• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Locations in the POL world

~Johnny~

First Post
To satisfy my nerdy need to categorize information available to me, I'm trying to come up with a list of the what we know about the geography and civlizations of the default "Points of Light" setting.

Here's what I've seen:

"As kingdoms and empires grew and collapsed -- the human realm of Nerath, the dragonborn Arkhosia, the tiefling Bael Turath, and countless nations before them -- the elves remained in their woodland homes, mostly unaffected by the rise and fall of nations." (source)

"The [DMG example] town is called Fallcrest, and I'm pretty proud of it. It's a trading town located at the falls of a big river, where folks stop and portage cargo around the falls. I've made sure to include several potential dungeons right in the town (Fallcrest is a small town built atop the ruins of a larger city). At the moment I've also got a good-sized area around the town included in the description, so that you know where the nearby towns are too, and half a dozen good potential dungeon sites and adventures within a couple days' travel."
(source)

"The town of Winterhaven stands watch over a ruined keep that was once a bastion of good in the realm. This keep overlooks the Shadow Rift, a dark scar in the world that was once a gateway to the Shadowfell but has been dormant for many years." (source)

"Beneath Thunderspire Mountain lies a sprawling network of mazes, tombs, and caverns collectively known as the Labyrinth of Lost Souls. In recent years, this vast labyrinth has become a living dungeon where trade between the surface and subterranean worlds is possible. However, beyond the well-lit halls where prospectors, merchants, and traders convene lies a darker world where adventurers battle monsters and fiendish beings perform secret rituals for their dark masters." (source)

"The ancient trees of the Shadowsong Forest have borne witness to the passing of epochs, and hidden beneath their dark canopies are the remains of empires long departed. Few souls brave enough to explore the primeval forest ever return, for countless horrors haunt the crumbled ruins. When a band of evil criminals seeks refuge within the darkest reaches of the forest, brave adventurers are needed to root them out. The trail leads to the heart of the woods, wherein looms the greatest secret of all — the Pyramid of Shadows." (source)

My copy of Races and Classes hasn't arrived. Any other mentions there? And does anyone know if the places mentioned in Greg Bilsland's playtest reports (Ionia, Telder, Teluvia) are from the Points of Light setting?

PrinceXaxor

First Post
Races and Classes has a boat-load of geographic locations. Just from the Elves section...

Howling Forest
Durkellwood
Daggermoor
Mount Keannor
Haruani Archipelago

And that's just page 36.

Xethreau

Josh Gentry - Author, Minister in Training
If you ask me, these are probably locations designed to be dropped anywhere into any world. That's one of the many beautys of PoL.

Remove ads