The characters of The New Adventures of Thundina Seong

Ealli

First Post
The characters, mostly in their own words, who are participating in an Expedition to Castle Ravenloft with Thundina Seong.

Thundina Seong
Rogue 3 / Fighter 2 / Thief Acrobat 1 [Because of the mix of classes, I just call her an Adventurer.]
Notable skills: Balance, Bluff, Climb, Craft (armorworking), Disable Device/Open Lock, Jump, Search, Tumble
Notable feats: Combat Reflexes, Short Haft, Improved Trip

Thundina is the daughter of Thundarr the Barbarian and Ariel. After growing fabulously wealthy, Thundarr retired from adventuring and founded a training hall for other would be fighters and adventurers. Even though Ariel expressely forbid her daughter (and only child) to train to be an adventurer, Thundina observed the sessions and snuck out to learn more from some of her father’s protigees. Always rebellious, she much preferred playing with swords to playing with needles. (Although, she does think she could use a needle as a weapon in an emergency.) Her mother’s nagging was driving a wedge into the family and finally Thundina ran away at age 16. Thundina loves her family, but she felt the compelling need to find her own fame, fortune, and glory, and prince in distress.

Fortune did not come as easily as it always seemed to in her father’s tales. She had some successes and some glories in her wanderings, but it wasn’t consistent and she wasn’t getting rich. In Thronehold, she assisted in the smithy for a time, not intending to stay long. The smithy was adjoined to an artificer’s shop called Tharadan’s, but run by one Krel Hauldak. What was supposed to be just a stop to bang a few dents out of the armor, became a two-year internship. She was taken on as extra help by Coalstoker the smith, who was in charge of the weapon and armor crafting at Tharadan’s shop. Krel did not object. He was the overall proprietor, but didn’t oversee Coalstoker very much. Although Krel had become like a second father to Thundina, all such relations must eventually end. The nearby Lightbringers provided fairly regular business to the smithy. One remarkably large order was for a pair of mithral full plate suits, which came to Thundina. During the fitting sessions, Tourg spilled the secret of a dangerous mission full of promises of glory and gold. Thundina offered a deal, 40% off if they’d take her with them, or she’d refuse to hand over the finished product.

Thundina is 5’3”, nineteen years old, and not willing to disclose her weight. Her hair is permanently mussed and streaked with green, purple, and light orange cut short so as not to cover her green eyes. Well muscled now from the some time with the forge, she is still nimble and witty from her previous adventuring years. She used to have an adventurer’s tan, but that has faded into a forge tan. She is impatient and eager to set off on the adventure, she believes that is what she was born to do. She can handle tactics within a battle, but don’t expect her to sit around trying to come up with a strategy beforehand. While fortune and fame are primary motivating factors for her, family and friends are more important.

Ealli

First Post
Barbar

Barbar is a strikingly tall hobgoblin towering at a massive 7 feet tall with 200 pounds of flesh between the top of his furry head to the bottom of his bare soles. Hailing from Dargun he serves the Lightspeakers with great loyalty and takes a great deal of pleasure in dispatching undead foes. However he shares little about his life in Dargun because he was exiled, for reasons he is hesitant to share, from his goblinoid home. He does speak of his family quite frequently however. His mother Haru and his father Barish have twelve children including their oldest Barbar. His parents were not wealthy, they worked in the markets as rather unsuccessful shopkeeps. Barbar would tell you that they were unsuccessful because the merchant guild fixed the prices and kept them low so independent shop keeps couldn't compete. However the truth is that despite being goblins his parents were caring and most of their profits went to helping those less fortunate. This reputation quickly became a sign of weakness in the streets of the Bloody Market and thieves and often made their shop a target. Most often posing as beggars, taking what they could as such and skimping off a little more when Barbar's parents weren't looking.

In order to help feed his large family Barbar decided to remove one mouth from the table and became a monk. He worships the Sovereign host and most specifically Dol Arrah, God of Honor and Sacrifice. His most prized possession is a painting (given to him by his parents before he left Dargun) across a canvas of scalp skin (he insists it's not human but from a zombie). The painting depicts Dol Ararh as a red dragon with a hobgoblin perched on her back along for a ride.

