Once you go C&C, you never go back

After you tried Castles & Crusades, did you switch to it?

• Yes.

Votes: 55 24.9%
  • No.

Votes: 123 55.7%
  • Liked it, but not enough to switch.

Votes: 43 19.5%

Frost

First Post
It seems like whenever someone posts about Troll Lord Games' Castle & Crusades game, it's very positive. Something along the lines of, "That's why I switched to C&C," or "Once I played C&C, I instantly feel in love with it."

Has anyone played it and not liked it?

Edit: How the heck to edit the poll? I'd like to add an "I now play both" option.

Last edited:

SteveC

Doing the best imitation of myself
Uh no. I've played C&C...even did a demo game with the Troll Lord guys (who are fantastic, by the way). I really like the SIEGE engine mechanic...it's very nice. The rest of the game, no way. Been there, done that...got the T-shirt.

I stay out of debates on the issue, because I don't really have much to add, but also because the guys behind the game are so darn nice. Frankly, I think that's why you don't see a lot more criticism of the game: while some of the game's defenders can be argumentative at times, the actual authors are professional, and nice people to boot!

But no, it's not the game for me.

--Steve

Tried it.
Liked it.
Switched to it for my main game.
Still play it, but it's heavily house-ruled; at this point my C&C game might as well be AD&D. (And it's no longer my "first choice" system -- OD&D[1974] has usurped that position.)
Still think it's a great game, in any case.

Last edited:

Wormwood

Adventurer
Tried it, thought it achieved the goals it set for itself, and never played it again.

When I wanted to run a simple, easy-to-learn D&D game for my wife and nephews, C&C never even crossed my mind.

(Thankfully, my old Moldvay Basic set came to the rescue and we had a great time!)

diaglo

Adventurer
Philotomy Jurament said:
Tried it.
Liked it.
Switched to it for my main game.
Still play it, but it's heavily house-ruled; at this point my C&C game might as well be AD&D. (And it's no longer my "first choice" system -- OD&D[1974] has usurped that position.)

i could've told you.

diaglo "the cassandra of rpgs" Ooi

Buttercup

Princess of Florin
Obryn just kindly gave me his books, because he didn't want them. I've yet to run a C&C game, but I sure would like to.

Probably I would houserule it a tiny bit, like take out the Monk, use 4d6 drop the lowest for stat generation and *maybe* use that class based die roll for damage so that weapon choice became a story element rather than an actual mechanical choice.

And of course in my game there will be no elves.

Ulrick

First Post
I bought it and really liked it at first (despite the spelling errors in the PHB). But then I figured, "this is a lot like AD&D, so why don't I just play 1st Edition AD&D?"

One thing that I didn't like about C&C was the test resolution system where you needed two numbers depending on if a character specialized in an attribute.

But it was a nice rules-lite d20 system, compatible with both old and new D&D products.

Odhanan

Adventurer
Frost said:
Has anyone played it and not liked it?

Where's the option for "I play it happily, just like I play other editions just as happily"? I'm actually considering building my own "AC&C" for old school gaming right now.

I really like it but still would/will run games with Third Ed too. I am satisfied by both but they provide different kinds of fun. Nothing wrong with that. So I voted "Yes".

Last edited:

Split the Hoard

Split the Hoard
Negotiate, demand, or steal the loot you desire!

A competitive card game for 2-5 players
Remove ads