Have you given your kids fantasy names?

Are you so geeky that you gave your kids fantasy or mythic names? My daughter's middle name is Brynhild and my son will have Beowulf as his middle name. One of my players named his first son Alexander and the second son Arthur. Another player named his daughter Raven. Not quite the same, but an ex-GF legally changed her name to Aeryn.

Anyone else?

Nyaricus

First Post
On a technicality, some of those would be considered legendary names ;):)

And I'm too young to have kids (well, to think about having kids, but same difference), so nope: haven't named anyone recently :p

cheers,
--N

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I don't have kids myself.

I do know of one pair of brothers named Boromir and Faramir - from long before the movies came out.

Xyanthon

First Post
I have a friend who named her daughter Kitiara. I know this really isn't fantasy (as far as I'm aware anyway) but my son's name is Bear.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
My friend in California named her son Tanis (yes, that spelling). I pointed out that this is, in real life a female name. . . to no avail. Specifically, she didn't believe me based on the rationale that a fantasy author would never knowingly give their male protagonist a female name :confused:

A couple of years after the fact, she confided that she wished she would have done some research prior to choosing the name in question (presumably because she didn't want her son to endure what my male friend Tiffany had to endure in his youth). And, yeah, I actually know a trucker named "Tif" (swear to God).

And, in High School, I knew a girl named Larry. And her two sisters. . . Georgie and Scotti.

[Note: There is an unrelated male name "Tannis", though it is not in common use.]

Last edited:

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Not a fantasy name, but probably genre ... my wife won't let me give a kid the middle name of "Danger." This unreasonable stance of hers has us at an impasse! :]

HeapThaumaturgist

First Post
My cousin named his son Dhalgere, after a character in a story he wrote in high school.

Swear to God.

We named our daughter Zoe (with the dots over the "e") and everybody assumes we named her Zoey after the butt-kickin' chick on Firefly. Don't ask me why.

Worst I got was, if she were a boy, she were going to be named Erasmus.

--fje

Tyler Do'Urden

Soap Maker
Whizbang Dustyboots said:
Not a fantasy name, but probably genre ... my wife won't let me give a kid the middle name of "Danger." This unreasonable stance of hers has us at an impasse! :]

My parents had an acquaintance who named his son, no joke, "Castle Danger".

I also grew up across from a fellow (my same age named) with the first name Loch... last name, Ness.

Remove ads