Item to increase UMD?

mattmaz

First Post
Is there any precedent items for creating a skill boosting item for Use Magic Device? Should it still simply follow the bonus squared times 100 gp rule?

DarkJester

First Post
It could follow those guidelines. I don't remember any WOTC items granting a bonus to UMD off the top of my head, but that doesn't mean they don't exist.

UMD can be a pretty powerful skill, so I'd be wary about introducing items that grant a significant bonus to it in my games. I find the default pricing for a skill bonus to be a little on the low side myself. If you are a player, ask your DM what he thinks is reasonable. If you are the DM, I'd probably double the standard skill bonus cost.

There are, however, items which boost all Cha-based checks, like, for instace:

SRD said:
Circlet of Persuasion: This silver headband grants a +3 competence bonus on the wearer’s Charisma-based checks.
Faint transmutation; CL 5th; Craft Wondrous Item, eagle’s splendor; Price 4,500 gp.

pawsplay

Hero
Indeed, since Cha boosting items aren't very expensive, it doens't seem like UMD boosting items should be extremely expensive, either.

Li Shenron

Legend
Can Intelligent magic items have skill ranks and use skills? (mental skills at least...)

It may be nice to have an intelligent item that helps his wielder to use itself :D

brehobit

Explorer
Li Shenron said:
Can Intelligent magic items have skill ranks and use skills? (mental skills at least...)

It may be nice to have an intelligent item that helps his wielder to use itself :D
Realizing you were joking, one of the big advantages of an intelligent magic item is that it can activate its own abilities.
SRD said:
Unlike most magic items, intelligent items can activate their own powers without waiting for a command word from their owner. Intelligent items act during their owner’s turn in the initiative order.

This is really _hugely_ powerful. A ring of spell storing can cast its own spells. That's more than a bit handy. It's better than a quickened spell as it doesn't even use a swift action. And some of the item powers (bless, cure moderate) are very cheap indeed.

Of course, the DM gets to mess with you ;)

Mark

Infiniti2000

First Post
Li Shenron said:
At first glance, it seems like it.

"Intelligent items can actually be considered creatures because they have Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma scores. Treat them as constructs."

And, from construct Features:

"Skill points equal to (2 + Int modifier, minimum 1) per Hit Die, with quadruple skill points for the first Hit Die, if the construct has an Intelligence score."

But then when you try to calculate the number of ranks, you have no definition of Hit Die for an intelligent magic item. It's treated like a construct, but without hit dice.

Remove ads