• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How powerful are my PCs?

How powerful do my PCs seem in comparison to those in your game(s)?

• More powerful than PCs in my game

Votes: 82 68.3%
  • Approximately as powerful as PCs in my game

Votes: 18 15.0%
  • Less powerful than PCs in my game

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • Shil, you are a poopyhead!

Votes: 11 9.2%

shilsen

Adventurer
The five PCs in my Eberron campaign (see sig) just hit 13th level and I was just wondering how they fall on the power level continuum in comparison to PCs run by other people on ENWorld. Here’s a not-so-short list of some of the rules we have in existence which affect power level:

Character Creation: PCs were created by dividing 80 pts among their stats, with no more than one stat at an 18 and no lower than an 8 before racial levels. So characters were around 36-42 pts on the DMG point buy scale. They’re now slightly lower since all PCs took a permanent -2 to Con while hitting 13th level, so they have 81 pts divided among their stats, plus the extra 24 from the permanent enhancements (see below).

Hit pts: If PCs roll less than 50% on the given hit die, they get the 50% score, i.e. if you roll 1, 2, or 3 on d8, you get 4.

Skill pts: All classes get 2 extra skill pts every level (8 at 1st level). All characters get to pick one class to be a permanent class skill, whatever classes they have or are leveling in.

Feats: Feats are available from the PHB, with feats from the Complete books and the Eberron books being allowed on a case-by-case basis.

Spellcasting: We use the UA spontaneous metamagic rule which lets one spontaneously use each of their metamagic feats thrice daily. The metamagicked spell doesn’t use a higher slot, but cannot be applied to a spell higher than their highest level slot – the feat’s slot adjustment, i.e. someone with access to 6th level spells can empower a spell up to 3rd level, only using a 3rd level slot to do so. This matters a lot, since 4 of the 5 PCs is a primary spellcaster.

Spells available: PHB spells are available, and each character may pick 4 spells from the Spell Compendium per spell level (allowed on a case-by-case basis) to add to their spells known.

Equipment: I generally keep the PCs a little to a lot higher on the equipment scale. At this point, going up to 13th level, the PCs have the following permanent enhancements on each of them (NOT in items): +4 enhancement bonus to all six stats, +4 resistance bonus to saves, +4 enhancement bonus to natural armor, +3 deflection bonus to AC, fast healing 1 (which only kicks in 1 minute after they take damage, so effectively no healing needed between fights if they have enough time). That, ignoring the fast healing and the slotless nature of the enhancements on them, clocks in at 130,000 gp. Besides this, they have 60,000 gp each to spend on items. Each character also has at least one special item, including things like:

* For the wizard/alienist: (1) A necklace that gives him access to every PHB spell of a level that he can cast, with no need for scribing, and (2) a ring that provides the following (3/day, allows spontaneous application of a metamagic feat to a spell up to 3rd lvl; 1/day, it allows spontaneous application of a metamagic feat to a spell up to 6th lvl. The application creates no increase in casting time and the spell still uses the same slot. The metamagic feat must be one of the following: Empower, Energy Substitution (Acid), Enlarge Spell, Extend Spell, Silent Spell. The ring also allows the use of the spells Detect Magic, Prestidigitation and Unseen Servant each 3/day, and provides a +5 competence bonus to Spellcraft checks.)

* For the cleric/paladin/exorcist of the silver flame: An intelligent +1 Holy Ghost Touch Greatsword which can cast Swift Fly on him 2/day and can turn into any weapon at will

* For the druid/hexer: (1) A +1 Keen Shock Starmetal Jovar (exotic greatsword doing 2d6/18-20), which allows use of Whirling Blade 2/day, and (2) an amulet that gives him a +5 to Concentration and Intimidate, as well as allowing him to activate the Roots of the Mountain stance (from Book of Nine Swords) once per encounter as a swift action.

Swashbuckling cards: I originally used action points, but have switched to swashbuckling cards now, of which PCs get three a session. Players can drop 2 cards (which others can contribute) to survive a killing blow/effect and be dropped to stable at -9 hp.

There are a few other rules around, since I’ve generally worked with each PC to modify their class to fit the concept better and allowed individual powerups of some kind or other to them all, but that’s about it.

So, what do you think about the power level of the PCs here? And exactly how Monty Haul am I :D?

Clarifier: Obviously I'm not asking if you think my 13th lvl PCs are stronger thand your 5th lvl ones, but rather whether you think they're stronger, weaker or about the same vis-a-vis their given levels. Also, I'm thinking about it on the basis of individual PC power, and not as a group.

And drat - I wanted it to be a multiple choice poll. Oh well!

Last edited:

Rystil Arden

First Post
Do we count the fact that you only have 3 PCs in determining power? Also, it may be important to know what feats and such your characters took--I think your guys have more gear and GM bennies than mine, but that doesn't mean mine are necessarily weaker based on the specifics of the build. Also, the Alienist's special items seem noticably better than those of the others--was that meant to be?

awayfarer

First Post
Man, this makes me feel like I was stingy with the players in my upcoming Eberron game. I gave them at level 1...

1 masterwork weapon
1 set of masterwork armor (or shield)
Craft, Perform and Profession as class skills with 1 free skill rank per/lvl that is ONLY applicable to those skills. (An attempt to get players to flesh out their characters)
1 skill rank in Knowledge:Local, applicable to their town/place of origin.
25 point buy, all abilities start at 10
Max starting gold
Free ID papers with portrait (Worth 5g)

I'll also be giving out some nifty stuff for everyone who actually posted up a short back story for their character, which includes everyone as of a few days ago. These will probably be worth a feat but I don't have them all written up yet.

shilsen

Adventurer
Rystil Arden said:
Do we count the fact that you only have 3 PCs in determining power? Also, it may be important to know what feats and such your characters took--I think your guys have more gear and GM bennies than mine, but that doesn't mean mine are necessarily weaker based on the specifics of the build. Also, the Alienist's special items seem noticably better than those of the others--was that meant to be?
5 PCs. I didn't mention two of them. But I'm generally curious on a one to one basis.