While serving Dol Ararh Barbar and other monks came into the service of Lhesh Haruuc who would eventually become the ruler of Darguun, the goblinoid nation. Barbar shares nothing other then this in his matters of fighting in the last war and has only hinted that his service could have something to do with his exile. When asked why he was exiled, if he answers at all, he'll most often say that he left on his own accord but that he was asked not to return.

Having no home he came to the city of Thronehold since he figured that if he was not to live in Darguun he would rather live in no nation. While their he came in the service of the Lighspeakers and that has been the life he has known ever since. Those that have spent time with him know that he keeps a small book that he tallies the non-lifes of undead he has dispatched from the world.

Ealli

First Post
Tourg

This is the story of Tourg d'Deneith.

----------------
Tourg d'Deneith, lvl 6 Lightbringer Cleric
Dragonmarked (Mark of the Sentinel)
Notable skills: Knowledge (religion), Sense Motive, Concentration
Follower of The Sovereign Host (domains: Weather, Mind)
Dislikes: undead, failing
-----------------

Tourg d'Deneith was born the 10th of Eyre in 965 YK to the House Deneith. Tourg spent his childhood in Karrlakton, Karrnath learning about the world and its ways, including special training in harnassing the power of his Dragonmark. Upon reaching maturity, he enlisted in the ranks of the Defender's Guild, hoping to use his abilities to protect others.

During his tenure with the Defender's Guild Tourg developed his skills in combat, becoming increasingly effective in battle. One of his regular patrons, Hrain, a priestess of The Church of the Sovereign Host of Gatherhold noticed what she termed his "divine skill" and began hiring him on for help. During a routine cleansing of The Boneyard of the Talenta Plains Hrain was killed. Tourg held himself personally responsible for her death, and in an act of both penance and revenge he gave his fealty to the Church.

Tourg began a new life at the Church, delving deep into the mysteries of the Divine and also of his Dragonmark. Training with the Church's Protectorate, he became skilled in the use of divine magic as an amplifier of his other combat skills and also an aid to others. Tourg feels that, if he is able to protect others and slay undead, he will be able to increase Hrain's status in the afterlife.

Upon noticing his drive to crusade against the Undead of the world, the Church's elders referred him to the Gatherhold chapter of the Lightbringer's Guild. Tourg immediately joined their ranks, assimilating knowledge on the destruction of undead and their powers over mankind, fueling the fires of his revenge. It has been five years since then, and Tourg has crusaded long against the forces of darkness in Talenta Plains and Karrnath. Along his travels he has made many friends and built a strong camaraderie with his fellow travelers, Barbar and Ovine of the Lightbringers. One of his favorite rest stops is the island city of Thronehold, where he is in contact with a Master Artificer whom has always been keen to hear tales of Tourg's adventures.

It is while staying in Thronehold that Tourg receives word of a mission gone awry, and sensing the dangers ahead, he gathers up his friends and extends an offer to the Artificer. His young apprentice extorts her way into the party, and for the first time Tourg notices her untamable spirit reminds him of another woman he knew in another life...

Ealli

First Post
Orning

Orning "Bravo" Layson
Lightbringer Paladin 6

Notable skill(yeah, it's singular): Sense motive

Notable feats : Improved smite, Action Boost

Orning is the son of a local farmer, who wishes not to disclose his name, in Thronehold. At a young age, it was determined by his parents that something wasn't quite right with the boy. They took him to the temple and left him in the care of the Thronehold priests in an attempt to "fix" him, hoping possession or some curse was the cause. This proved false, and though they check in on him from time to time, Orning's parents want little to do with him. Do not pity the boy though. Where his brain fails him, there's just something about this guy that people seem to love. As such he has led a reasonably good life, traveling with preachers looking to spread the Word and gladly following them in their endeavors, eventually becoming a lightbringer in the process.

