• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Level Adjustment as a Point Buy Deduction

Accepting the idea that a +2 bonus to an ability score is worth +1 LA, can one assume that the reverse is true? For example:

LA = PB
+1 = -2
+2 = -4
+3 = -6
+4 = -10
+5 = -16

Assuming that monster hit die are still factored in to determine ECL, is there any problem going this route? The obvious advantage, it seems to me, is that this method would be more "self correcting" at higher levels than the LA mechanic is. Any thoughts?

Asmor

First Post
I think it's an intriguing idea, but your base assumption is probably not a great one. A +1 modifier really doesn't seem very equivelent at all to a level adjustment.

Assuming a standard 25-point buy, I'd probably give the following requirements:

+1 LA: 7 points (5 seems too low, 10 seems too high, so I think 7 is a nice medium)
+2 LA: 20 points (maybe 15... but I'd be worried about a +2 LA with no consequences)
+3 LA: Right out!

Cheiromancer

Adventurer
I've found that giving a +1 LA race a 25 point buy in a 32 point buy campaign works really well (Aasimar Paladin). So I'd agree with Asmor's assessment that +1 LA is worth about 7 points.

I wonder if 7 points per LA would work. I.e. +2 LA = 14 points? 18 point buy in a 32 point buy campaign. Dunno.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
High point buy benefits classes which need a lot of "decent" (~14) ability scores, such as Paladin and Monk. Low point buy "benefits" (more like "penalizes less") classes which can function on just a few ability scores, such as Rogue, Wizard and Cleric, and of course Druid who can function with only two positive ability scores after level 5.

So: I'd happily play a 15 point buy PC with the Shadow template (LA +2), probably a Scout 1 / Wizard 4 / Unseen Seer 10, with a decent Int, positive Dex and Con, and not much else.

Alternately, a Phrenic Druid could be fun. 6 points to Con, 9 to Wisdom, and ... what else is there? ;)

Phrenic Unseen Seer would be fun, too.

On the melee side, I could see great fun with a 15-point buy Barbarian with the Mineral Warrior and Feral templates.

And hell, I'd play a ZERO point buy Pixie Rogue! Ooo, that would be fun. :)

Cheers, -- N

Nifft said:
And hell, I'd play a ZERO point buy Pixie Rogue! Ooo, that would be fun. :)

In that context, the negative -56 for a +4 LA seems pretty reasonable. :lol:

So what I have now is -

Base 25 Game
+0 LA = 25 points
+1 LA = 18 points
+2 LA = 11 points

Base 28 Game
+0 LA = 28 points
+1 LA = 21 points
+2 LA = 14 points
+3 LA = 0 points

Base 32 Game
+0 LA = 32 points
+1 LA = 25 points
+2 LA = 18 points
+3 LA = 4 points

Does that seem workable?

Rhun

First Post
The only problem I see with this is: LAs are not necessarily balanced. For example, there are weak LA +1 races/templates, and there are strong LA +1 races/templates. With that said, it may be better to make a ruling based upon what the player wants to play, as opposed to the LA of what he wants to play.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Rhun said:
there are weak LA +1 races/templates, and there are strong LA +1 races/templates.

Yeah, but same goes for LA 0 -- there are half-elves, and there are dwarves. ;)

Now, about that ZERO point-buy Nixie Sorcerer... :D

(I'm not sure anything can adequately balance the negation of LA in the presence of the Half-Munchkin template.)

Cheers, -- N

Rhun

First Post
Nifft said:
Yeah, but same goes for LA 0 -- there are half-elves, and there are dwarves. ;)

Now, about that ZERO point-buy Nixie Sorcerer... :D

(I'm not sure anything can adequately balance the negation of LA in the presence of the Half-Munchkin template.)

You are absolutely right. Half-elves are close to a -1 LA (If there was such a thing), and many people feel the dwarf should be +1 LA. I was just trying to point out that in the scope of a single level adjustment, there is a lot of variation on power level.

airwalkrr

Adventurer
A standard array is 13, 12, 11, 10, 9, 8, worth 15 pts. An elite array (worth a +1 CR) is 15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8, worth 25 pts. If, for this small scale, we presume +1 CR to be equivalent to +1 LA (not a huge stretch, particularly for creatures with a low LA), then 10 pts in a point buy is roughly equal to a +1 LA.

A nice and neat way of doing it would be to give LA +0 characters 32 points, LA +1 28 pts, LA +2 22 pts, and LA +3 15 pts, then just limit the PCs to LA +3.

The acid test would be to see if it is always worth it to go for the LA. In the case of the aasimar, if you are playing a paladin, it could be, particularly if you plan on a base Charisma or Wisdom score of 14 or higher. If you plan on a base Charisma of 16 with no other score higher than 14, then you have a net gain of +2 points on your point buy (i.e. it costs 6 points to bring a 16 to 18). But the other benefits are marginal: acid, cold, and electricity resistance and daylight once/day. Many players would rather have a bonus feat and bonus skill points as a human.

The question is whether or not you think this will encourage a lot of aasimar paladins (and similar builds). If it means that all paladin players will start prefering aasimars, then it is probably not balanced. I prefer to limit such characters in my campaigns and try to find ways to encourage my players to play core races. Of course, if you run a froo froo world like FR, it might not be as much of a problem to see the sons and daughters of angels, demons, and elementals frollicking about gaily in the meadows. ;)

Remove ads