As for the special items, they're generally based on the individual PC and have a wider scale of power than the other things. Each PC also has a couple of other special items/abilities I haven't listed, and I can generally eyeball things well to prevent any character dominating things. Oops - I forgot to mention that the paladin's sword can turn into any other weapon at will.

On the feats angle, here are a couple of selections:

Alienist - Augment Summoning, Extend Spell, Greater Spell Focus (Conjuration), Improved Augment Summoning (UA conjuror 10th lvl), Improved Initiative, Improved Toughness, Scribe Scroll, Spell Focus (Conjuration)

Exorcist of the Silver Flame - Divine Might, Extra Smiting, Improved Critical (falchion), Improved Sunder, Power Attack, Practiced Spellcaster (Cleric)

Druid (not the Druid/Hexer) - Alertness, Empower Spell, Maximize Spell, Natural Spell, Quicken Spell, Shifter Ferocity, Shifter Instincts

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
You are a poopyhead. ;)

But aside from that, yes. . . very very powerful. . . about 180 degree opposite from the games I run/enjoy playing in it seems. . . then again, I'd be willing to give almost any type of game a try and see what it's like. . .

In my "Out of the Frying Pan" campaign, not all the PCs had magic weapons at 10th level - though one of the main combat guides (a ranger/cleric) used the spell magic weapon when his masterwork great sword wasn't getting the job done due to DR. Though some of the characters did have way above average stats (this was before I began using the stat draft method).

I've been playing 3.0/3.5e D&D a good long while, especially appreciating the mechanics ends of things, and I would peg your PCs at approximately 2 LA above where they would normally be at. Its a moderately strong +2 I'd say, but it would balance out to a straight +2 by the time they got to higher levels (when +4 enhancement ability bonuses, etc... wouldn't be the highest bonuses they could get). The metamagic change with so many spellcasters throws off their CR if they simply fought 1-2 encounters a day though, so I might be inclined to freely throw either creatures with a good amount of SR or 3 or 4 CR above their (LA not included) level regularly, or even 5 comfortably (which would normally be TPK-ish sounding) if its the only encounter in a day.

That said, the versatility of so many spellcasters might truly trump encounters with creatures that can't kill them immediately. I'm curious as to your experiences with this group as a campaign with multiple spellcasters intrigues me.

Gumby

First Post
If you're not using pre-written adventures, doesn't look like a problem, exactly. I see you're eliminating most of the typical magic item purchases through your (free?) bonuses to saves, natural armor, etc.

I'm not going to assign any sort of EL modifier though, as I'm not sure what they face on a regular basis.

All in all, I'd give it a "Holy crap! Are there any orcs left in your world?"

For comparison, in my game I had a system called Fate Points which were similar to action points but allowed other abilities, such as regaining of hp instantly (1 or 2), gaining an extra partial action (1), rerolling a save (1), swapping out a memorized spell for another one (1), automatically succeeding a save (2) and not losing a negative level upon Raise dead/Ressurection (3).

PCs were built on 32 point buy, the bard PC was a Fey'ri (elven tiefling) and had an amulet that could transform him into a barbarian of 2 levels lower (costing him 1 spell slot of every spell level he could cast). The ranger got bitten by a werewolf and took levels in werewolf and werewolf master progression in his teenage levels and late in the game had a shamanistic relationship with a bear spirit that increased his strength and ability to rend. The monk had a 'Chosen' template that gave him some wind-related powers and extra dexterity/speed and before that took a vow of poverty. By the time the campaign ended at level 20, I'd say all their extra benefits equaled out to be around +3 LA which made the final fight a real doozy :).

Rystil Arden

First Post
shilsen said:
5 PCs. I didn't mention two of them. But I'm generally curious on a one to one basis.

As for the special items, they're generally based on the individual PC and have a wider scale of power than the other things. Each PC also has a couple of other special items/abilities I haven't listed, and I can generally eyeball things well to prevent any character dominating things. Oops - I forgot to mention that the paladin's sword can turn into any other weapon at will.

On the feats angle, here are a couple of selections:

Alienist - Augment Summoning, Extend Spell, Greater Spell Focus (Conjuration), Improved Augment Summoning (UA conjuror 10th lvl), Improved Initiative, Improved Toughness, Scribe Scroll, Spell Focus (Conjuration)

Exorcist of the Silver Flame - Divine Might, Extra Smiting, Improved Critical (falchion), Improved Sunder, Power Attack, Practiced Spellcaster (Cleric)

Druid (not the Druid/Hexer) - Alertness, Empower Spell, Maximize Spell, Natural Spell, Quicken Spell, Shifter Ferocity, Shifter Instincts
One to one your guys certainly have more in terms of extra stuff than my characters at an equivalent level (they usually have ~ standard wealth, though that varies wildly from way low to a bit high because I tend to put treasure in big stockpiles after relative droughts) but I'm actually fairly certain that the Iajutsu Master in my game, for instance, would kill one of your characters before the character could take a turn if you started them five feet from each other and just rolled initiative. The Swashbuckling card that puts you instantly to pull health might be an issue, though, if they drew that--that's a huge one. I don't know the HP and AC on your guys, but I'm guessing the Iajutsu Master could manage even then (he does TONS of damage if he goes first and then sucks for the rest of the fight, and he always goes first).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads