• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Temple of Elemental Evil (3.5 with 1e style)

airwalkrr

Adventurer
I think I can handle running two PBP campaigns at once, and I have been wanting to try this idea out. I will be running T1-4 The Temple of Elemental Evil for a group of up to six players. I will start the campaign as soon as I have four, and we will progress from there.

My house rules are fairly simply, but aimed at establishing a 1st edition atmosphere with 3.5 rules.

1) No prestige classes allowed.
2) AD&D (1e) multiclass/two classes rules.
3) Assassin is a base class (see below).
4) Barbarian and sorcerer are not base classes.
5) Scribe Scroll and Brew Potion have a prerequisite of 6th caster level and all other magic item creation feats have a prerequisite of 12th caster level. Wizards must choose Improved Counterspell or Spell Mastery at 1st level instead of Scribe Scroll.

Most of these are fairly straightforward. Let me explain 2 in a bit more detail. A multiclass character is essentially a gestalt character, with the caveat that his hp added per class level is half. So a fighter/cleric with a 14 Con who rolled a 5 for his fighter hp and a 4 for his cleric hp would gain 6.5 hp for that level (3.5 for fighter and 3 for cleric), rounded down to 6. A gestalt character divides his XP between his classes evenly.

Dwarf: May be a fighter, rogue, assassin, or fighter/rogue.
Elf: May be a fighter, wizard, rogue, assassin, fighter/wizard, fighter/rogue, rogue/wizard, or fighter/rogue/wizard.
Gnome: May be a fighter, wizard (illusionist), rogue, assassin, fighter/illusionist, fighter/rogue, or illusionist/rogue.
Half-Elf: May be a cleric, druid, fighter, ranger, wizard, rogue, assassin, cleric/fighter, cleric/ranger, cleric/wizard, fighter/wizard, fighter/rogue, wizard/rogue, cleric/fighter/wizard,
or fighter/wizard/rogue.
Half-Orc: May be a fighter, cleric, rogue, assassin, cleric/fighter, cleric/rogue, cleric/assassin, fighter/rogue, or fighter/assassin.

Humans may be of any class. A character with two classes is an option for humans only. For a human to take a second class, he must have at least a 15 in the principal attribute of his first class and at least a 17 in the principal attribute of his second class. A human can have no more than two classes, and once he takes a second class, he can never gain levels in his first class again. A human with two classes loses all abilities of his first class (except hp) until his second class levels exceed those of his first class. A human with two classes tracks experience for each class separately. Following is a list of principal attributes.

Assasin: Int
Bard: Cha
Cleric: Wis
Druid: Wis
Fighter: Str
Monk: Wis
Paladin: Cha
Ranger: Dex
Rogue: Dex
Wizard: Int

In addition, I will allow players to use books from the following series for spells, feats, skill tricks, and mundane equipment (i.e. non-magical): Complete, Races (excluding Eberron/FR), Environment, Compendiums, Book of ... (e.g. Draconomicon), as well as PH2 and DMG2. Class variants from Unearthed Arcana and PH2 allowed on a case-by-case basis.

Classes: Choose from list above (may use dead level abilities
Race: Choose from list above
Ability scores: Standard 4d6 (roll on invisiblecastle.com)
Age/Height/Weight: Standard (roll on invisiblecastle.com)
Equipment: Standard (roll on invisiblecastle.com) treat assassin as rogue

If you wish to keep your character details secret, send them to me. If you don't mind them being out in the open, post them here. The first six players to create characters get a spot.

Edit: Human characters with two classes are treated like gestalt characters as well, only they keep their hp total and do not gain more hp until their new class level exceeds the level of their old class. If their skill points for their new class is greater than that of their old class, they can add the difference to their total skill points. They may also use retraining from the PH2 to move some of their skill points to skills in the new class if they wish, but only until the new class is equal in level to the old class.

Attachments

• Assassin.pdf
    107.9 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:

johnsemlak

First Post
I'm interested. I've rolled up a basic character and attached character files. I'll flesh out the background in a bit.

Attachments

• Keorag of Keoland.doc
    101 KB · Views: 117

airwalkrr

Adventurer
Looks good so far johnsemlak. You missed a feat and skills I believe, but otherwise it's fine. A half-orc from Keoland. Interesting. :)

johnsemlak

First Post
I'ved edited those issues and a couple of other things.

Attachments

• Keorag of Keoland.doc
    100.5 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:

Hurog

First Post
New and improved Garben Tarnickle.
Now with backstory!

