Top 10 DCC Adventures

What are your top 10 Dungeon Crawl Classics Adventures?

I've poked around Goodman Games' messageboards as well as some review sites (including ours) and have had some difficulty separating the wheat from the chaff, as it were.

It is not difficult to figure out which are the more highly regarded Necromancer Adventures or WotC Adventures or even older edition D&D/AD&D Adventures. But, the DCC line is a little more ambigious. The forum over at GG is not as active as this one, so I thought I'd post here!

So ... help a fella out. Tell me your favorites!

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I think the ENnies do an OK job of sorting. As I recall, the DCC modules to get nominations or win include Idylls of the Rat King, Aerie of the Crow God, The Dragonfiend Pact and Crypt of the Devil Lich.

I'd definitely rank the Dragonfiend Pact, The Transmuter's Last Touch and Legend of the Ripper (changing or removing the first monster, though) as my top three, although I have not read every DCC, or even all the ones that I own.

bento

Explorer
It's a mixed bag, but at least the worst rate in the middle. I just posted a review on DCC #27 "Revenge of the Rat King" because its the best I've read so far and I've seen no reviews posted about it.

Here's how I rate what I've read so far:

DCC #0: Legends are Made Not Born - 2.5 stars, for innovation (having 0-level charcters)
DCC #2: The Lost Vault of Tsazthar Rho - 2 stars. I've DMed it and found it to be too long if run as written as well as mostly hack-n-slash encouters
DCC #11: Dragonfiend Pact - 4 stars. It's also innovative for what the characters must do to solve the mystery as well as serving a good short adventure
DCC #27: Revenge of the Rat King - 5 stars. You'll have to read my review which I posted today
DCC #29: The Aventure Begins - I won't rate because it's a compilation of about 20 different 1st through 2nd level adventures.
DCC #35A: Halls of the Minotar - 4 stars. I've DMed half of it. It takes the same premesis as DCC #0 with 0-level characters, but I thought it feels much more grittier and that the characters can really die at any moment if they're not thinking things through.
DCC #35B: The Thief Lord's Vault - haven't read yet.

I'm planning on posting detailed reviews of these in the next few weeks.

These adventures are on my "to buy" list because I've heard good things about them:
DCC 12: The Blackguard's Revenge
DCC 17: Legacy of the Savage Kings
DCC 28: Into the Wilds

DragonLancer

Adventurer
In release order, my top 10 DCC's are:

DCC #6 - Temple of the Dragon Cult.
DCC #11 - The Dragonfiend Pact.
DCC #15 - Crypt of the Devil Lich.
DCC #17 - Legacy of the Savage Kings.
DCC #18 - Citadel of the Demon Prince.
DCC #19 - The Volcano Caves.
DCC #20 - Shadows in Freeport.
DCC #26 - The Scaly God.
DCC #30 - Vault of the Dragon Kings.
DCC #37 - The Slithering Overlord.

Qualidar

First Post
DragonLancer said:
DCC #20 - Shadows in Freeport.
DragonLancer, what did you like about it? I really didn't enjoy it, so I'm wondering what others are seeing that I'm not.

Out of the few I've read, my vote would be for Aerie of the Crow Lord.

~Qualidar~

DragonLancer

Adventurer
Qualidar said:
DragonLancer, what did you like about it? I really didn't enjoy it, so I'm wondering what others are seeing that I'm not.

It's difficult to explain really. To me having a scenario, especially a published one, that works on the confined to a house (rather than a dungeon crawl) theme was a good change from the usual fare. I liked the horror aspect as well, though it did require a slight tweaking to the feel.
I can easily see it not being to everyone's tastes, but I felt it worked a lot better than Legend of the Ripper was just too linear for the same sort of feel.

Starglim

Explorer
I haven't read that many of them or run any, but for what it's worth:

Another vote for #5, Aerie of the Crow God.

#11, The Dragonfiend Pact, is fun for a quirky low-level adventure. Likewise you should find at least something useful from the twenty mini-adventures in #29, The Adventure Begins.

#12.5, Iron Crypt of the Heretics, and #15, Lost Tomb of the Sphinx Queen, are flavourful dungeon crawl type adventures.

Last edited:

Remove ads