• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What's not fun?

Shadeydm

First Post
So I see an ever increasing number of posts identifying parts of DnD that just aren't fun that people want removed when 4E comes out next year. So lets get it all on the table and see just what isn't fun and needs to go.

Save or die
Energy drain
Death
Damage
Vanican magic
Running out of resources (spells etc)
Gnomes
Iterative attacks
Sleeping (for new or to change spells)
Hit points
Failing skill checks
Missing attack rolls
Failing saving throws

What else isn't fun please bring out your laundry list, inquiring minds want to know.

Last edited:

The problem, of course, is that any list you come up with is going to be misleading. The fact that something isn't fun for the particular person who brought it up isn't even remotely the same thing as saying that it's not fun to a majority of players, and thus should be reconsidered.

marune

First Post
Save or die should be rare.
Temporary Energy drain is fine.
Death must stay, but handled in a different way.
Vanican magic / Running out of resources. Some ressources must run out, not all of them.
Gnomes should be there, but don't need to be in PHB 1.
Iterative attacks should go away (full-round actions give static combat)
Hit points is one of the best idea of D&D.
Failed skill checks that doesn't move the game forward should go away.

blargney the second

blargney the minute's son
Unnecessarily complicated AoOs
Poor multiclassing for spellcasters
Stringent prerequisites for feats & PrCs
Complicated monster/NPC generation
Finding rules in books at the table is a pain in the ass!

Doug McCrae

Legend
Currently the most unfun parts of the game for me are:

1) Counting up, and disposition of, loot.
2) Delays caused by PC death - creating a new character or waiting for a rez.

There's a fairly simple solution to (1) though - lump loot together. (2) could be solved if all players have a backup char ready to go.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
I dislike rules that always make me look them up -- turning undead, I'm looking at you! But I love stuff that challenges the PCs and makes players nervous.

Majoru Oakheart

Adventurer
Shadeydm said:
Death
Damage
Gnomes
Iterative attacks
Sleeping
Hit points
Failing skill checks
Missing attack rolls
Failing saving throws
I don't believe that anyone I've seen in favor of removing damage, attack, or skill rolls from the game. Plus, it isn't a matter of Gnomes or Iterative attacks being "unfun", it's a matter of having MORE fun with other options.

And most of the talk of changing things for 4th edition are in order to make the game go faster, not because any of the options are no fun.

Gort

Explorer
Doug McCrae said:
2) Delays caused by PC death - creating a new character or waiting for a rez.
Very true. I really think the -10 hitpoints and you're dead rule needs to go - replace it with something like "hit negative half of your maximum hitpoints and you're dead".

There is very scant difference between 0 hitpoints and -10 when you're being hit for 120 a turn.

Gort said:
Very true. I really think the -10 hitpoints and you're dead rule needs to go - replace it with something like "hit negative half of your maximum hitpoints and you're dead".

There is very scant difference between 0 hitpoints and -10 when you're being hit for 120 a turn.

Hmm...

I actually think the -10 rule is almost too kind. Not quite, but almost. Making it any harder to die would, IMO, damage the experience of the game. It takes out too much of the risk. IME, -10 works fine.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads