• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Slaughtergarde - more than a long dungeon crawl?

00Machado

First Post
The title pretty much says it. Is this a multi-level dungeon crawl mini campaign? Flipping through it, the maps basically look all like dungeon rooms and corridors.

It makes me wonder if there's anything more to it than that.

I'm not likely to have a good time with 6 levels of the same/mostly the same dungeon, no matter how good it is.

But before I write it off, and to save myself the time of reading it all myself, I'm wondering if others think there's something else of interest in the adventure.

JustKim

First Post
I was impressed with the format, but the actual adventure isn't what you'd call compelling or even logical. There's a fair deal on the surrounding area and factions involved in the story, but it is all about going into the dungeons and killing monsters in their little rooms until the portal is closed (oops, spoiler!).

DM_Jeff

Explorer
Slaughtergarde has a lot of material dedicated to the overland campaign map, the major city there, the a bunch of NPCs. Each named area of the valley is given a little write-up to jump-start a DMs imagination, and a lot of adventure possibilities are sprinkled throughout, but many of those are for the DM to develop around the 3 dungeons the product centers on.

-DM Jeff

DaveyJones

First Post
it is all about using your wotc toys. dungeon tiles, minis, and other supplements from the environment series.

the folder is very weak so be careful with it. i'd say throw it away, but it has charts inside. :\

JustKim

First Post
DaveyJones said:
it is all about using your wotc toys. dungeon tiles, minis, and other supplements from the environment series.
Yes, the creatures usually have corresponding miniatures and use the miniature's name for convenience sake. However, I have a hard time believing that WotC intends to sell miniatures (their best-selling product) through mention in an adventure (their worst-selling product).

There is also no way to construct the dungeon with Dungeon Tiles, and the Delve format goes to great lengths to present all of the information needed for an encounter. You do not need the DMG handy to run the adventure, much less the environment books.

DaveyJones

First Post
JustKim said:
Yes, the creatures usually have corresponding miniatures and use the miniature's name for convenience sake. However, I have a hard time believing that WotC intends to sell miniatures (their best-selling product) through mention in an adventure (their worst-selling product).

There is also no way to construct the dungeon with Dungeon Tiles, and the Delve format goes to great lengths to present all of the information needed for an encounter. You do not need the DMG handy to run the adventure, much less the environment books.

i think you are reading too much into what i said.

i meant it ties in well with other wotc products. it has places where all of these things you have already purchased or are considering purchasing can be used with this product.

those other things aren't necessary to run the product.

but if you have 1000 minis you can certainly find the specific ones mentioned. if you have the Dungeon tiles or similar things like from the Starter sets for the DDM or Basic boxed set you can add some to the fold outs in the product.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
DM_Jeff said:
Slaughtergarde has a lot of material dedicated to the overland campaign map, the major city there, the a bunch of NPCs. Each named area of the valley is given a little write-up to jump-start a DMs imagination, and a lot of adventure possibilities are sprinkled throughout, but many of those are for the DM to develop around the 3 dungeons the product centers on.

-DM Jeff

And at least they are different dungeons. That, plus the supporting material, make a big difference from a "mega-dungeon" campaing like RttToEE (or actually, it makes it like the early part of that, but not the later will these mines never end part).

Remove ads