As for the nickname, one of the members of the clergy who took a special interest in Orning would often compliment him with his favorite phrase, "Bravo". Now they can't seem to get Orning to stop saying it as it comprises a significant portion of his vocabulary.

Orning doesn't do well on his own, but will gladly follow any of the priests whom he looks up to. Orning has blond hair set in a buzz cut and brown eyes. His face is usually adorned with a grin just happy to be doing something to help others. He stands 5'10" and weighs around 170 lbs.

He specializes in eliminating undead with just a few swings of his sword...after all....they make people cry.

Ealli

First Post
Krel Hauldak was born and raised in Eston, a city in the northwest region of Cyre, and former base of House Cannith. As a child growing up in the city he was always amazed by the crafters of the city. He would sit outside the windows of the blacksmiths of the city and watch the workers slave away with youthful awe. Eventually some of the workers would allow him to try his hand at the bellows and tinker with items. It didn't take long for the crafters in his neighborhood to see his proficiency with machines and metals.

When his parents died in a fire at the age of 10, Krel was adopted by his uncle, who had little interest in raising a child. Krel was able to convince him to pay Krel's way into an apprentiship with one of the local crafters. By the age of 18 Krel was the talk of the neighboorhood and some wondered who was teaching who in his shop. When word spread that Tharadan, artificer extraordinare had set up shop in nearby Thronehold, Krel begged to be allowed to leave the services of his current master and seek out this Tharadan for more training. His master, being a shrewd man, put before him an impossible quota of items to be created, telling him if he completed these tasks in a month, he would be free to join him. For thirty days and nights Krel slaved at anvil, workbench, and bellows, creating item after item, sleeping only as his metals cooled. Completing the list on the final day, Krel was released from his apprenticeship and travelled to Thronehold to join Tharadan.

The past ten years have been hard on Krel. Now forty nine years old, gray in the hair, long in his face. The strength he gained with his hammer is leaving him as he ages, though his mind is still sharp. For twenty four years he served with Tharadan, learning the secrets of the artificer trade, and eventually attaining the same level of aptitude as Tharadan himself. When Tharadan died ten years past, it was a hammerblow to Krel's life. He had lost his dearest, and only friend, and partner in business. Outside of machines, Tharadan was the only thing dear in Krel's life. His relationship with the other workers in his shop have become one of routine and necessity, and thoughts plague his mind over why he should continue to live this life.

When a young girl came looking for work a year back, Krel was delighted. Her youthful outlook on life and adventurous attidue make even an aging, lonely man a bit happier. Working at the forges, Krel often visited her for stories of her adventures and conspired with Coalstoker to keep her on as long as they could manage it. The two became friends and Krel began to long for a life outside the shop where he too could live out the adventures that every youth dreams of.

When Thundina aimed to set off with the lightbringers, Krel made his usefulness in a party known to all, and began crafting night and day once more to prepare for the journey. Making magical equipment at nearly no cost to his new comrades, he was filled with excitement for his first adventure out of sight of a work bench.

Krel has very little combat experience, and quite honestly, makes some bad decisions. A keen engineering mind cannot always make decisions in the heat of battle, and Krel now has the scars to prove that. Early bravery is molding into caution and reluctance as Krel daily pulls more elusive dirt out of his hair. It's very likely that in the future Krel will stick to crafting and wands far away from the bruises of battle. Nevertheless, his first adventure is proving to be the time of his life, and for once he's not missing Tharadan so much.

Editor's note: Krel's background was finalized after session 2 and includes so plot spoilers for that session.

Ealli

First Post
Ashlyn, Thendrick, and Mathilda

SPOILERS:

Ashlyn, Thendrick, and Mathilda are members of a previous Lightbringer expedition to Barovia who sent a call for re-enforcements. As of session 2, Ashlyn has been found safe, but in session 4, Thendrick and Mathilda are found dead.

Ashlyn: Ashlyn is a Lightbringer paladin (NPC). She has assisted in operations in the town of Barovia and had been the primary defense for the peasants prior to the arrival of the PCs. As healing and martial abilities are always appreciated, the party has taken a liking to her. She has pointed out a few places of interest, but has not been as much of a well-spring of knowledge as some had hoped.

