[True20] World's Largest Dungeon

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
So. . . I've lost my mind.

I posted about this elsewhere, but I figured that having a thread dedicated to the campaign here might be useful for the purposes of feedback (after all, ENWorld is the undisputed home of all things d20 online).

I'm setting up my forthcoming World's Largest Dungeon campaign on the Hidden Coast (presented in the free WotC adventure module, The Secret of the Windswept Wall) with a few changes in geography, as follow:

• The Hidden Coast now forms the Western edge of a land mass.
  • Sharn (The City of Towers) replaces the village of Poisson on the map.
  • Poisson replaces the oddly displaced Drunk Duck Inn on the map.
  • A second isle (and lighthouse) was added to the map in order to ward Poisson.
  • Beacon Tor was added to the map, Northwest of Holden's Wood.

I plan on using the free A Dark and Stormy Knight adventure from WotC to kick things off, with the ruined tower in that module representing Beacon Tor (see above). Rather than end that adventure with the battle versus the zombie hobgoblin (as fun as that sounds), I'll be replacing the crypt with encounter Z1 from the World's Largest Dungeon.

For the purposes of campaign setup, I've altered the ecology of the Hidden Coast, makign it a largeyly moster-free region of a new continent recently settled by humans from the Old World (to the West). The native elves, whose collective racial memory reaches far into the past, cannot recall there every being a surplus of monsters on the mainland.

[Note: The term "monsters", as used here, does not include sentient goblinoid races -- though rare, these races do exist in small pockets on the Hidden Coast.]

I've also made some changed to the WLD -- most notably, it isn't the dethtrap gauntlet that AEG designed it to be. PCs can leave the same way that they came in, but so can the dungeon's other denizens once the PCs open the doors (they stay open). Here's the skinny. . .

Untold aeons ago, the gods gathered all of the monsters and many humanoid criminals on this continent and crammed them into the WLD. Over the years, the dungeon was forgotten. So far, so good. Unfortunately, poor maintenance has its pitfalls. . . over the years, small numbers of monsters have escaped the dungeon and made their way back into the world.

Now, when the PCs open the front doors to the WLD, they effectively open the floodgates, freeing the dungeon's denizens to re-enter the world at will (if they discover that the doors have been opened, of course). They have essentially taken what was a rather peaceful world by D&D standards, and turned it into your typical D&D setting (i.e., a world crawling with monsters).

Now, the PCs can either try to re-cork the proverbial bottle, or they can roll with it and take the dungeon for everything that it's worth. Obviously, I'm hoping for the latter. That said, a poll that I ran on ENWorld indicated that most WLD campaigns never get finished due to the "roach trap" factor (i.e., PCs being trapped in the dungeon until they play through the whole thing). This being the case. . .

I set up a series of above ground adventures that the PCs can pursue when and/or if they feel they need a break from the dungeon. Most of these adventures have been culled from the free WotC adventure archive. although I'm also using some 3.0 D&D material, as well (e.g., Thieves in the Forest, The Mortality of Green, etc). Point is, I'm making diversions from the dungeon an option, just in case.

Finally, the other thing that seemed to kill WLD campaigns before they bloomed was the repetitious nature of encounters in Regions A and B of the dungeon. To shake things up a bit here, I've replaced some of the numerous Darkmantle and Rat Swarm encounters with more goblinoid encounters, which allows me to introduce the main plots of both regions more quickly.

Here's hoping that all of this works as planned. We meet for our first session tonight, but I think that we'll just be making characters and going over the finer points of the setting (currency, customs, etc), as well as the basic True20 rules (I printed out copies of the Quick Start rules for all of the players yesterday).

I'll post updates when time permits.

[P.S. If interested, you can download the Player's Campaign Primer that I've put together for my actual play group by clicking here.]

[P.P.S. I'm also toying with the idea of introducing Diablo II-like "way points" in the dungeon, although I'm not entirely commited to this idea just yet. We'll see what my players think.]

Masada

First Post
Sounds pretty tidy to me... I don't know the WLD (only read the sales stuff), but it sounds nice. I was in a game once where a similar idea (a dungeon sealed for eons) that once opened unleased a new kind of undead on the world. Oh the poor players... hehe.

twilko

First Post
WLD start up.

Looks good.

Have you had a look at region E? Most groups seem to have done that one so give some thought how that ties in with your background.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Well, the bad news is that only one player showed up last night (although, in fairness. I saw this coming because of the date on which we decided to meet). The good news is that this was only a meet and greet, not the first night of actual play.

We ended up creating one character for the Hidden Coast (WLD) campaign -- a rough and tumble Dwarven warrior built to kick ass and take names (in that order). Both the player of the character in question and myself were impressed with how quickly this was accomplished and with the flexibility that the True20 rules provide where realizing character concept is concerned.

[Note: This foray into character creation marked the first real experience with True20 that either of us have had on the tabletop.]

Over the summer I ran a C&C campaign and, while character creation in that system is simple, it's not terribly dynamic (i.e., mechanically, all first level characters of a given class in C&C are 100% identical). While I'll somewhat miss the "pick up and play" aspect of C&C that its largely static character creation makes possible, I think that the dynamic character creation of True20 will be worth the sacrifice.

I'm not a huge fan of how most d20 System games handle feats, but True20 really has me fired up and serves as a great example of how I wish more publishers handled feats (i.e., in moderation). There are enough feats here to build hundreds of different character concepts, but not so many that the game suffers from feat glut.

I myself was able to whip up a reasonable feat-based facsimile of Eberron's "Warforged" in about three minutes*. It's not 100% faithful to the source material, but it wasn't intended to be -- that said, if I have no doubt that I could build a faithful reproduction of the race in question using only the rules in the True20 core book.

Also, while I've had previous experience with mechanics that offer players authorial control, I don't believe that the player of the Dwarven warrior had (although I could be wrong about this) based on his enthusiasm about the rules for Conviction. Myself, I've been sold on such mechanics for a while, and missed them over the summer (C&C includes no such mechanics).

Overall, despite not having actually played last night, we had a lot of fun (enthusiasm must be infectious). One of our other players will be gone until after Thanksgiving, so next week it looks like it'll just be three of us at the FLGs (the absent player will be hostng upon his return). I'll be sure to continue the "play by play" next week.

[*See the Warforged racial background that I included in the Player's Campaign Primer that I linked to in the original post.]

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
twilko said:
Looks good.

Thanks!

Have you had a look at region E? Most groups seem to have done that one so give some thought how that ties in with your background.

Actually, I haven't looked that far ahead yet, but I'll be sure to read up on it this evening per your recommendation.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Masada said:
Sounds pretty tidy to me... I don't know the WLD (only read the sales stuff), but it sounds nice.

Thanks!

I was in a game once where a similar idea (a dungeon sealed for eons) that once opened unleased a new kind of undead on the world. Oh the poor players... hehe.

Yeah, I went with this hook because it has the potential to impact the setting outside of the dungeon, as well.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
snikle said:
When and where?;)

Right now we're meeting at Compleat Games and Hobbies (near Tejon and Boulder, just North of Poor Richard's on the West side of Tejon) on Tuesday nights at 5:00 PM-ish (I say "ish" because everybody typically shows up between 5:00 and 5:30). We plan to meet at Compleat until the aforementioned absent player returns from a hoiliday visit after Thanksgiving, at which time we'll begin meeting at his house (NE section of town).

So... ah... the next gathering is this coming Tuesday at 5-ish, in the back of Compleat (the in-store gaming area).

Remove ads