• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Creating an Active Skill Focus

Stalker0

Legend
I think +3 to a skill is okay mechanically, but it certainly isn't sexy. Its just a bonus you slap on, and unlike feats like weapon focus, doesn't really lead into anything. So how's this to spice up the feat a bit.

Skill Focus:

You choose one skill and gain +3 to the skill. In addition, once per day per 4 ranks in the skill (minimum 1) you can choose to take 10 in the skill when you normally wouldn't be able to.

Machiavelli

First Post
Now THAT is a feat I may consider. In fact, it would get consideration even if it were a +1 or +2 bonus. For, say, a leap-attacking build, I'd take "Skill Focus: Jump", even though I could invest that feat slot in something like "Power Critical" instead.

I could see it being used by any character that relies on a certain skill to support their main "schtick" and does not have the skill points to do much more than dump those points into that skill.

Arkhandus

First Post
Yeah, I'd probably reduce the skill bonus to +2 since it's got the added security of being able to rely on the skill at times when you need it most. But I could be wrong, it might be fine at +3 with that benefit.... Hrm.

trav_laney

First Post
Stalker0 said:
You choose one skill and gain +3 to the skill. In addition, once per day per 4 ranks in the skill (minimum 1) you can choose to take 10 in the skill when you normally wouldn't be able to.
I agree, this would finally make Skill Focus worth considering.

Being able to take 10 on a roll outweighs any competence bonus, IMO, and you would have to be somewhat skilled in something before you could attempt it while distracted. So I'd drop the bonus altogether, and require 5 ranks in a particular skill to qualify for the feat. But I'm a bit of a jerk. ;)

Stalker0

Legend
Arkhandus said:
Yeah, I'd probably reduce the skill bonus to +2 since it's got the added security of being able to rely on the skill at times when you need it most. But I could be wrong, it might be fine at +3 with that benefit.... Hrm.

I can't really see it as overpowered compared to other feats that are out there. As WOTC has started to realize with its complete books and PHB II, they can push the bar on feats a bit more than they did with the old books.

Skill Focus is not a fighter feat, and it often tends to be taken by skillfull classes like rogues or bards. They have a precious few feats slots to work with, so I think even a +3 with take 10 powers is something they will have to weigh against other feats, I certainly don't think its an automatic pick.

Skill Focus does need some spicing up.. a recent thread here went a slightly different way.
{Edit.. that thread apparently got lost :( }

The end result that ended up in my HR folder is as follows:

Skill Focus provides:
+ 3 to the chosen skill
The chosen skill becomes a class skill for the character
At 7th rank, and every 3rd rank after, the bonus increases by +1

An alt "This skill and that skill" feat is changes similarly to provide:
+ 2 to each of the related skills
At 8th rank, and every 5th rank after, the bonus increases by +1

In this manner the feats mean something more as the character continues to invest in the skill. Of course some skills have little reason to take beyond 5 ranks, such as Animal Handling.. but thats not something these HR's even think about fixing :)

Stalker0

Legend
Primitive Screwhead said:
Skill Focus does need some spicing up.. a recent thread here went a slightly different way.
{Edit.. that thread apparently got lost :( }

The end result that ended up in my HR folder is as follows:

Skill Focus provides:
+ 3 to the chosen skill
The chosen skill becomes a class skill for the character
At 7th rank, and every 3rd rank after, the bonus increases by +1

I saw that HR, and I thought it was pretty good. The reason I went this route is it makes the feat more "active" whiich makes it more interesting.

Soel

First Post
I like this version. I was considering just upping it to +3 to check and also letting the skill focused on have 1 higher rank allowance than normal.

erf_beto

First Post
I don't know if this is what you're looking for, or if it's overpowered, but have you considered doing something like Action Points (i.e. adding 1d6 to a check)?
Say, a Skill focus grants a +3 bonus, and allows you to add 1d6 to a check once a day (and if you get the feat multiple times you can do it more often).
That sure screams 'action' to me :p

Stalker0

Legend
erf_beto said:
I don't know if this is what you're looking for, or if it's overpowered, but have you considered doing something like Action Points (i.e. adding 1d6 to a check)?
Say, a Skill focus grants a +3 bonus, and allows you to add 1d6 to a check once a day (and if you get the feat multiple times you can do it more often).
That sure screams 'action' to me :p

That's certainly one way to go. I personally like a consistent power myself, but others might prefer the +1d6, its just a matter of taste:)

Remove ads