• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

soldier instead of warlord

I know there have been many threads about the warlord as a class. Rather then jump in the middle I figured why not start another one? I'd prefer the class to be named the soldier.

Like fighter, soldier is a job and not so much a description. They take orders and they give orders. To me, soldier implies slightly more organization and disciple than a fighter.

And, in the real world, soldier can have either positive or negative connotations. It is more neutral sounding than warlord.

Finally, I'd enjoy playing a soldier. To me, it just sounds better to say I'm playing a 5th level soldier than a 5th level warlord.

JVisgaitis

Explorer
In your game then house rule the name and change it. Problem solved! :)

Seriously, why are people so hung up on names? Just CHANGE THEM. There are no adverse issues that arise from changing a name you don't like to something else...

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Because names are evocative of certain connotations and the base class names should be as generic as possible?

That said, I don't like "soldier" either - but "warlord" is just not right.

Merlin the Tuna

First Post
Kravell said:
I know there have been many threads about the warlord as a class. Rather then jump in the middle I figured why not start another one? I'd prefer the class to be named the soldier.
There's a sticky with your name on it at the top of the thread list.

GoodKingJayIII

First Post
I think Warlord is fine. People are hung up on the "lord" part, but it's an interesting name that kinda jumps out at you.

Honestly, I'd rather they come up with a new name for Fighter. I'm all for more interesting and less generic.

Shieldhaven

Explorer
Captain, maybe?

Its leadership connotations are, if anything, even more blatant, but they apply freely to an army, a navy, or a sports team. Also... it worked for Lord of the Rings Online, and at least that's different from (being facetious here!) stealing everything from WoW. ;)

And I'm entirely agreed on just changing names you don't like. "Barbarian" was the first against the wall in my D&D 3.5 game. They're "berserkers," since that term describes a way of fighting rather than simply identifying someone as a cultural outsider.

Haven

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
GoodKingJayIII said:
I think Warlord is fine. People are hung up on the "lord" part, but it's an interesting name that kinda jumps out at you.
I like Warlord a lot. I'd like it more if it wasn't so close to Warlock.

BASHMAN

Basic Action Games
My votes for Captain too.

As for people saying, "How DARE you ask them to change the name. Just houserule it" I have three words for you: Dragon's Tail Cut.

Remove ads