage?

If I have my sword pointed his direction?

If I have an additinal attack role after dimension door?

Sorry if this has been discussed.

Infiniti2000

First Post
Brace Cormaeril said:
So I jump off Sigil, City of Doors... no bad example. I jump off a extremely tall tower, manage not to hit any buttressing of gratiutous sculpture on the way down, and build up Terminal Velocity, as detailed in that ddungeon magazine with the cloud giant cloud casle. I think fall damage maxes at 20d6, but correct me...
That's correct: "The basic rule is simple: 1d6 points of damage per 10 feet fallen, to a maximum of 20d6."

Brace Cormaeril said:
Anyhow, I cast dimension door after I've fallen this distance, aiming my dimension door along a plane that my exit point leads me aligned with an opponent.
If you've fallen that distance, the fall is over . . .? Let's assume that you mean after you've fallen far enough to reach Terminal Velocity but have not yet reached the ground. Fwiw, I'd require a concentration check DC=20+SL to complete the spell (extraordinarily violent motion).

Brace Cormaeril said:
Who I crash into?
Presuming that your alignment is above the opponent, you will fall the distance from the d-door to your opponent. Whether you hit him or not is a totally different question.

Brace Cormaeril said:
Doing damage?
If you hit the opponent, you deal damage per the falling objects chart (which I think is unreasonable, but that's not part of your question). Also, you'll take falling damage. I believe the FAQ says you maintain your Terminal Velocity, but I don't agree.

Brace Cormaeril said:
If I have my sword pointed his direction?
Immaterial. You are not attacking with your sword, particularly after casting d-door.

Brace Cormaeril said:
If I have an additinal attack role after dimension door?
You have none: "After using this spell, you can’t take any other actions until your next turn."

Brace Cormaeril

First Post
Presuming that your alignment is above the opponent, you will fall the distance from the d-door to your opponent. Whether you hit him or not is a totally different question.

Can I aim the alignment of the "other" end of my dimension door to be perpendicular to the "other end of the spell", thereby slamming into, as opposed to falling upon, my opponent?

How would one determine a hit?

Old Drew Id

First Post
Long story short, I might allow this to work just once, just for thinking creatively, but not more than once in a campaign. Here's why:

First, you would need to fall long enough to get an action. To fall for at least six seconds would take somewhere around a 700 ft. drop (estimated).

Second, you would need to cast a spell in free-fall, which would require a Concentration check.

Third, you would need to place the exit door precisely at a fixed point, while in freefall at speeds of 200 mph. That would require an attack roll with a penalty, probably something like hitting AC 5 with a -15 penalty. I think there are rules in d20 modern for traveling at high speeds and the effect on AC, but that sounds about right.

Fourth, that attack roll would determine only that you placed the door correctly to cause a likely impact. This would cause you to come barreling through your foe's square at high speed.

Fifth, use the rules from the book whenever possible. Here, after emerging from the door, you are effectively doing an Overrun, pointed straight down. You should follow the Overrun rules at this point, which allow your opponent to just step out of the way. If for some reason your opponent can not get out of the way or chooses not to, then you would make opposed rolls to see if he gets knocked prone.

Then you take the 20d6 falling damage and go prone yourself.

Assuming your opponent did not avoid you, he would take the same damage that you took, minus any hardness or damage reduction.

Fifth, there is no facing in d20, so your sword is not specifically pointed towards the enemy in a freefall. No extra damage from your sword.

Finally, the spell specifically states "After using this spell, you can't take any other actions until your next turn." So you would not be able to make an extra attack roll after exiting the door.

Old Drew Id

First Post
Brace Cormaeril said:
Can I aim the alignment of the "other" end of my dimension door to be perpendicular to the "other end of the spell", thereby slamming into, as opposed to falling upon, my opponent?

The spell does not say that you can do this, so I would say no.

Infiniti2000

First Post
Brace Cormaeril said:
Only if you allow that the physics of falling are retaining while d-dooring/teleporting/etc. I don't. The rules are silent on the issue, but I think the FAQ does.

Brace Cormaeril said:
One of two methods. Either use an attack roll or a reflex save (like a trap). I don't think the rules support either, quite honestly. It can't be an attack roll because the spell doesn't allow for it. If you do allow it, however, you have to account for non-proficiency penalties, ranged penalties, circumstance penalties, and maximum increments (it is undoubtedly a ranged attack). The reflex save DC is completely arbitrary.

The first question to answer is how D-Door affects kinetic energy.. do you maintain the same speed and direction upon exiting, or can it be altered?

The spell does not mention anything about changing the direction of travel. I would rule that the doors must be parallel to each other.

Falling. Per a Sage answer, you fall 500' the first round and 1,000 or so feet each additional round. In order to pull off your stunt you would need to be at least 500 ' above the ground {assuming your DM handles falling movement *after* your action}

Casting while falling.. definately a Concentration check!

Targetting.. I would treat this as the same ruling as a rock falling from a ceiling. You declare a square and roll an attack roll in order to be above the correct square, then the target would get a REF save to avoid you... I would have to check the books to figure out the DC's for both these, but targetting would be moderately difficult and the REF save wouldn't be too hard....

Its not a tactic I would highly suggest as you are assured to be damaged while the target has a high probablity of simply stepping to the side.... :)

Dross

Explorer
Primitive Screwhead said:
Its not a tactic I would highly suggest as you are assured to be damaged while the target has a high probablity of simply stepping to the side.... :)

Ah, the Roadrunner v Wile E Coyote gambit.

And we know how they ended. :lol:

Dracorat

First Post
Infiniti2000 said:
If you've fallen that distance, the fall is over . . .? Let's assume that you mean after you've fallen far enough to reach Terminal Velocity but have not yet reached the ground. Fwiw, I'd require a concentration check DC=20+SL to complete the spell (extraordinarily violent motion).

DimDoor has only a verbal component, FWIW

HeapThaumaturgist

First Post
Why not just ... y'know ... hit him ... with the sword?

Or Disintegrate?

I'd do both, really. People hate that. When you hit them with a sword and then cast Disintegrate on them.

--fje

Remove ads