• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Aligning D&Ds skills to a Saga style system - Help

Sidekick

First Post
So I’m planning on overhauling the current skill system into something more like what Star Wars Saga edition has. The whole trained untrained distinction with characters getting better at ALL skills as they go up in levels.

Here’s my proposed skill list with the skills that they subsume from the current system.

Acrobatics (balance, escape artist, tumble)
Climb
Craft (all individ)
Deception (forgery, bluff, disguise)
Disable Device (disable device & open locks)
Endurance (swim, forced marches, ignore hunger/thirst, running)
Gather Information
Handle Animal (include in Ride?)
Heal (current rules)
Jump
Knowledge (all individ as per usual)
Perception (Listen, spot, search, sense motive)
Persuasion (diplomacy, intimidate, haggle)
Profession
Spellcraft
Stealth (hide, MS, sleight of hand)
Survival (includes use rope)
Use Magic Device

The main thing I’m concerned about is how may skills to give different classes. Should rogues still get 8+int with this new system or should the classes get fewer skills select as trained?

Also I’m a little unsure as to how to deal with speak language perhaps if people gave up one skill for 2 languages?

Any constructive thoughts or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Flobby

Explorer
Sidekick said:
So I’m planning on overhauling the current skill system into something more like what Star Wars Saga edition has. The whole trained untrained distinction with characters getting better at ALL skills as they go up in levels.

Here’s my proposed skill list with the skills that they subsume from the current system.

Acrobatics (balance, escape artist, tumble)
Climb
Craft (all individ)
Deception (forgery, bluff, disguise)
Disable Device (disable device & open locks)
Endurance (swim, forced marches, ignore hunger/thirst, running)
Gather Information
Handle Animal (include in Ride?)
Heal (current rules)
Jump
Knowledge (all individ as per usual)
Perception (Listen, spot, search, sense motive)
Persuasion (diplomacy, intimidate, haggle)
Profession
Spellcraft
Stealth (hide, MS, sleight of hand)
Survival (includes use rope)
Use Magic Device

The main thing I’m concerned about is how may skills to give different classes. Should rogues still get 8+int with this new system or should the classes get fewer skills select as trained?

Also I’m a little unsure as to how to deal with speak language perhaps if people gave up one skill for 2 languages?

Any constructive thoughts or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

I would get rid of Disable Device and put it into Craft.
Craft-- create, disalbe, repair anything mechanical
And then put all the other Craft stuff (thats not directly involved in the action) into Profession.

I think the Profession skill should be just that-- all the "off-camera" stuff.
Which is why I would put SOME Handle Animal into Ride and some into Profession.

And also why not put Spellcraft and Use Magic Device together?

As for languages, just do it like Star Wars does-- replace it with a feat (I forgot the name of the feat! Linguist?)

GlassEye

Adventurer
Athletics (includes Climb & Jump, possibly Swim)
Handle Animal (includes Ride; makes more sense than making Handle Animal part of Ride, imo)

I don't know if you plan on keeping the Endurance feat but it might be a bit confusing to have a feat and a skill with the same name.

Branduil

Hero
I'm doing the same thing.

Here's what I did differently:

Climb, Jump, and Swim are one skill: Athletics.
I also combined Disable Device and Open Locks and renamed it Mechanics.
I kept Sleight of Hand separate and combined it with Use Rope.
Where did you put Decipher Script? I combined it with forgery and renamed the skills "Cryptology."

For skill points, there are two things I did. I put Craft, Knowledge, Profession, and Perform in a separate category called Secondary Skills. All of these skills are class skills for every character, and all characters get 2+Int mod trained skills in this category, separate from normal skills. Then I'd do something like 5+Int mod skills for the Rogue, 4+Int mod for Bard and Ranger, 3+ for Barbarian, Druid, and Monk, and 2+ for Cleric, Fighter, Paladin, Wizard, and Sorcerer.

GlassJaw

Hero
Sidekick, you might want to post this in the OGL forum as well. There's been a lot of talk on SAGA in there. Gneech has done a lot of working of converting SAGA for fantasy so I'm sure he'll have something to add on this.

It's definitely something I'm interested in as well.

Remove ads