Last edited:

Ealli

First Post
Romann Ardell

Romann Ardel isn’t a very bright fellow. I mean, he learns quickly enough, but he just seems to lack common sense. Or wits. Really, he’s just kind of lacking. Although being raised proudly in the military traditions of Cyre, he hasn’t quite proved himself yet in battle. That doesn’t stop him from believing fully in his own abilities, at least as he perceives them. In reality, it is often the prayers of his attendant, Cyron, that help him stay alive.

Nearly five years ago Cyron watched Romann’s father die, swearing an oath to protect Romann forever. In that time the two have grown close, but in a twisted way – Romann belies his dependence by exerting his superiority. In reality, if Cyron had not sworn that oath, he could have become much greater than he is. Now, however, his life consists entirely of Romann. Lucky him.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2 Aryth 986 YK
Journal of Romann Ardel, as told to Donc
I can’t believe my dad is making me train! All day I have to run around and hit things with sticks. Dad says that if I don’t start now I could die in ten seconds in battle. I don’t really want to die, so if that means hitting things with sticks then that’s what I’ll do. Still, running is HARD! So dumb.
Dictated but not read

17 Eyre 989 YK
Journal of Romann Ardel
Last week father took me on a campaign. We made an expedition to Xen’drik looking for some weapon of some sort, something called a skeeman or something. Cyron came with, he seems pretty close to dad. Dad’s such a good fighter. Nobody can touch him. I hope I can be like him someday.

28 Nymm 993 YK
Journal of Romann Ardel
Training is going well. My favorite exercise is the one where everyone tries to make it past me. I’ve been doing well at killing most of the slaves that try to run by. My greatsword continues to be tinkered with by the armorer. He’s also been working on a nice breastplate for me so I don’t get hit as often. Seems to be that I bruise easily, so dad wants me to be well protected. Since I don’t use a shield (greatswords are heavy!) I’m pretty much open to every hit.

I can’t wait to begin my service in the military, fighting alongside my father as we advance the cause of Cyre!

05 Lharvion 993 YK
Journal of Romann Ardel
Dad died today. I don’t really want to talk about it.

Day of Mourning
Journal of Romann Ardel
Mom and everyone else is dead. Everyone is dead! All I have left is Cyron, and he won’t leave me alone! All of Cyre is gone, just gone gone gone. The only reason I’m alive is because I wasn’t there! We were all on the march where we were attacked by mysterious marauders, who killed almost everyone before they could even get their armor on. Cyron rushed to me and healed me up. I woke up just in time to see men in strange garb fleeing away. We rushed home but Cyre was gone. Nothing was familiar, not even the hills. Everything was dead and burning, dead dead dead. Everyone is gone and I’m stuck with Cyron. WHY?!?!?

2 years after Day of Mourning
Journal of Romann Ardel
The war is over, and I’ve made up my mind. I’m going to get to the bottom of this! Something happened that day two years ago, and I’m going to find out what! I don’t care what anyone says about me staying home, rebuilding the nation blah blah blah. I want ANSWERS!

5 Olarune 997 YK
Journal of Romann Ardel
Cyron and I have spent the last year talking to people and reading. Well, okay, he’s been reading and I’ve been talking. He sure is helpful! I think that my research is showing that my answers may lie in a small country named Barovia. Better go check that out. Answers must be found!

Ealli

First Post
Cyron of Cyre

Cyron was born in Cyre in the year of the king 965. Born to a humble, but not poor, family in the capital city of Metrol. Cyron's father Barthandus was a minor bureaucrat in the king's court. Far to low in the palace to have his loyalty and fervor tainted by corruption or greed and at the same time far to low for a decent salary. However he brought this loyalty home to his housewife and his only child Cyron. With Cyre at war, Barthandus did the best thing that he could imagine doing for his home, he enlisted his son in a devision of clerics housed within the military of Cyron to be a combat medic and field healer. He did this because he knew that although hard it would be a good life for his son it was more important that he would be able to serve Cyre.

