• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Plans to upgrade/switch?

Do you plan to upgrade editions?

• I currently use pre-3E and am not upgrading

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I currently use 3E/3.5 and won't be upgrading

Votes: 30 17.8%
  • I will check out 4E first and might upgrade

Votes: 83 49.1%
  • I will upgrade to 4E without question

Votes: 47 27.8%
  • I am giving up on D&D altogether

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Other

Votes: 7 4.1%

Thurbane

First Post
Just curious, a quick poll to see what people's plans for upgrading their D&D games are.

(Not 100% sure if this belongs here or in the 4E forum?)

Last edited:

milo

First Post
I say I won't upgrade simply because of the investment in money I have in 3.5. The only way I would upgrade is from equal purchasing of books from other group members for 4e books.

KarinsDad

Adventurer
I wanted the: "I will check out 4E first and will almost definitely upgrade" category.

I've upgraded 4 times before, I suspect I will do it again (DND to ADND to 2E to 3E to 3.5E). And I also suspect that unless it is really bad, a significant majority of DND players will get there eventually as well.

I also suspect that I will upgrade to 5E and 6E if I live that long.

My concern is that the time between upgrades has been fairly short recently (although one could combine 3E and 3.5 to 8 years from 3E to 4E since 3.5 really didn't change the mechanics that much): 4+ years, 10 years, 11 years, 3 years, and 5 years.

Last edited:

CsonTep

First Post
I'm getting a new 3.5 game together, but some of the people I play with are getting excited by fourth. So, we'll probably end up checking it out.

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
Upgrade implies the new product will be better. That remains to be seen. Based on what I've read from various designers, the problems they see in their games make me wonder if they're playing the same 3.5 D&D I am. I'm thinking the new D&D is being rewritten to fix problems that aren't really problems (and becoming largely incompatible with 3.0/3.5 in the process). If this is the case, the odds of me "upgrading" are slim to none.

Hurtoc

First Post
What I've seen and heard about 4E sounds great. I voted for 4E without question, I trust the team behind it and also I can't wait to try the online tools. I expect it to be a nice update to my favorite game.

Arkhandus

First Post
3.0E forever! :p

......I may eventually try playing in someone else's 4E game once in a while (just as I occasionally play in others' 3.5E games despite my preference for the one true edition - 3.0!).

But most likely only if there's an SRD for 4th Edition, as I won't throw away my money on 4E any moreso than on 3.5 (I've only bought the Book of Nine Swords cuz it's really cool, and compatible with 3.0 with hardly any tweaking; I like rules variants, but 4E promises to take the model of Bo9S to an extreme and make it the default/core on top of that).

Jhaelen

First Post
I'm currently using 3.5 and will continue to do the until the end of the campaign. Depending on when it's finished I might use 4th.ed. for the next campaign.

I'm pretty sure I'll upgrade at some point in the future, I just cannot say, when.

Remove ads