Attachments

• garben.txt
    1.7 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:

DrZombie

First Post
Keondar Arrangar, Human wizard 1

[sblock=character sheet]

Keondar Arrangar

Male Human Wizard 1

Neutral Good

Strength 6 (-2)
Dexterity 14 (+2)
Constitution 10 (+0)
Intelligence 17 (+3)
Wisdom 8 (-1)
Charisma 7 (-2)
Size: Medium
Height: 6' 6"
Weight: 130 lb
Skin: Pale
Eyes:
Hair: Blond; Wavy; Light Beard

Total Hit Points: 4

Speed: 30 feet

Armor Class: 12 = 10 +2 [dexterity]

Touch AC: 12
Flat-footed: 10
Initiative modifier: +2 = +2 [dexterity]
Fortitude save: +0 = 0 [base]
Reflex save: +2 = 0 [base] +2 [dexterity]
Will save: +1 = 2 [base] -1 [wisdom]
Attack (handheld): -2 = 0 [base] -2 [strength]
Attack (unarmed): -2 = 0 [base] -2 [strength]
Attack (missile): +2 = 0 [base] +2 [dexterity]
Grapple check: -2 = 0 [base] -2 [strength]

Light load:20 lb. or less
Medium load:21-40 lb.
Heavy load:41-60 lb.
Lift over head:60 lb.
Lift off ground:120 lb.
Push or drag:300 lb.

Languages: Common Draconic Gnome Halfling

Dagger [1d4, crit 19-20/x2, range inc 10 ft., 1 lb., light, piercing]

Light Crossbow [1d8, crit 19-20/x2, range inc 80 ft., 4 lb, piercing]]

Raven Familiar

Feats:

Dodge
Point Blank Shot
Spell mastery (Charm person, Unseen servant, Magic missile)

Traits:
Spellbook :
1st :
Charm person
Magic Missile
Unseen servant
Comprehend languages
Identify
Enlarge person;

Appraise Int 6 = +3 +3
Balance Dex* 2 = +2
Bluff Cha -2 = -2
Climb Str* -2 = -2
Concentration Con 4 = +0 +4
Craft Int 3 = +3
Decipher Script Int 7 = +3 +4
Diplomacy Cha -2 = -2
Disguise Cha -2 = -2
Escape Artist Dex* 2 = +2
Forgery Int 3 = +3
Gather Information Cha -2 = -2
Heal Wis -1 = -1
Hide Dex* 2 = +2
Intimidate Cha -2 = -2
Jump Str* -2 = -2
Knowledge (arcana) Int 7 = +3 +4
Knowledge (architecture) Int 4 = +3 +1
Knowledge (geography) Int 5 = +3 +2
Knowledge (history) Int 7 = +3 +4
Knowledge (planes) Int 4 = +3 +1
Listen Wis -1 = -1
Move Silently Dex* 2 = +2
Ride Dex 2 = +2
Search Int 3 = +3
Sense Motive Wis -1 = -1
Spellcraft Int 7 = +3 +4
Spot Wis -1 = -1
Survival Wis -1 = -1
Swim Str** -2 = -2
Use Rope Dex 2 = +2

* = check penalty for wearing armor

Human:

Extra feat at first level (already included)
Four extra skill points at first level (already included)
One extra skill point at each additional level (already included)
Wizard
Familiar / Alertness, etc.

Bonus Feats (already included)

High intelligence gains bonus spells daily

Class HP rolled
Level 1: Wizard 4

Equipment:

5 lb Weapons / Armor / Shield (from above)
1 lb Crossbow bolts (quiver of 10) x1
3 lb Spellbook x1
_____
9 lb Total

More about this character:

Keondar comes from a noble family, a family of warriors, generals, leaders of men. Men like his older brother. Not men like him. A childhood disease wasted away most of his strength. He was cared for by the house magister, and spent allmost a year abed, reading and learning. His strength never fully came back, and his health is not what it should be.
He is a bookish type, eager to learn, but with horrible people skills and little common sense.
His father never really took a liking to the boy, preferring his older, healthy brother, and grooming him for the heirdom. After another argument with his father he simply left the house with a small backpack stuffed with books, eager to explore the world.

He is a tall, rail-thin human with a small goatee and long blond hair, dressed in comfortable earth-toned clothing. Huaarkh, his raven, usually sits on his shoulders. He is a bright lad, but allways seems to make the wrong comment at exactly the wrong time.

[/sblock]

[sblock=spells prepared]
Lvl 0:
detect magic
read magic
disrupt undead

Lvl 1:
Charm person.
Magic missile.

[/sblock]

Last edited:

Remove ads