Cyron's being an unusually wise and relatively intelligent student quickly developed into a competent healer and medic and was dispatched to the field hospitals of Cyre on the northern front against Karnath. The Fifth Legion of Cyre was commanded by the brilliant leader Gernadan Ardel. Ardel's reputation preceded him and was known for his brilliant, sometimes risky, unusual, but always successful planning. By 987 YK Cyron became the youngest major in the whole of Cyre's armed forces and at that time came to command the Fifth Legion's clerical division. This was not purely due to Cyron's own abilities however. He had managed to catch the eye of Commander Ardel inadvertently fast tracking himself to his rank of major.

Cyron was no fool and knew why he had reached such heights so quickly but didn't care. He trusted Ardel to have made the right decision and felt proud to be able to serve Cyre better. Inherent in his new post was the position as Ardel's personal healer and cleric. In this position Cyron quickly became Ardel's friend and confidant. Cyron listened to Ardel's stories of his son and how some day he would take his place and was impressed by the stories of the young man.

One day Cyron's leader fell on the field of battle. While fighting the northern front against Karnath half the army was beset by some undead plague, Commander Ardel was among the afflicted.. Cyron worked night and day in an attempt to keep the men alive and hopefully cure them. It was a powerful magical disease though and Cyron could cure very few. Ardel refused treatment until, at very least, his battalion commanders were cured first. When finally the time came to aid his commander the disease had progressed too far and Cyron was powerless to stop it continual march through what remained if Commander Ardel's body. On the eve of his death Ardel called Cyron to his bedside. "Cyron, my son, he needs guidance. I have one last thing to ask of you. Care for my son as I have. I know you have no family of your own, let my son be yours." Those were Grendan's final words. Although he never heard it, Cyron made a vow that he would protect and serve his son as loyally as he had served him.

Under the extenuating circumstances and the near total loss of the Fifth Legion Cyron was allowed to resign his commission. His military days were not over as he served Romann in his day's of service fighting for Cyre on other battlefields. Although he never resented making the vow Cyron often found himself wondering how Grendan could be the father of Romann. They share many traits but good leadership and a wise mind were not among them. Cyron never regretted though for he could still serve Cyre along with Romann and that was enough to keep Cyron happy.

Then, they day of mourning.

With Cyre gone Cyron became an almost broken man. The only thing that kept him going was his vow to Grendan. His actions in serving Romann were nothing but habit to him now, the only thing he had left. What little family he had was gone, Grendan was gone, Cyre was gone, all that remained was Romann. Both Romann and Cyron knew that all they had were each other but at the same time they almost hated each other for a time. Romann recovered from his stupor faster then Cyron did, he had decided to find the answers to the Day of Mourning, he had a mission; Cyron only had Romann. Slowly with time Cyron came out of his oblivious state. Just as he had happy served Cyre and Grendan before he would serve Romann.

Cyron and Romann have traveled and researched long together. Rather, Cyron researched Romann followed rumors. Cyron had become convinced that the Mourning was arcane in nature and not likely an act of any of the human nations but little more. He was no wizard and was not trained in their ways. Romann on the other hand was convinced (by a gypsy that charged him 100 gold) that the artifact that caused the day of Mourning could be found and it's destruction would lead to the reversal of the waste laid on Cyre. Cyron attempted to convince Romann otherwise but the boy was set and they have been searching for this artifact ever since. Cyron continues what little research he can do without arcane knowledge but gets very little out of it. That is, excepting Romann's happiness from the thought that Cyron is diligently searching for this artifact.. For that boy had become everything to Cyron, foolish or not, Romann had become his whole world. The end of Romann, would likely mean the end of Cyron.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm going to toss up inconsistencies or repetition on my lack of caring to proof read and having written this in several sittings. Cyron probably hasn't shared all of this with your characters but I thought you'd find it interesting the way I see the life of Cyron having come about. At the same time providing explanation of why a relatively powerful cleric is subservient to the reckless and unwise Romann.

Last edited:

Remove ads