Cantrip: Caltrops (3 Yes Votes, Zero No Votes: Passed)

Patlin

Explorer
From Spell Compendium, p. 42 to 43.

Much as the name would suggest, it summons caltrops. Lasts for 1 round per level.

Last edited:

Patlin

Explorer
Silence can mean many things in these proposals, such as:

1. Not commenting as I don't have the book.
2. Not commenting as it seems like a bad idea but not so bad I think I should vote no.
3. I haven't noticed the proposal yet.

Has anyone but Erekose seen this thread yet? Comments are welcome.

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
Spell is pretty much as described: summon's caltrops into one square (plus some per some level fraction) for 1 r/level.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Area and Range? You gave a good idea of the area already, but before that, I didn't know if it was Close range in one square or 400+ Long range in a 100ft radius per level :lol:

Patlin

Explorer
Don't have my book with me, I'll check the range details tonight. I think it's close, but the real limiter is the duration... it's too short to use the spell to prepare ahead of time, and most of the time I find if I'm casting cantrips in battle I'm going to get myself killed. :)

Realistically, you'd be better off carrying a bag of caltrops than summoning them. It's a fun trick though.

Someone

Adventurer
Range is Short, no SR. For 1 round/level you create 1 square of caltrops that behave exactly as their mundane caltrop brethen. For every 2 caster levels over 1, you get an additional square full of caltropian fun (to a max of 5, just like Magic Missile), and every caltrop created by the spell get a +1 bonus to hit (capping at +4, too)

It's specified that piling caltrops in the same square doesn't do any good. Difficult to believe as it is, there's such thing as too many caltrops.

Remove ads